What the heck is my body telling me?

TrekDedicated

Jun 17, 2004
Hey everyone,

I've been riding/training for a good amount of time now. Today, I just passed 1000 miles on the year, but a few things are bothering me.

First of all, whenever I go up stairs, I feel like my chest is getting tighter and my heart rate goes up really quickly. If I'm talking, my voice sounds a little bit like it is working hard. I would think after all my riding/climbing, my body would be used to handling stairs. Also, sometimes, at the beginning of my rides, my chest tightens up too. I mean, obviously, going up stairs your body has to work, but this seems to be over the top.

Secondly, I'm in great shape and I eat pretty well. But it seems like I sweat too easily sometimes. Example, tonight I was at a party in a basement, garage door was open, but it was hot, due to the amount of people. Yes, other people were hot and somewhat sweaty, but my forehead was really sweaty, to the point that if I brushed my thumb across it, it was soaked. One of my cycling buddies who was there, asked me jokingly if I was still on the ride we had earlier today, and then proceeded to ask me if I wanted a towel. Funny, yes. But, I'm actually concerned. I'm in great shape, I look great, etc etc, but this is actually pissing me off.

Fellas, I don't know what the deal is. I'm taking great care of myself, but it seems my body isn't getting 'the message'.

Thanks for any input!

TrekD

TrekDedicated said:
Hey everyone,

I've been riding/training for a good amount of time now. Today, I just passed 1000 miles on the year, but a few things are bothering me.

First of all, whenever I go up stairs, I feel like my chest is getting tighter and my heart rate goes up really quickly. If I'm talking, my voice sounds a little bit like it is working hard. I would think after all my riding/climbing, my body would be used to handling stairs. Also, sometimes, at the beginning of my rides, my chest tightens up too. I mean, obviously, going up stairs your body has to work, but this seems to be over the top.

Secondly, I'm in great shape and I eat pretty well. But it seems like I sweat too easily sometimes. Example, tonight I was at a party in a basement, garage door was open, but it was hot, due to the amount of people. Yes, other people were hot and somewhat sweaty, but my forehead was really sweaty, to the point that if I brushed my thumb across it, it was soaked. One of my cycling buddies who was there, asked me jokingly if I was still on the ride we had earlier today, and then proceeded to ask me if I wanted a towel. Funny, yes. But, I'm actually concerned. I'm in great shape, I look great, etc etc, but this is actually pissing me off.

Fellas, I don't know what the deal is. I'm taking great care of myself, but it seems my body isn't getting 'the message'.

Thanks for any input!

TrekD
Tightness in the chest, faster heart rate, and sweating are all classic signs of heart disease. Suggest you go see your doctor before another hard bike ride. It may be nothing serious, but certainly worth some medical attention.

You ARE getting the message.
Your body is telling you it is addicted to riding.
You definately need to ride more. You're a classic natural.

The same thing happens to me if I am in an unfamiliar situation/surroundings or most certainly at a party around cycling buddies.

Ride More, it's your ONLY option !

TrekDedicated said:
Hey everyone,

Not to upset you or anything, but 1000 miles by late June isn't considered "training for a good amount of time" for most cyclists. There are many guys on this forum that do 8,000 - 10,000 miles annually. I'm a very recreational non-racing cyclist and have put on 1,300+ miles this year and I've had mucho time off over the Winter due to respiratory problems, otherwise I'd be at around 1,800 - 2,000 by now.

Could be serveral things such as pollution/air quality, excessive humidity, allergies. I get very wheezy in the Winter months when the humidity is low and it's cold. I also suffer from the usual allergies and hay fever in the Spring & Fall. I'm asthmatic too.

I tend to sweat considerably less when I've been training in the Summer and have become acclimated to the heat as do most people who've been out riding in it. Something isn't quite right with the excessive sweating routine.

I think that DHK has already pointed out that it may be time for a checkup. At 21 years of age I doubt that it's heart disease but still that's not something to poo-poo. If it is though, you're screwing yourself worse by continuing riding without knowing. Go get a checkup!

Doctor Morbius said:
Not to upset you or anything, but 1000 miles by late June isn't considered "training for a good amount of time" for most cyclists. There are many guys on this forum that do 8,000 - 10,000 miles annually. I'm a very recreational non-racing cyclist and have put on 1,300+ miles this year and I've had mucho time off over the Winter due to respiratory problems, otherwise I'd be at around 1,800 - 2,000 by now.

i knock out about 20,000 km a year and have done most years since 1990 (my pre 1990 annual distances were however less than this). This gives you an idea of my 'fitness'.
Could be serveral things such as pollution/air quality, excessive humidity, allergies. I get very wheezy in the Winter months when the humidity is low and it's cold. I also suffer from the usual allergies and hay fever in the Spring & Fall. I'm asthmatic too.

the issues for the original poster could be many/varied, and as always if someone is concerned about their health they should always see a doctor, who will be able to globally assess the situation, rather than us guys not having all the facts available (nothing against the responses that have been provided, it's just better if the poster sees a doc).

I tend to sweat considerably less when I've been training in the Summer and have become acclimated to the heat as do most people who've been out riding in it. Something isn't quite right with the excessive sweating routine.

paradoxically, with increased fitness (which often happens during the summer months as people exercise more) sweating occurs earlier and at a lower core temperature. Sweat is a cooling mechanism (as it evaporates off the skin), rather than an overheating mechanism.

I think that DHK has already pointed out that it may be time for a checkup. At 21 years of age I doubt that it's heart disease but still that's not something to poo-poo. If it is though, you're screwing yourself worse by continuing riding without knowing. Go get a checkup!

i'd still suggest the original poster sees a doctor as they are genuinely concerned. however, as a point of (possible) interest if i run up the stairs i am definitely out of breath (although no wheezing or tight chest) whether i'm super fit or not, and i sweat profusely in the heat (when exercising) - although that may be due to a lack of acclimation as we only get a few hot days here a year!!!!

ric

Hey,

I thought I would just let people know what my deal was.

Since I have gotten in such good shape, despite only the 1100 miles, compared to 'other cyclists' on this board, I was increasing my food intake, but I learned it wasn't enough. *As a result, my body was eating my muscle and my blood sugar was low. So, I've been needing to increase my protein intake and what not.*

The doctor gave me a ECG test and then a haltar (believe that is what it was called) and I wore it for a day. My heart rate was fine and very healthy. The nurse even commented on how low my resting heart rate was.

So, thanks for the advice fellas!

TrekDedicated said:
Hey,

Since I have gotten in such good shape, despite only the 1100 miles, compared to 'other cyclists' on this board, I was increasing my food intake, but I learned it wasn't enough. *As a result, my body was eating my muscle and my blood sugar was low. So, I've been needing to increase my protein intake and what not.*

The doctor gave me a ECG test and then a haltar (believe that is what it was called) and I wore it for a day. My heart rate was fine and very healthy. The nurse even commented on how low my resting heart rate was.

Man, glad you had your heart checked out and found everything OK. And good you found out low blood sugar was the cause of your problems. Didn't mean to sound like an alarmist above, but your description gave some pretty serious symptoms.

From what you said about consuming muscle, sounds like your bodyfat is already way down so that you can't burn any more fat stores for energy. Agree you'll need an adequate amount of protein to train hard (maybe 0.5 grams/lb bodyweight). But believe the more important issue is to get enough carb grams each day to make up total calories so that you're not losing more weight.

Timing of your carb intake, as well as the glycemic index of the carbs you eat, may also be important. Have read that the best way to speed recovery is to eat a high-carb meal, maybe with some protein, during the first 30 minutes-1 hour after exercise. This time is called the "glycogen window", when the body is working hard to replace the glycogen stores burned during exercise.

TrekDedicated said:
Hey,

Glad you went to a doctor and got things straightened out as opposed to relying on us faceless forum posters that may or may not know what we're talking about. Now you're armed and ready to do battle on the bike again while improving your health!

Couldn't help ribbing you a little about the 1100 miles though! ;)