What The Best Types Of Carbohydrates

May 13, 2015
New York
www.hits4slim.com
For this reason, several studies have tried to determine what the best types of carbohydrates to eat before training or competitions develop.
Low GI carbs

Most studies to date suggest that eating carbohydrates low to moderate GI (glycemic index), which allows a nutritional strategy that works best in terms of sports performance and also offers several other advantages, such as decreased fatigue sensitivity and better maintenance of the energy input during training or sporting event.

Yeah there really isn't a point in the GI index. All carbohydrates really are the same. Just try to eat a lot of pasta. That really works more than any other carb I have seen.

Reactions: yessupply
The solution should be isotonic to allow rapid emptying of the stomach and therefore absorbtion

Glycemic Index importance depends on the athlete's insulin sensitivity.

Straight maltodextrin is not too bad during exercise.

Wheat is evil unless you want a leaky gut and associated toxic effects and various automimmune diseases.

Reactions: Vickeree
I use carbs with a low glycemic index anyway because I am diabetic. I am not surprised they are being recommended for others as well. I don't agree with the "all carbohydrates are the same" philosophy. I haven't seen the science to back it up.

complex carbs, because there is more potential energy in them. So the best food for an athlete to eat the night before a game would be a plate full of spaghetti and a slice of whole wheat bread, o and dont forget to drink a lot of water.(any type of pasta will do I just love spaghetti)

Two or more hours before working out or competition: complex. The reason is because these take a while to digest, so by the time the body breaks it down into simple, usable carbs, they'll be in the middle of working out/competing.

Within two hours and immediately after working out or competition: simple carbs. The reason is because shortly before the workout/competition, simple carbs are needed to provide energy. During workout/competition, the body uses up something called "glycogen stores." These are storages of glycogen (a simple sugar) in the muscles, and they deplete during aerobic exercise (exercise lasting more than 2 sustained minutes). Immediately after the workout/competition, these need to be replenished by quick carbs, from anything from an apple to a soda.

Go for only complex carbs. So basically fruits and vegetables. Stuff like oats and grains will work too. It's even better if the vegetables you eat are raw. I'd go with something like broccoli as that actually tastes better raw than cooked anyway.

steve said:
The way you chew food is enough to change it from being high GI to very low GI. This alone makes the whole index completely useless. http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v68/n1/full/ejcn2013231a.html

Weatherby said:
The solution should be isotonic to allow rapid emptying of the stomach and therefore absorbtion

Glycemic Index importance depends on the athlete's insulin sensitivity.

Straight maltodextrin is not too bad during exercise.

Wheat is evil unless you want a leaky gut and associated toxic effects and various automimmune diseases.
Interesting! I had no idea chewing had any effect on GI. Too bad that study is hidden behind a paywall, do you you have another link that isn't? Do you have a copy of the study you can share?
I am going to do a little google-fu and see if I can come up with some other sources or journals about this subject.

I don't follow you about wheat being evil. Wheat has been a staple in the human diet since the great leap forward. My 80 year old grandfather eats wheat daily and he is in great shape, he doesn't have to take a single type of any medication yet. He doesn't have a leaky gut or any autoimmune disorders.
I have not yet come across any legitimate sources that back up the notion that gluten or wheat is bad for you.
I have noticed there has been a lot of fad misinformation in the media lately. Gluten-free diets for non-celiacs, vaccines being bad for you, irrational fears about microwaves, a push back against dairy(people are now trying to tell me that milk is bad for us, ha) people who think here is some "cure" for cancer other than combination therapy via medical oncology
NONE of these fears are back by any legitimate studies (double-blind and peer reviewed.)
I love the internet, but I am dismayed by it's power to spread dangerous misinformation.

I don't know if your question was asked in the generic context or from the perspective of a cyclist. Generally speaking, consuming complex carbohydrates is good for metabolism as they don't digest quickly and require a lot of work from your body. They also contain fiber and is good for regulating your bowels. From a cyclist's point of view, you need a quick burst of energy as well as long-acting carbohydrates, to keep you ticking for the entire length of your riding session. I think Bananas are an excellent source of energy and are the ideal carbs for a cyclist or any athlete. Wheat malt, oats, and ragi porridge are also good.

I try to avoid a refined foods, so I would say brown rice and quinoa are probably too good carbs to fuel you. Personally, I do not eat a lot of carbs. I think my diet would be considered reduced carb, higher fat and moderate protein according to what "they" say a person should be eating, but I am eating healthy fats like coconut oil, hempseed oil, nuts, grass fed beef. My body seems to be much happier eating this way than when I ate mote carbs.

I'd advocate for brown bread with a generous intake of pure honey. It should give you lot of energy and sustain you for a long spell of bike riding. Bananas are yet another prime source energy and do a world of good to any athlete. Biking is no exception.

The best carbohydrates are sprouted, or germinated, grains and beans. Germination activates enzymes that nourish the body's cells and renders the seed more easily metalobized. Sprouted mung beans are my go-to, as they're very easy to sprout at home and I've even found packages of dried sprouted mung beans in local markets. Sprouted mung beans pack a lot of protein as well as carbohydrates, and they're yummy raw or cooked. I toss them on a salad or in broth for a delicious and filling power meal.

Potatoes the night before. Sweet potatoes or any of the other ones. Lots of fruit that morning when you train. I find bananas are the best fruit and make it a shake so you can get a ton in. The fructose and fiber is really good for you before heavy training.

Ha ha ha @swampy1970 I like taking fruits before going out for training. I can take it as a salad made of variety or otherwise. I don't seem to stomach anything else before training.

The best natural carbohydrates are from raw vegetables. They have to be raw and not cooked. Once you cook them they lose 90% of it's nutritional value. SO NEVER COOK THEM!!! Fruits are high in fructose which turns into fat cells once your insulin is spiked due to fructose and high GI foods. Bread, wheat, and sugar are the high GI carbs that you want to stay away from.