What stem do you use w/ your K-wing??

kuss

Sep 17, 2004
OK, been checking out the FSA website and there are too many stem choices!

K-Force: carbon, 160g
K-Force Lite: carbon, 135g
OS-115: alum, 138g

... and 3 other heavier aluminums...

I ask because I noticed Saeco uses the OS-115 with the K-wing... any reason not to use a carbon stem other than the cost and the old strength issues (put to rest, IMHO)??

There are a lot of inexpensive Al stems out there that weigh in at the same. Performance has a 4 bolt Al stem that's normally $25 on sale that's around 135g at 100mm, and Supergo has a nbunch of $10 sale stems that hover around 130-160g.

How much are the ones you're looking at? Carbon or expensive stems seem to be a huge waste of money.

kuss said:

kuss said:

I ask because I noticed Saeco uses the OS-115 with the K-wing... any reason not to use a carbon stem other than the cost and the old strength issues (put to rest, IMHO)??

Perhaps Team Saeco think the FSA carbon stems flex too much for sprinting, or believe the aluminum gives an extra margin of strength. Maybe they had an FSA CF stem fail for some reason.

In any case, I wouldn't go cheap on the stem, or worry about saving a few grams in this vital part. This is one place on the bike I'm willing to pay for a top-quality piece.

You spent a lot for the bars already. I'd go with the standard K-Force stem with your K-wing bar.

kuss said:

Petacchi use the heaviest deda stem I think, aluminium. I kind of fail to see the reason for a carbon stem other than maybe to reduce vibration if that is an issue? The latest review I saw of carbon cranks was that they flexed more than it is aluminum counterpart, it was Chris Boardman that said this. So, carbon seems to be a bit of bling bling.

Claes said:
Petacchi use the heaviest deda stem I think, aluminium. I kind of fail to see the reason for a carbon stem other than maybe to reduce vibration if that is an issue? The latest review I saw of carbon cranks was that they flexed more than it is aluminum counterpart, it was Chris Boardman that said this. So, carbon seems to be a bit of bling bling.

Agree the pros probably want a stiff stem and bars for sprinting and climbs.

But a good CF part that weighs the same as an AL or steel one should be stiffer, not weaker. (Compare steel vs CF forks for example) If CF bars, stems and cranks aren't there already, believe they will be shortly.

I'll bet the heavier FSA carbon stem is just fine for most of us. My buddy with the Evoke is a big power rider and didn't mention anything about flex in his FSA stem/bars. I've got FSA CF cranks, and don't notice any (torsional) flex in them at all. Of course, I'm no Chris Boardman!

IMO, many people tend to select the lightest components on the market, just thinking lighter is better, without considering the stiffness/strength factor.