what the hell is dynsys exactly?

Strelok

Apr 12, 2011
i'm wanting to use some 9 speed bar ends with xt deraillers.

so, will dynasys cranks work with such shifters?

will the dynasys rear derailler work with the bar end shifters?

i would think that the friction front shifter would work with the dynasys front derailler, but will it?

Originally Posted by Strelok .

i'm wanting to use some 9 speed bar ends with xt deraillers.
Then you need to use an older nine speed XT derailleur (NOT a dynasys)

so, will dynasys cranks work with such shifters?
Not sure but you can be sure that 9 speed will work.

will the dynasys rear derailler work with the bar end shifters?
No it will not. The cable pull between 9 and 10s (Dynasys) XT is different. So you cannot use the Dynasys rear derailleur with any nine speed indexing. The cable pull is also different between the 10s MTB and the 10s road gear. So you cannot use Dynasys rear derailleur with road shifters (like bar ends).

i would think that the friction front shifter would work with the dynasys front derailler, but will it?
Probably but I don't know anyone who's tried.

From the above you can probably gather that Dynasys is just a branding term to refer to shimano's 10s MTB stuff.

From what you've said, I gather you want to build a 9 speed touring set-up. If that's the case you don't need Dynasys (10s). The issue just brings up all the questions above, for many of which there are no definite answers. So you could avoid all of these unsolved questions by staying the hell away from it and sticking to the older 9 speed stuff.

It's best to go directly to the source to find out about Dynasys: http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/dynasys.html