What the hell have I done wrong?

Richard Tack

Jan 13, 2004
Installed new Deore rear derailleur.
If this is true: "Shifting to larger sprockets is accomplished by tightening the cable..." How come my rear shifter is tightening the cable, causing my derailleur to go to a larger sprocket?

Old C201 derailleur moves towards the outsif\de (smaller sprockets) with cable tension from the shifter (indicator says its shifting higher).

New Deore derailleur shifts the chain to the inside (larger sprocket) with cable tension, the opposite.

What the ....? They have bass ackward derailleurs that require a bass ackwards shifter?

Originally posted by Richard Tack
Installed new Deore rear derailleur.
If this is true: "Shifting to larger sprockets is accomplished by tightening the cable..." How come my rear shifter is tightening the cable, causing my derailleur to go to a larger sprocket?
??? Maybe that is how shifters work? www.parktool.com has the complete drill on RD and how to.

Thanks for the link, I thought I was going nuts. How ridiculous to have an "English Drive" derailleur from the same manufacturer.

"NOTE: "Rapid Rise" or "Low-Normal" derailleurs use a reverse spring application. When the inner wire tension is completely relaxed, the derailleur sits on the inner most sprocket, which is reversed from other common derailleurs."

The tech that sold me the part should have known better. Back to the LBS.