what the hell is it about this sport...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ronaldo Jeremia, Feb 5, 2003.

  1. that so many rider think they are a 'pro?'

    from cyclingnews.com:

    "Bikesource/Whole Foods Cycling Team

    The Bikesource/Whole Foods Cycling Team (HRRC) will begin its second season of top level racing in
    the Midwest.

    <snip> roster:

    Doug Plumer (Cat 2/Semi Pro) Shadd Smith (Cat 2/Semi Pro)"

    Cat 2/semi pro?!

    These guys need a semi clue.

    -RJ <---------strictly amateur.

    Tags:

  2. "Ronaldo Jeremiah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > that so many rider think they are a 'pro?'

    > Doug Plumer (Cat 2/Semi Pro) Shadd Smith (Cat 2/Semi Pro)"
    >
    > Cat 2/semi pro?!
    >
    > These guys need a semi clue.
    >
    > -RJ <---------strictly amateur.

    I'm guessing that is their mountain bike cat (between expert and pro)...but I have to agree that
    Semi Pro is a stupid sounding moniker

    Steve

  3. easyrider

    easyrider New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2002
    Must mean that they get "semi-paid" by somebody.

    So, if you win a hundred bucks in the local road race, are you a "pro"? If you are no longer an "amateur", in the strictest sense, are you now a pro???

    Or are they pro's at driving semi's?

  4. > Doug Plumer (Cat 2/Semi Pro) Shadd Smith (Cat 2/Semi Pro)"

    > Cat 2/semi pro?!

    These guys should be on Kissena.

  5. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, easyrider <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Must mean that they get "semi-paid" by somebody.
    >
    > So, if you win a hundred bucks in the local road race, are you a "pro"? If you are no longer an
    > "amateur", in the strictest sense, are you now a pro???
    >
    > Or are they pro's at driving semi's?

    Then is Jason Waddell a "semi-pro"?

  6. they are semi-pro Mtn bikers

  7. Sparhawk

    Sparhawk Guest

    On 06 Feb 2003 04:29:54 GMT, [email protected] (Jason Waddell) wrote:

    >they are semi-pro Mtn bikers

    A "pro" is someone whose primary job is to earn a living by cycling.

    A "semi-pro" is someone whose livelihood is not dependant on cycling but makes some money cycling.

    If it pisses you off that someone may be called "semi-pro", tough shit, deal with it! <g>

    Sparhawk

  8. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On 2/5/03 5:55 PM, in article [email protected], "Ronaldo Jeremiah"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > that so many rider think they are a 'pro?'
    >
    > from cyclingnews.com:
    >
    > "Bikesource/Whole Foods Cycling Team
    >
    > The Bikesource/Whole Foods Cycling Team (HRRC) will begin its second season of top level racing in
    > the Midwest.
    >
    > <snip> roster:
    >
    > Doug Plumer (Cat 2/Semi Pro) Shadd Smith (Cat 2/Semi Pro)"
    >
    > Cat 2/semi pro?!
    >
    > These guys need a semi clue.
    >
    > -RJ <---------strictly amateur.

    Whats the problem??

    Jason "Bacon" Waddell is a "Semi"(driver)

    Steve Cat 7/Semi-Master

  9. Hammer Pilot

    Hammer Pilot Guest

    Even man "Pro" riders think that term is kind rediculous. Check out Mike Jones's article "Ahh, the
    life of a pro"...good stuff:

    http://spokepost.com/diary/jones/?articleID=4

    - Pilot

    steve <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BA6730DE.24388%[email protected]>...
    > On 2/5/03 5:55 PM, in article [email protected], "Ronaldo Jeremiah"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > that so many rider think they are a 'pro?'
    > >
    > > from cyclingnews.com:
    > >
    > > "Bikesource/Whole Foods Cycling Team
    > >
    > > The Bikesource/Whole Foods Cycling Team (HRRC) will begin its second season of top level racing
    > > in the Midwest.
    > >
    > > <snip> roster:
    > >
    > > Doug Plumer (Cat 2/Semi Pro) Shadd Smith (Cat 2/Semi Pro)"
    > >
    > > Cat 2/semi pro?!
    > >
    > > These guys need a semi clue.
    > >
    > > -RJ <---------strictly amateur.
    >
    > Whats the problem??
    >
    > Jason "Bacon" Waddell is a "Semi"(driver)
    >
    > Steve Cat 7/Semi-Master

  10. Jx

    Jx Guest

    easyrider <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Must mean that they get "semi-paid" by somebody.
    >
    > So, if you win a hundred bucks in the local road race, are you a "pro"? If you are no longer an
    > "amateur", in the strictest sense, are you now a pro???

    I have found that is often the perspective of those outside of the sport, when they learn that there
    is cash prizes, equipment subsidies, race reimbursements, etc in bike racing. Amateur league players
    where I live pay to play each season, pay for their own equipment with no expectation of anything in
    return or prize money. Of course, they don't realize the total cost and most riders never make a
    profit; if you go by the cost (equipment, time, gas, entry fees, syringes, marital
    counseling)...we're amateurs and we're operating at a loss (but money well-spent).

  11. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Sparhawk wrote:

    > On 06 Feb 2003 04:29:54 GMT, [email protected] (Jason Waddell) wrote:
    >
    > >they are semi-pro Mtn bikers
    >
    > A "pro" is someone whose primary job is to earn a living by cycling.
    >
    > A "semi-pro" is someone whose livelihood is not dependant on cycling but makes some money cycling.

    Does that make anyone who has won a prime or some prize money a semi-pro? I gotta update my resume.

    ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [email protected] Kyle Legate [email protected]

    Tower of Tongues:Thursday PM:10:30-11:30 EDT:http://cfmu.mcmaster.ca moon
    musick:ritual:IDM:experimental(electronica):minimalism:glitch
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...

  12. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "Jx" <[email protected]@posting.google.com...
    > easyrider <usenet-.chariot.net.au>...
    > > Must mean that they get "semi-paid" by somebody.
    > >
    > > So, if you win a hundred bucks in the local road race, are you a "pro"? If you are no longer an
    > > "amateur", in the strictest sense, are you now a pro???
    >
    > I have found that is often the perspective of those outside of the sport, when they learn that
    > there is cash prizes, equipment subsidies, race reimbursements, etc in bike racing. Amateur league
    > players where I live pay to play each season, pay for their own equipment with no expectation of
    > anything in return or prize money. Of course, they don't realize the total cost and most riders
    > never make a profit; if you go by the cost (equipment, time, gas, entry fees, syringes, marital
    > counseling)...we're amateurs and we're operating at a loss

    Just like most professionally-run businesses these days...deficit spending (though we have
    millions/billions in the bank!)

  13. Ken Papai wrote:

    > Just like most professionally-run businesses these days...deficit spending ...

    Or just like our federal government. That "professional" characterization bit was pretty funny --
    I'm starting to understand your humor. I'm going to take a few days out to re-read Animal Farm.

    > ...(though we have millions/billions in the bank!)

    Right. Checks in the mail.

  14. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Sparhawk wrote: Does that make anyone who has won a prime or some prize money
    > a semi-pro? I gotta update my resume.

    no you dont. nothing will change?