What The Best Types Of Carbohydrates

Interesting study! Although I would advise taking these studies with a grain of salt, it is interesting that glycimic index can be affected just by chewing! However the study only used rice ( which I love and occasionally eat a ton of it) and I wish there are further studies on other types of carbs. I mainly get my carbs by blending a ton of frozen vegetables although sometimes I indulge in mixing a couple of teaspoons of nuttela on my veggie shake :p

I like pasta sometimes, but more often I'll go with brown rice or quinoa. I also enjoy whole grain bread so peanut butter toast is a snack I make a lot, as well as fruit and veggie based smoothies. For those I usually keep a few different bags of fruit in the freezer and use whatever I have on hand as well as some vegetables and soft tofu.

Thanks for the information. I tend to stick with oatmeal. Foska oats is the best. I love having proteins smoothies too, which I make myself. Sometimes i put a little peanut in it, bananas, soy or lasko milk, cooked potato, and the whole works.

I don't follow you about wheat being evil. Wheat has been a staple in the human diet since the great leap forward. My 80 year old grandfather eats wheat daily and he is in great shape, he doesn't have to take a single type of any medication yet. He doesn't have a leaky gut or any autoimmune disorders.
I have not yet come across any legitimate sources that back up the notion that gluten or wheat is bad for you.

Start with Dr. Perlmutter's book.

The real fad diet is USDA's food pyramid that thrust complex carbs down our throats in general and Senator Mcgovern's dogmatic war on fat that has resulted in many health issues over the past 30+ years.

You know how out upside down diet came about" A labor reporter cobbed them up and ultimately a panel voted on them despite broad disagreement but ultimately, the food producers got their way

"Concerns that were raised with the first dietary recommendations 30 y ago have yet to be adequately addressed. The initial Dietary Goals for Americans (1977) proposed increases in carbohydrate intake and decreases in fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, and salt consumption that are carried further in the 2010 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (DGAC) Report. Important aspects of these recommendations remain unproven, yet a dietary shift in this direction has already taken place even as overweight/obesity and diabetes have increased. "​

http://www.drperlmutter.com/about/grain-brain-by-david-perlmutter/

http://www.foodpolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/Hegsted.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/.../article/S0899-9007(10)00289-3/fulltext#sec12

Start with Dr. Perlmutter's book.

The real fad diet is USDA's food pyramid that thrust complex carbs down our throats in general and Senator Mcgovern's dogmatic war on fat that has resulted in many health issues over the past 30+ years.

You know how out upside down diet came about" A labor reporter cobbed them up and ultimately a panel voted on them despite broad disagreement but ultimately, the food producers got their way

"Concerns that were raised with the first dietary recommendations 30 y ago have yet to be adequately addressed. The initial Dietary Goals for Americans (1977) proposed increases in carbohydrate intake and decreases in fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, and salt consumption that are carried further in the 2010 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (DGAC) Report. Important aspects of these recommendations remain unproven, yet a dietary shift in this direction has already taken place even as overweight/obesity and diabetes have increased. "​

http://www.drperlmutter.com/about/grain-brain-by-david-perlmutter/

http://www.foodpolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/Hegsted.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/.../article/S0899-9007(10)00289-3/fulltext#sec12

Good post.

It does not have to be very complicated to eat well.
Just eat well rounded meals with a variety of different foods and you should be fine.

Personally, I love carbs. I eat white rice everyday for my meals. But I don't take too much of it, maybe just half a bowl. I cannot feel full without it unfortunately and I tried removing it from my diet, but I just felt weak. I didn't really like the brown rice variety so sometimes, I just mix the two, white and brown, just to still have the taste of white rice.

I eat vegetables on a daily basis as well but we cook it. I try eating them raw sometimes, but I'm still not used to it.

Complex carbs are the best type of carbohydrates you can eat, which also increase your energy throughout the day and keep you full for longer. Complex carbs include stuff like brown rice, veggies and cereal such as oats.

Some carbs before and after a training session or a competition can usually make a big difference!

All carbs get broken down to the same thing by the time they get to the intestines so it's all the same to me.

They all basically hit it on the nail when saying that all carbs are the same. Being a vegetarian sometimes is hard to get nutrients in but pasta has always done me good.

The way you chew food is enough to change it from being high GI to very low GI. This alone makes the whole index completely useless. http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v68/n1/full/ejcn2013231a.html
Really? chewing screws up the carbohydrate index? How come I never heard of this fact? It's not easy to belief without solid evidence. After all, every food particle breaks down into the tiniest amount whether we chewed or not.

And regarding OP, best carbohydrate are from natural sources like jaggery, honey, potato.

Fiber
Complex carbohydrates are found in plant-based, fiber-rich foods such as grains, legumes, seeds and vegetables. Although fiber passes through your body undigested, it has an important function in supporting weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight for your body type. There are two types of dietary fiber, soluble and insoluble. Both of these play key roles in facilitating healthy digestion and balancing blood glucose levels. Fiber helps bulk up digested food in the intestines. This slows digestion, allowing glucose to be released into the blood at a slower, steadier rate for balanced energy production.

Whole Grains
Dietary fiber is an important component of whole grains such as wheat, rye, barley and quinoa. Brown, unpolished rice is also a whole grain. These foods are complex carbohydrates because they still contain their bran or germ layer, which contains fiber and nutrients. However, the University of Maryland Medical Center notes that when whole grains are transformed into processed, white flour and white rice, this fiber-rich layer is removed leaving behind simple, starchy carbohydrates. Eating whole grain breads, pastas and brown rice instead of the white varieties can help you to lose weight and get lean.

Reactions: cyclenthusias44
according to me, I will suggest corn,banana,breakfast cereals and white potatoes because I was very fat and I used to think what to do on my body to be healthy.Earlier my mind was not too good to be happy and be mentally alert and feel fresh always and then my friend suggested me to take these meals and avoid eating too much high calories food as this was the main reason of my fat.After I started eating these cereals and just after a couple of weeks I noticed that I was always feeling good and happy from inside and I started receiving comments from my friends about my body which was getting the perfect shape and then I am leaving a happy life and not being ashamed of going out with my friends.

according to me, I will suggest corn,banana,breakfast cereals and white potatoes because I was very fat and I used to think what to do on my body to be healthy.Earlier my mind was not too good to be happy and be mentally alert and feel fresh always and then my friend suggested me to take these meals and avoid eating too much high calories food as this was the main reason of my fat.After I started eating these cereals and just after a couple of weeks I noticed that I was always feeling good and happy from inside and I started receiving comments from my friends about my body which was getting the perfect shape and then I am leaving a happy life and not being ashamed of going out with my friends.

Trying to read all that gave me a headache. A crime has been committed here. A crime against form and communication.

I am not a dietitian and not pretending to be one when I created the thread about beef as energy food. Again, I am basing this post on what I read about athletes in the Philippines. Mostly those from the southern part, particularly the boxers, eat boiled corn for energy. They actually cook the grated corn like how we cook rice. Those athletes claim that corn gives them more energy than rice. I guess corn is considered carbohydrates like rice.

I am not a dietitian and not pretending to be one when I created the thread about beef as energy food. Again, I am basing this post on what I read about athletes in the Philippines. Mostly those from the southern part, particularly the boxers, eat boiled corn for energy. They actually cook the grated corn like how we cook rice. Those athletes claim that corn gives them more energy than rice. I guess corn is considered carbohydrates like rice.
Corn is a staple in many countries. It's much more filling then rice and I think it releases it's energy slower then rice does because it takes longer to digest. I can see how the boxers might feel that it gives energy for longer.

Reactions: Corzhens
Oatmeal is my go to carb. Considered a good carb, quick and easy to make, filling, satisfying, and you can mix anything in it for almost endless variety.

Yeah there really isn't a point in the GI index. All carbohydrates really are the same. Just try to eat a lot of pasta. That really works more than any other carb I have seen.
I agree with you. They are really the same but pasta provides lot of carbs.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. You have a clear and serious misunderstanding of carbohydrates and how they are processed by the body if you think all sources are the same.
So what's the reailty? What misunderstanding am I having?