What the h+++ is float?

Vwalton

Guest
I'm a very new newbie to riding and I'm buying my first set of pedals / shoes. I'm reading a lot
about "float" but can't find any posts or FAQs that tell me what it refers to. I'd appreciate some
insight; also, would a very low-milage recreational rider want float or not want float?

On 6 Mar 2003 21:31:26 -0800, [email protected] (vwalton) wrote:

>I'm a very new newbie to riding and I'm buying my first set of pedals / shoes. I'm reading a lot
>about "float" but can't find any posts or FAQs that tell me what it refers to. I'd appreciate some
>insight; also, would a very low-milage recreational rider want float or not want float?

No, and you probably don't need pedals either.

Sparhawk

--------------050906080104020604010505 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

Such an informative answer you gave sparhawk.

When choosing a clipless pedal system you'll want to consider float, and the type of float:
recentering or non-recentering. "During the pedal stroke, feet follow their natural path,
eliminating knee strain. Float improves pedaling efficiency by coaching you to a smoother pedal
stroke. Some pedal systems use recentering float in which a spring centering action forces your feet
into an unnatural riding position. Non-recentering, or "free float" allows your feet to find the
most comfortable station."

Sparhawk wrote:

>On 6 Mar 2003 21:31:26 -0800, [email protected] (vwalton) wrote:
>

>>I'm a very new newbie to riding and I'm buying my first set of pedals / shoes. I'm reading a lot
>>about "float" but can't find any posts or FAQs that tell me what it refers to. I'd appreciate some
>>insight; also, would a very low-milage recreational rider want float or not want float?
>>

>No, and you probably don't need pedals either.
>
>Sparhawk

--------------050906080104020604010505 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
Such an informative answer you gave sparhawk.<br> <br> When choosing a clipless pedal system you'll
want to consider float, and the type of float: recentering or non-recentering. "During the pedal
stroke, feet follow their natural path, eliminating knee strain. Float improves pedaling efficiency
by coaching you to a smoother pedal stroke. Some pedal systems use recentering float in which a
spring centering action forces your feet into an unnatural riding position. Non-recentering, or
wrote:<br> <blockquote type="cite" cite="[email protected]"> <pre
wrap="">On 6 Mar 2003 21:31:26 -0800, <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a> (vwalton) wrote:

first set of pedals / shoes. I'm reading a lot about "float" but can't find any posts or FAQs that
tell me what it refers to. I'd appreciate some insight; also, would a very low-milage recreational
don't need pedals either.

--------------050906080104020604010505--

------=_NextPart_000_0036_01C2E488.36286F60 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

There are some that believe that fixed pedals (in the correct posn of = course) help prevent knee

Sparhawk wrote:

On 6 Mar 2003 21:31:26 -0800, [email protected] (vwalton) wrote:

=20
I'm a very new newbie to riding and I'm buying my first set of pedals / shoes. I'm reading a lot
about "float" but can't find any posts or FAQs that tell me what it refers to. I'd appreciate some
insight; also, would a very low-milage recreational rider want float or not want float?
=20

No, and you probably don't need pedals either.

Sparhawk
=20

------=_NextPart_000_0036_01C2E488.36286F60 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE> <META
content=3Dtext/html;charset=3DISO-8859-1 = http-equiv=3DContent-Type> <META content=3D"MSHTML
5.00.2314.1000" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>There are some that believe that fixed = pedals (in=20 the
correct posn of course) help prevent knee injuries</FONT></DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: = px; PADDING-LEFT:
5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px">
<DV>Cycling Joe <<A=20 href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>> wrote =
in message=20 <A=20
=
href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:[email protected]<= /A>...</DIV>Such=20 an
informative answer you gave sparhawk.<BR><BR>When choosing a = clipless pedal=20 system you'll want
to consider float, and the type of float: = recentering or=20 non-recentering. "During the pedal
stroke, feet follow their natural = path,=20 eliminating knee strain. Float improves pedaling
efficiency by = coaching you to=20 a smoother pedal stroke. Some pedal systems use recentering float
in = which a=20 spring centering action forces your feet into an unnatural riding = position.=20
Non-recentering, or "free float" allows your feet to find the most = comfortable=20
station."<BR><BR><BR><BR>Sparhawk wrote:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE
cite=3D"[email protected]" = type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">On 6 Mar 2003
21:31:26 -0800, <A = class=3Dmoz-txt-link-abbreviated =
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A> (vwalton) = wrote:

</PRE> <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">I'm a very new newbie to = riding and I'm buying
my first set of pedals / shoes. I'm reading a lot about "float" but can't find any posts or FAQs
that tell me what it refers to. I'd appreciate some insight; also, would a very low-milage
recreational rider want float or not want float? </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=3D""><!----> No, and
you probably don't need pedals either.

Sparhawk </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

On 6 Mar 2003 21:31:26 -0800, vwalton wrote:
>Subject: What the h+++ is float?

This is the internet, you can say "heck".

>also, would a very low-milage recreational rider want to ask about his very low-milage recreational
>problems on rbr?

No.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_e-f.html#float

Jay Hill <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> vwalton wrote:
> > I'm a very new newbie to riding and I'm buying my first set of pedals / shoes. I'm reading a lot
> > about "float" but can't find any posts or FAQs that tell me what it refers to. I'd appreciate
> > some insight; also, would a very low-milage recreational rider want float or not want float?
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_e-f.html#float

Finally, an answer. "A property of a clipless pedal system that allows the rider to rotate the foot
within limits, as opposed to a fixed cleat which holds the shoe at a fixed angle in the yaw plane"

Thank you Jay.

And for Ewoud, or whatever the "heck" your name is, the MOMENT I think I have achieved sufficient
mastery of this sport to post a friendly question in this elite company, I will be sure to ask
permission first. Pardon my presumption.

Sheesh.

"vwalton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jay Hill <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > vwalton wrote:
> > > I'm a very new newbie to riding and I'm buying my first set of pedals / shoes. I'm reading a
> > > lot about "float" but can't find any posts or FAQs that tell me what it refers to. I'd
> > > appreciate some insight; also, would a very low-milage recreational rider want float or not
> > > want float?
> >
> > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_e-f.html#float
>
> Finally, an answer. "A property of a clipless pedal system that allows the rider to rotate the
> foot within limits, as opposed to a fixed cleat which holds the shoe at a fixed angle in the
> yaw plane"
>
> Thank you Jay.
>
> And for Ewoud, or whatever the "heck" your name is, the MOMENT I think I have achieved sufficient
> mastery of this sport to post a friendly question in this elite company, I will be sure to ask
> permission first. Pardon my presumption.
>
> Sheesh.

Welcome to rbr!

Mike

"vwalton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> And for Ewoud, or whatever the "heck" your name is,

Ewoud is from The Netherlands, one of the cradles of bike racing.

>the MOMENT I think I have achieved sufficient mastery of this sport to post a friendly question in
>this elite company, I will be sure to ask permission first.

That would be a good idea.

have a nice day,

Kurgan Gringioni

lesson number one for RBR... grow a skin.