What The Best Types Of Carbohydrates

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by carleencarleen, May 13, 2015.

1. cyclenthusias44

I think that brown rice contains less calories than whole white rice. That's why it helps in losing weight. Am I right?

2. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

Glycemic index is real. Just ask any diabetic, endocrinologist, or dietitian. Different types of carbs are broken down differently and turned into glucose at different rates. This is just basic stuff.

Oh, and could you do us all a favor? Either multi-quote or just quit with the consecutive one and two line responses. There is no reason to be making multiple consecutive one or two line comments that cause other peoples stuff to scroll when you could just handle it in one message.

3. judyd1

judyd1 New Member

Fruits don't last long in your system, either. Especially if you have a high metabolism. So rather than use the term "best" carbs--ask what carbs give you the most lasting value for the calories. The answer would be the more complex carbs, such as beans, whole grains, and veggies. Then, make a list among those foods of your favorites. You'll stay with it longer.

Jcycle likes this.
  4. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

Another thing to consider is many vegetables have absolutely no measurable impact on blood glucose levels. You want something in between the fast action of many fruits and the almost non existent impact of many vegetables.

5. judyd1

judyd1 New Member

Yes, I think that's why trail mixes are so popular. They provide a combination of nuts, seeds, whole grains, and a little salt and sugar. All in a portable package that slips into a pocket of your jeans or jacket, so it can be in easy reach. It's also hard to find good veggies and fruits that travel well, or that last for longer periods without getting stale or losing their flavor. Another popular food to take while cycling is sports bars like granola or other pressed grains.

6. lisasian86

lisasian86 New Member

I agree. I worked 2 years on an Endocrinology ward in the hospital I'm employed at. In the event of hypogycaemia we give fast acting carbs-fruit juice, sugar water, jam etc and then we follow up with either bread or pasta to sustain the glucose levels. (Jam sandwiches are great because they contain both...as long as you're well enough to eat/swallow of course)

Personally I like to get my carbs from green veg because it's not so heavy but it wouldn't do much for helping with exercise. Like other people have stated, eating carbs like potatoes, pasta and rice a few hours before going on your ride and then having fruit or fruit juices just before you go will help with energy.

7. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

Green vegetables may technically be carbohydrate, but they don't really count. Your body does not process them in the same way and they have no impact on blood glucose levels. You don't really get your carbs from them, so for the purpose of this topic they probably shouldn't be included to be honest.

8. lisasian86

lisasian86 New Member

I did say that I like them in my personal diet but they wouldn't be any good for exercise. They are still carbs though and I think I should be able to decide whether to include them in this topic or not.

9. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

Don't read animosity into my words that isn't there. I just shared my opinion, nobody said you have to agree, nor am I trying to tell you what to do. I was just pointing out that for dietary purposes they are not carbs even if they are on a technicality. They don't get broken down into glucose.

10. lisasian86

lisasian86 New Member

My comment on green veg was part of a larger point, my post clearly says they wouldn't be any good for exercise. My opinion is that you did tell me what to do by saying I shouldn't have included it. I'm not entirely sure what value you have added by nit picking.

11. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

Okay, you obviously have some sort of issue, rest assured it is yours and not mine. I'll just put you on ignore. Go find somebody else to pick fights with.

12. HealthAndVitality

HealthAndVitality New Member

I beg to differ, white pasta is just made up of empty calories. If you really love pasta, there's wholegrain/meal pasta that is a far better option although not many people love it. White pasta has all the good nutrients removed by refining. I will agree with joshposh that raw vegetables cannot be beaten as the best carbohydrates.

13. neednoexcuse

neednoexcuse Member

Among all the high-card stuffs you pointed, sugar is the most dangerous one. I agree with you. We should eat the vegetables in the raw state. Personally, I never cook them.

14. Kakashi

Kakashi Active Member

Bananas, Sweet Potatoes and other root crops are great good sources of fibre and carbohydrates. It's also a source of vitamins and minerals like vitamin A and potassium.

15. treecko142

treecko142 Member

I usually just go with the carb sources readily available for me which provide me enough energy before biking, mostly bread, rice, or root crops.

16. bryangreene

bryangreene New Member

Many people are confused about carbohydrates, but keep in mind that it’s more important to eat carbohydrates from healthy foods than to follow a strict diet limiting or counting the number of grams of carbohydrates consumed.

That’s where the confusion comes in. Some doctors talk about the glycemic index. Others blame insulin surges. Some rail against individual ingredients like high fructose corn syrup. And others want to know about your metabolic rate. Getting bleary-eyed? Why wouldn’t you – and for that matter, everyone else?

Fill your daily diet with real food, that is, carbohydrates that look as if they actually came out of the earth. Eat whole corn kernels, for example, instead of corn flakes. Reach for a whole orange instead of orange “vitamin water,” or even orange juice.
    Steer clear of fake carbs. By fake, we mean food that is more a product of factories than of the soil. Fake carbs are foods that have been so overly processed – fiber stripped, nutrients stripped, water squeezed out, fat added, salt added, sugar added, calories added.

17. RickHarley

RickHarley New Member

Im using special sports nutrition approximately 5000 calories per day and my doctor advice me do winstrol cycle.

18. RickHarley

RickHarley New Member

Just do it Dude!