What the h+++ is float?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Vwalton, Mar 6, 2003.

  1. Vwalton

    Vwalton Guest

    I'm a very new newbie to riding and I'm buying my first set of pedals / shoes. I'm reading a lot
    about "float" but can't find any posts or FAQs that tell me what it refers to. I'd appreciate some
    insight; also, would a very low-milage recreational rider want float or not want float?

    Tags:

  2. Sparhawk

    Sparhawk Guest

    On 6 Mar 2003 21:31:26 -0800, [email protected] (vwalton) wrote:

    >I'm a very new newbie to riding and I'm buying my first set of pedals / shoes. I'm reading a lot
    >about "float" but can't find any posts or FAQs that tell me what it refers to. I'd appreciate some
    >insight; also, would a very low-milage recreational rider want float or not want float?

    No, and you probably don't need pedals either.

    Sparhawk

  3. Cycling Joe

    Cycling Joe Guest

    --------------050906080104020604010505 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

    Such an informative answer you gave sparhawk.

    When choosing a clipless pedal system you'll want to consider float, and the type of float:
    recentering or non-recentering. "During the pedal stroke, feet follow their natural path,
    eliminating knee strain. Float improves pedaling efficiency by coaching you to a smoother pedal
    stroke. Some pedal systems use recentering float in which a spring centering action forces your feet
    into an unnatural riding position. Non-recentering, or "free float" allows your feet to find the
    most comfortable station."

    Sparhawk wrote:

    >On 6 Mar 2003 21:31:26 -0800, [email protected] (vwalton) wrote:
    >

    >>I'm a very new newbie to riding and I'm buying my first set of pedals / shoes. I'm reading a lot
    >>about "float" but can't find any posts or FAQs that tell me what it refers to. I'd appreciate some
    >>insight; also, would a very low-milage recreational rider want float or not want float?
    >>

    >No, and you probably don't need pedals either.
    >
    >Sparhawk

    --------------050906080104020604010505 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
    Such an informative answer you gave sparhawk.<br> <br> When choosing a clipless pedal system you'll
    want to consider float, and the type of float: recentering or non-recentering. "During the pedal
    stroke, feet follow their natural path, eliminating knee strain. Float improves pedaling efficiency
    by coaching you to a smoother pedal stroke. Some pedal systems use recentering float in which a
    spring centering action forces your feet into an unnatural riding position. Non-recentering, or
    wrote:<br> <blockquote type="cite" cite="[email protected]"> <pre
    wrap="">On 6 Mar 2003 21:31:26 -0800, <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
    href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a> (vwalton) wrote:

    first set of pedals / shoes. I'm reading a lot about "float" but can't find any posts or FAQs that
    tell me what it refers to. I'd appreciate some insight; also, would a very low-milage recreational
    don't need pedals either.

    --------------050906080104020604010505--

  4. Rathay

    Rathay Guest

    ------=_NextPart_000_0036_01C2E488.36286F60 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

    There are some that believe that fixed pedals (in the correct posn of = course) help prevent knee

    Sparhawk wrote:

    On 6 Mar 2003 21:31:26 -0800, [email protected] (vwalton) wrote:

    =20
    I'm a very new newbie to riding and I'm buying my first set of pedals / shoes. I'm reading a lot
    about "float" but can't find any posts or FAQs that tell me what it refers to. I'd appreciate some
    insight; also, would a very low-milage recreational rider want float or not want float?
    =20

    No, and you probably don't need pedals either.

    Sparhawk
    =20

    ------=_NextPart_000_0036_01C2E488.36286F60 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE> <META
    content=3Dtext/html;charset=3DISO-8859-1 = http-equiv=3DContent-Type> <META content=3D"MSHTML
    5.00.2314.1000" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>There are some that believe that fixed = pedals (in=20 the
    correct posn of course) help prevent knee injuries</FONT></DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE=20
    style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: = px; PADDING-LEFT:
    5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DV>Cycling Joe <<A=20 href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>> wrote =
    in message=20 <A=20
    =
    href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:[email protected]<= /A>...</DIV>Such=20 an
    informative answer you gave sparhawk.<BR><BR>When choosing a = clipless pedal=20 system you'll want
    to consider float, and the type of float: = recentering or=20 non-recentering. "During the pedal
    stroke, feet follow their natural = path,=20 eliminating knee strain. Float improves pedaling
    efficiency by = coaching you to=20 a smoother pedal stroke. Some pedal systems use recentering float
    in = which a=20 spring centering action forces your feet into an unnatural riding = position.=20
    Non-recentering, or "free float" allows your feet to find the most = comfortable=20
    station."<BR><BR><BR><BR>Sparhawk wrote:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE
    cite=3D"[email protected]" = type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">On 6 Mar 2003
    21:31:26 -0800, <A = class=3Dmoz-txt-link-abbreviated =
    href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A> (vwalton) = wrote:

    </PRE> <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">I'm a very new newbie to = riding and I'm buying
    my first set of pedals / shoes. I'm reading a lot about "float" but can't find any posts or FAQs
    that tell me what it refers to. I'd appreciate some insight; also, would a very low-milage
    recreational rider want float or not want float? </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=3D""><!----> No, and
    you probably don't need pedals either.

    Sparhawk </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

  5. On 6 Mar 2003 21:31:26 -0800, vwalton wrote:
    >Subject: What the h+++ is float?

    This is the internet, you can say "heck".

    >also, would a very low-milage recreational rider want to ask about his very low-milage recreational
    >problems on rbr?

    No.

  6. Jay Hill

    Jay Hill Guest

    vwalton wrote:
    > I'm a very new newbie to riding and I'm buying my first set of pedals / shoes. I'm reading a lot
    > about "float" but can't find any posts or FAQs that tell me what it refers to. I'd appreciate some
    > insight; also, would a very low-milage recreational rider want float or not want float?

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_e-f.html#float

  7. Vwalton

    Vwalton Guest

    Jay Hill <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > vwalton wrote:
    > > I'm a very new newbie to riding and I'm buying my first set of pedals / shoes. I'm reading a lot
    > > about "float" but can't find any posts or FAQs that tell me what it refers to. I'd appreciate
    > > some insight; also, would a very low-milage recreational rider want float or not want float?
    >
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_e-f.html#float

    Finally, an answer. "A property of a clipless pedal system that allows the rider to rotate the foot
    within limits, as opposed to a fixed cleat which holds the shoe at a fixed angle in the yaw plane"

    Thank you Jay.

    And for Ewoud, or whatever the "heck" your name is, the MOMENT I think I have achieved sufficient
    mastery of this sport to post a friendly question in this elite company, I will be sure to ask
    permission first. Pardon my presumption.

    Sheesh.

  8. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "vwalton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Jay Hill <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > vwalton wrote:
    > > > I'm a very new newbie to riding and I'm buying my first set of pedals / shoes. I'm reading a
    > > > lot about "float" but can't find any posts or FAQs that tell me what it refers to. I'd
    > > > appreciate some insight; also, would a very low-milage recreational rider want float or not
    > > > want float?
    > >
    > > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_e-f.html#float
    >
    > Finally, an answer. "A property of a clipless pedal system that allows the rider to rotate the
    > foot within limits, as opposed to a fixed cleat which holds the shoe at a fixed angle in the
    > yaw plane"
    >
    > Thank you Jay.
    >
    > And for Ewoud, or whatever the "heck" your name is, the MOMENT I think I have achieved sufficient
    > mastery of this sport to post a friendly question in this elite company, I will be sure to ask
    > permission first. Pardon my presumption.
    >
    > Sheesh.

    Welcome to rbr!

    Mike

  9. "vwalton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > And for Ewoud, or whatever the "heck" your name is,

    Ewoud is from The Netherlands, one of the cradles of bike racing.

    >the MOMENT I think I have achieved sufficient mastery of this sport to post a friendly question in
    >this elite company, I will be sure to ask permission first.

    That would be a good idea.

    have a nice day,

    Kurgan Gringioni

  10. Ken McKisson

    Ken McKisson Guest

    lesson number one for RBR... grow a skin.