What The Best Types Of Carbohydrates

Fiber
Complex carbohydrates are found in plant-based, fiber-rich foods such as grains, legumes, seeds and vegetables. Although fiber passes through your body undigested, it has an important function in supporting weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight for your body type. There are two types of dietary fiber, soluble and insoluble. Both of these play key roles in facilitating healthy digestion and balancing blood glucose levels. Fiber helps bulk up digested food in the intestines. This slows digestion, allowing glucose to be released into the blood at a slower, steadier rate for balanced energy production.

Whole Grains
Dietary fiber is an important component of whole grains such as wheat, rye, barley and quinoa. Brown, unpolished rice is also a whole grain. These foods are complex carbohydrates because they still contain their bran or germ layer, which contains fiber and nutrients. However, the University of Maryland Medical Center notes that when whole grains are transformed into processed, white flour and white rice, this fiber-rich layer is removed leaving behind simple, starchy carbohydrates. Eating whole grain breads, pastas and brown rice instead of the white varieties can help you to lose weight and get lean.
I think that brown rice contains less calories than whole white rice. That's why it helps in losing weight. Am I right?

So what's the reailty? What misunderstanding am I having?
Glycemic index is real. Just ask any diabetic, endocrinologist, or dietitian. Different types of carbs are broken down differently and turned into glucose at different rates. This is just basic stuff.

Oh, and could you do us all a favor? Either multi-quote or just quit with the consecutive one and two line responses. There is no reason to be making multiple consecutive one or two line comments that cause other peoples stuff to scroll when you could just handle it in one message.

Fruits don't last long in your system, either. Especially if you have a high metabolism. So rather than use the term "best" carbs--ask what carbs give you the most lasting value for the calories. The answer would be the more complex carbs, such as beans, whole grains, and veggies. Then, make a list among those foods of your favorites. You'll stay with it longer.

Reactions: Jcycle
Fruits don't last long in your system, either. Especially if you have a high metabolism. So rather than use the term "best" carbs--ask what carbs give you the most lasting value for the calories. The answer would be the more complex carbs, such as beans, whole grains, and veggies. Then, make a list among those foods of your favorites. You'll stay with it longer.

Another thing to consider is many vegetables have absolutely no measurable impact on blood glucose levels. You want something in between the fast action of many fruits and the almost non existent impact of many vegetables.

Yes, I think that's why trail mixes are so popular. They provide a combination of nuts, seeds, whole grains, and a little salt and sugar. All in a portable package that slips into a pocket of your jeans or jacket, so it can be in easy reach. It's also hard to find good veggies and fruits that travel well, or that last for longer periods without getting stale or losing their flavor. Another popular food to take while cycling is sports bars like granola or other pressed grains.

Glycemic index is real. Just ask any diabetic, endocrinologist, or dietitian. Different types of carbs are broken down differently and turned into glucose at different rates. This is just basic stuff.

I agree. I worked 2 years on an Endocrinology ward in the hospital I'm employed at. In the event of hypogycaemia we give fast acting carbs-fruit juice, sugar water, jam etc and then we follow up with either bread or pasta to sustain the glucose levels. (Jam sandwiches are great because they contain both...as long as you're well enough to eat/swallow of course)

Personally I like to get my carbs from green veg because it's not so heavy but it wouldn't do much for helping with exercise. Like other people have stated, eating carbs like potatoes, pasta and rice a few hours before going on your ride and then having fruit or fruit juices just before you go will help with energy.

Green vegetables may technically be carbohydrate, but they don't really count. Your body does not process them in the same way and they have no impact on blood glucose levels. You don't really get your carbs from them, so for the purpose of this topic they probably shouldn't be included to be honest.

Green vegetables may technically be carbohydrate, but they don't really count. Your body does not process them in the same way and they have no impact on blood glucose levels. You don't really get your carbs from them, so for the purpose of this topic they probably shouldn't be included to be honest.

I did say that I like them in my personal diet but they wouldn't be any good for exercise. They are still carbs though and I think I should be able to decide whether to include them in this topic or not.

I did say that I like them in my personal diet but they wouldn't be any good for exercise. They are still carbs though and I think I should be able to decide whether to include them in this topic or not.

Don't read animosity into my words that isn't there. I just shared my opinion, nobody said you have to agree, nor am I trying to tell you what to do. I was just pointing out that for dietary purposes they are not carbs even if they are on a technicality. They don't get broken down into glucose.

Don't read animosity into my words that isn't there. I just shared my opinion, nobody said you have to agree, nor am I trying to tell you what to do. I was just pointing out that for dietary purposes they are not carbs even if they are on a technicality. They don't get broken down into glucose.

My comment on green veg was part of a larger point, my post clearly says they wouldn't be any good for exercise. My opinion is that you did tell me what to do by saying I shouldn't have included it. I'm not entirely sure what value you have added by nit picking.

My comment on green veg was part of a larger point, my post clearly says they wouldn't be any good for exercise. My opinion is that you did tell me what to do by saying I shouldn't have included it. I'm not entirely sure what value you have added by nit picking.

Okay, you obviously have some sort of issue, rest assured it is yours and not mine. I'll just put you on ignore. Go find somebody else to pick fights with.

I beg to differ, white pasta is just made up of empty calories. If you really love pasta, there's wholegrain/meal pasta that is a far better option although not many people love it. White pasta has all the good nutrients removed by refining. I will agree with joshposh that raw vegetables cannot be beaten as the best carbohydrates.

The best natural carbohydrates are from raw vegetables. They have to be raw and not cooked. Once you cook them they lose 90% of it's nutritional value. SO NEVER COOK THEM!!! Fruits are high in fructose which turns into fat cells once your insulin is spiked due to fructose and high GI foods. Bread, wheat, and sugar are the high GI carbs that you want to stay away from.
Among all the high-card stuffs you pointed, sugar is the most dangerous one. I agree with you. We should eat the vegetables in the raw state. Personally, I never cook them.

Bananas, Sweet Potatoes and other root crops are great good sources of fibre and carbohydrates. It's also a source of vitamins and minerals like vitamin A and potassium.

I usually just go with the carb sources readily available for me which provide me enough energy before biking, mostly bread, rice, or root crops.

Many people are confused about carbohydrates, but keep in mind that it’s more important to eat carbohydrates from healthy foods than to follow a strict diet limiting or counting the number of grams of carbohydrates consumed.

That’s where the confusion comes in. Some doctors talk about the glycemic index. Others blame insulin surges. Some rail against individual ingredients like high fructose corn syrup. And others want to know about your metabolic rate. Getting bleary-eyed? Why wouldn’t you – and for that matter, everyone else?

Fill your daily diet with real food, that is, carbohydrates that look as if they actually came out of the earth. Eat whole corn kernels, for example, instead of corn flakes. Reach for a whole orange instead of orange “vitamin water,” or even orange juice.
Steer clear of fake carbs. By fake, we mean food that is more a product of factories than of the soil. Fake carbs are foods that have been so overly processed – fiber stripped, nutrients stripped, water squeezed out, fat added, salt added, sugar added, calories added.

Many people are confused about carbohydrates, but keep in mind that it’s more important to eat carbohydrates from healthy foods than to follow a strict diet limiting or counting the number of grams of carbohydrates consumed.

That’s where the confusion comes in. Some doctors talk about the glycemic index. Others blame insulin surges. Some rail against individual ingredients like high fructose corn syrup. And others want to know about your metabolic rate. Getting bleary-eyed? Why wouldn’t you – and for that matter, everyone else?

Fill your daily diet with real food, that is, carbohydrates that look as if they actually came out of the earth. Eat whole corn kernels, for example, instead of corn flakes. Reach for a whole orange instead of orange “vitamin water,” or even orange juice.
Steer clear of fake carbs. By fake, we mean food that is more a product of factories than of the soil. Fake carbs are foods that have been so overly processed – fiber stripped, nutrients stripped, water squeezed out, fat added, salt added, sugar added, calories added.
I agree with you. We should eat the vegetables in the raw state. Personally, I never cook them.

That’s where the confusion comes in. Some doctors talk about the glycemic index. Others blame insulin surges. Some rail against individual ingredients like high fructose corn syrup.mouse clicker And others want to know about your metabolic rate. Getting bleary-eyed? Why wouldn’t you – and for that matter, everyone else?

I agree with you. We should eat the vegetables in the raw state. Personally, I never cook them.

While all carbs break down into glucose, the best carbs for your health are the ones you'll eat in their closest-to-nature state as possible: vegetables, fruit, pulses, legumes, unsweetened dairy products, and 100% whole grains, like brown rice, quinoa, wheat, and oats.
check Blog.