what the hell is it about this sport...

Ronaldo Jeremia

Guest
that so many rider think they are a 'pro?'

from cyclingnews.com:

"Bikesource/Whole Foods Cycling Team

The Bikesource/Whole Foods Cycling Team (HRRC) will begin its second season of top level racing in
the Midwest.

<snip> roster:

Doug Plumer (Cat 2/Semi Pro) Shadd Smith (Cat 2/Semi Pro)"

Cat 2/semi pro?!

These guys need a semi clue.

-RJ <---------strictly amateur.

"Ronaldo Jeremiah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> that so many rider think they are a 'pro?'

> Doug Plumer (Cat 2/Semi Pro) Shadd Smith (Cat 2/Semi Pro)"
>
> Cat 2/semi pro?!
>
> These guys need a semi clue.
>
> -RJ <---------strictly amateur.

I'm guessing that is their mountain bike cat (between expert and pro)...but I have to agree that
Semi Pro is a stupid sounding moniker

Steve

Must mean that they get "semi-paid" by somebody.

So, if you win a hundred bucks in the local road race, are you a "pro"? If you are no longer an "amateur", in the strictest sense, are you now a pro???

Or are they pro's at driving semi's?

> Doug Plumer (Cat 2/Semi Pro) Shadd Smith (Cat 2/Semi Pro)"
>
> Cat 2/semi pro?!

These guys should be on Kissena.

In article <[email protected]>, easyrider <[email protected]> wrote:

> Must mean that they get "semi-paid" by somebody.
>
> So, if you win a hundred bucks in the local road race, are you a "pro"? If you are no longer an
> "amateur", in the strictest sense, are you now a pro???
>
> Or are they pro's at driving semi's?

Then is Jason Waddell a "semi-pro"?

On 06 Feb 2003 04:29:54 GMT, [email protected] (Jason Waddell) wrote:

>they are semi-pro Mtn bikers

A "pro" is someone whose primary job is to earn a living by cycling.

A "semi-pro" is someone whose livelihood is not dependant on cycling but makes some money cycling.

If it pisses you off that someone may be called "semi-pro", tough ****, deal with it! <g>

Sparhawk

On 2/5/03 5:55 PM, in article [email protected], "Ronaldo Jeremiah"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> that so many rider think they are a 'pro?'
>
> from cyclingnews.com:
>
> "Bikesource/Whole Foods Cycling Team
>
> The Bikesource/Whole Foods Cycling Team (HRRC) will begin its second season of top level racing in
> the Midwest.
>
> <snip> roster:
>
> Doug Plumer (Cat 2/Semi Pro) Shadd Smith (Cat 2/Semi Pro)"
>
> Cat 2/semi pro?!
>
> These guys need a semi clue.
>
> -RJ <---------strictly amateur.

Whats the problem??

Jason "Bacon" Waddell is a "Semi"(driver)

Steve Cat 7/Semi-Master

Even man "Pro" riders think that term is kind rediculous. Check out Mike Jones's article "Ahh, the
life of a pro"...good stuff:

http://spokepost.com/diary/jones/?articleID=4

- Pilot

easyrider <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Must mean that they get "semi-paid" by somebody.
>
> So, if you win a hundred bucks in the local road race, are you a "pro"? If you are no longer an
> "amateur", in the strictest sense, are you now a pro???

I have found that is often the perspective of those outside of the sport, when they learn that there
is cash prizes, equipment subsidies, race reimbursements, etc in bike racing. Amateur league players
where I live pay to play each season, pay for their own equipment with no expectation of anything in
return or prize money. Of course, they don't realize the total cost and most riders never make a
profit; if you go by the cost (equipment, time, gas, entry fees, syringes, marital
counseling)...we're amateurs and we're operating at a loss (but money well-spent).

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Sparhawk wrote:

> On 06 Feb 2003 04:29:54 GMT, [email protected] (Jason Waddell) wrote:
>
> >they are semi-pro Mtn bikers
>
> A "pro" is someone whose primary job is to earn a living by cycling.
>
> A "semi-pro" is someone whose livelihood is not dependant on cycling but makes some money cycling.

Does that make anyone who has won a prime or some prize money a semi-pro? I gotta update my resume.

... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [email protected] Kyle Legate [email protected]

Tower of Tongues:Thursday PM:10:30-11:30 EDT:http://cfmu.mcmaster.ca moon
musick:ritual:IDM:experimental(electronica):minimalism:glitch
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...

"Jx" <CumminsJP@@posting.google.com...
> easyrider <usenet-.chariot.net.au>...
> > Must mean that they get "semi-paid" by somebody.
> >
> > So, if you win a hundred bucks in the local road race, are you a "pro"? If you are no longer an
> > "amateur", in the strictest sense, are you now a pro???
>
> I have found that is often the perspective of those outside of the sport, when they learn that
> there is cash prizes, equipment subsidies, race reimbursements, etc in bike racing. Amateur league
> players where I live pay to play each season, pay for their own equipment with no expectation of
> anything in return or prize money. Of course, they don't realize the total cost and most riders
> never make a profit; if you go by the cost (equipment, time, gas, entry fees, syringes, marital
> counseling)...we're amateurs and we're operating at a loss

Just like most professionally-run businesses these days...deficit spending (though we have
millions/billions in the bank!)

Ken Papai wrote:

> Just like most professionally-run businesses these days...deficit spending ...

Or just like our federal government. That "professional" characterization bit was pretty funny --
I'm starting to understand your humor. I'm going to take a few days out to re-read Animal Farm.

> ...(though we have millions/billions in the bank!)

Right. Checks in the mail.