What the reviews and adverts don´t tell you .

el Ingles

Oct 3, 2003
If you race this advice isn´t for you .

Now those of you that just ride for fun can explode a few myths with me .

WEIGHT : this doesn´t matter over much , how many of us out there can´t lose 2-3 kg with a little will power in a manner that will not cost an arm and a leg like a new bike ; if you want a new bike fine but don´t pay through the nose because it´s a couple of kg lighter than your present bike - a lower gear and a diet will help far more AND by reducing your weight rather than the bike you´ll lower your c of g more effectivly .

GROUPSET : what ever you may have read you don´t have to buy the top sets , the Shimano Ultegra and 105 and the Campag Centear ( daytona as was ) + the one a step below it all work very well indeed - with Durace and Record your paying more for swank value than need ( they are better but not so much better as to justify the price ) for people like us .

WHEELS: fancy - and expensive - aero wheels Kysrium etc will be of little benefit to us and may even be a disadvantage as they provide greater lateral cross section in cross winds : they can also , though not always , ride rougher and their high cost and more complicated maintainence compared to a good classic 3-cross wheel - we don´t ride fast enough to need them - and when ( not if ) we crash they are a lot cheaper to replace .

FIT KITS : take these with a pinch of salt ; just ´cause the racers ride with their hands down by their ankles does not mean you have to - above all be comfy , if you want the saddle forward or rearward , fine go with it - what works for LA or Indurain may not work for you - just get the saddle hight right for you ( and that´s real personal - but remember a bit too low is safer than a bit too high never adjust more than 5mm at a time ) but if your back hurts then think about raiseing the handlebar and , possibly , bringing it a bit closer to you .
ps do ONE adjust at a time as 2 or 3 simultainiously will just confuse , what worked what didn´t ? Bike size ? inside leg x 0·65 is a good place to start but consult your dealer ( round up not down : ie 53·5 = 54 cm )

SADDLES : very very personal as what works for me may be agony for you but don´t buy cheap it´s a false economy and don´t buy one of these modern " razor blade " types that the pros use - you won´t like it , not one little bit - a strong rider takes more of their weight on their legs than we do so for them it doesn´t matter but for us ....... but remember a soft saddle is usually not as good as a firmer saddle .

TYRES : always use 23 mm tyres not 20 mm , the rolling resistance is virtually the same but a 23 mm will be more comfy at the same pressure and do remember you get what you pay for too cheap is a bad economy but again the top of the range isn´t often value for money , Continental make ace tyres but they charge like a wounded rhino ; though for a bullet proof tyre you can´t do much better than the Ultra Gator Skin - the Specialized Armadillo is said to good but opinion says it´s not as compliant ie it´s a rougher ride .

CARBON : good material but over priced and VERY easy to crack if overtightened ( seat pins , handlebars , stems etc ) so leave alone if your not rich or mechanically minded - helps to own a torque wrench .
Carbon forks yes but stick to steel or ali steerer tubes rather than full carbon - they´re beautiful but you can crack them by over tightening the stem .

Basicaly go with what feels good but don´t get conned into paying through the nose for a name or a quality you don´t need .
Have fun out there . :cool:

I expect there are loads of you out there who will disagree with some or all of the above : it will be good to hear your view of things .
Anybody seen Boudreaux lately ? haven´t seen him much lately , hope he´s well .

I agree completely,

I am a begining racer and have learned to regret a number of purchases for the top of the line lighter than air gizmo that did not make a difference. The best money to spend for increasing performance is the $20 for a good training book. Then put forth the effort to follow the program set by it.

My favorite reply to someone that comes over and shows off an expensive new bike, or wheels is "It's not gonna help."

I wonder why nobody in my club likes me.....

GIFF07 said:
My favorite reply to someone that comes over and shows off an expensive new bike, or wheels is "It's not gonna help."

Well, yeah--I wouldn't like you either. ;)

Basically good points all around from el Inglés, so long as they're taken as suggestions rather than gospel. Each of the points contains hefty doses of generalization, as el Inglés would likely agree.

That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with blinging-out a bike, provided you have a good sense of what you're doing. Part of it's a sheer love of bikes. When one of my riding buddies shows up with a flashy new bike, I drop what I'm holding and head over to admire it. Bikes aren't simply fitness machines or transportation; they're toys and works of art as well.

Shop carefully, be educated, and enjoy yourself all at once. It's worth it.

el Inglés said:
TYRES : always use 23 mm tyres not 20 mm , the rolling resistance is virtually the same but a 23 mm will be more comfy at the same pressure and do remember you get what you pay for too cheap is a bad economy but again the top of the range isn´t often value for money , Continental make ace tyres but they charge like a wounded rhino ; though for a bullet proof tyre you can´t do much better than the Ultra Gator Skin - the Specialized Armadillo is said to good but opinion says it´s not as compliant ie it´s a rougher ride .

All true, but I felt this part needs a little clarification... unless you are riding on a track or perfect pavement the 23 actually has less rolling resistance anyway. I won't get into the whys (it is because your tires act as suspension) but it is well accepted by those in the know. Don't pump them up to the max because it is slower anyway (unless you like the perception of being faster, while having a rougher ride). Also unless you hate fixing flats or ride near a metal recycling facility, I would put ride quality (loosely related to thread count, but is the suppleness of the tire) above being bullet proof because the ride is soooo much better on a good tire than a mediocre one.

lokstah said:
That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with blinging-out a bike, provided you have a good sense of what you're doing. Part of it's a sheer love of bikes. When one of my riding buddies shows up with a flashy new bike, I drop what I'm holding and head over to admire it. Bikes aren't simply fitness machines or transportation; they're toys and works of art as well.

Flashy bikes are jewelry - in order to wear expensive jewelry well, you have to look like you've earned it. Otherwise you'll look like a phoney or a bimbo.

And nobody NEEDS jewelry, a Swatch is practically as good as a Tag-Heuer when it comes to keeping time.

But it's sooo much easier to lust after the 1000g italian hotty than the old'n'heavy frame that goes just as fast. C'mon, where's your drool cup gone?

And who doesn't think getting blown sideways into traffic or another rider during a good gust of wind doesn't add an element of excitement to an average ride? Aero wheels aren't just for the racers!

RC2 said:
And who doesn't think getting blown sideways into traffic or another rider during a good gust of wind doesn't add an element of excitement to an average ride? Aero wheels aren't just for the racers!
It's almost as much fun as getting launched across the road on a fast descent.;)

I got back into road biking at first by putting slicks on my MTB. Had a chance to try out a friend's LeMond - made the MTB feel like a truck. My current ride feels like a Ferrari compared to that LeMond. I don't race, so it doesn't matter how quickly I get there, but my bike feels positively alive on the road, and that delightful feeling of whipping through the turns is worth a lot to me. I blew $200 on a slightly used set of Cinelli RAM bars last fall. My old bars were just fine, but the RAM bars are so beautiful to look at, and are sculpted to fit your hands so perfectly. Ahhh... that's more like it.

Going with a higher grade of bike, or getting better components, may be a waste of money. So is a fine wine - MD 20/20 is a lot cheaper. Forget the big screen high def television - your favorite film is viewable on a 20" lo def CRT. Park the Lotus and get a Corolla. But is that really the sort of life you want to lead? Duh - of course high end bikes are personal jewelry. But what's wrong with that - jewelry is probably the most impractical possession one can own. But you still want it, don't you?

To hell with practicality. I'll keep tinkering with my weird, pimp daddy gold ride until I find something wilder looking, or better handling. I saw a C4 Joker last summer, now there's a wild looking ride...

The heck with all that, buy what you can afford. If you are the next Lance Armstrong and all you can afford is a Sora bike, buy it. If you suck at racing and can afford a $10,000 Opera Leonardo with Record, buy it.

Do what makes you happy.

Last night in a group ride I blew away a guy on a brand new carbon Trek 5500, but got smoked by a dude on a 20 year old steel frame, quill stem Bianchi. It's all about the motor.......

Like JR says, buy what you want. When I see a rookie all decked out, while I might not have spent my money as such, at least they ain't on the couch eating junk food.

boudreaux said:
bourdeaux is well and likes razor blade saddles.

Boudreaux is a big strong lad - lots of us are not so these saddles will not tend to be for us lesser mortals but it´s a very personal thing so ....

Yes these are all generalisations but most are true enough to use as a rough guide until you know enough to make an informed choice - if you can afford the best great , but it´s your legs that get you up the hills not your bike .

A note on wheels. True we don't all need aero t.t. wheels on our bikes. However, those of us who possess girth can benefit from deeper sectioned "semi-aero" rims such as the Mavic cpx-33 or the Fir net97. These rims tend to be stronger and better suited to heavier riders than the lighter rims out there.

Otherwise your post was right on. I'll never race, I'm fat (for a cyclist), slow and (getting)old. I ride mid-range stuff with just enough style to motivate me to get out and ride more. And that's the bottom line- buying something you'll actually ride.

king4wd said:
A note on wheels. True we don't all need aero t.t. wheels on our bikes. However, those of us who possess girth can benefit from deeper sectioned "semi-aero" rims such as the Mavic cpx-33 or the Fir net97. These rims tend to be stronger and better suited to heavier riders than the lighter rims out there.

Otherwise your post was right on. I'll never race, I'm fat (for a cyclist), slow and (getting)old. I ride mid-range stuff with just enough style to motivate me to get out and ride more. And that's the bottom line- buying something you'll actually ride.

The down side of aero rims is that if they do go off true they can be a devil to get round agian - I´ve seen this being done with a hammer before now - so maybe a better choice could be a heavier rim or even a 48 spoke tandem rim for our heavier bretheren .

I get a little tired of the "buy what you can afford" argument. I'm sure many are in my admittedly fortunate position where I could afford any bike, but still want to know what is value versus pure bling and at what point the returns become diminishing. Although I could afford any bike, it's not that it isn't still a significant purchase or that there aren't competing purchases in other areas of my life - anything from plasma tv to new skiis, etc, etc.

In my humble opinion in most things in life you have to spend a certain amount to get into a quality range of equipment, beyond that with every doubling of money spent the returns diminish greatly (though they don't vanish and may be meaningful to some). For a car I'd argue that after the first 40-50G the returns diminish (i.e. 40g car much better than 20g car, minimally inferior to 80g car which in turn is minimally inferior to 160g car etc.)

So if I had to spend 5-10 G to get into a sport with quality equipment I would (in fact I did with a snowmobile a few years ago), but I'm happy once I'm on quality gear that isn't a limiting factor for my enjoyment that I don't feel a need to spend more. For me that came circa 1500 for a Veloce equipped Devinci, for others it may be different but I think there is some value in knowing what is "good enough" independant of ability to afford it. Now if 5-10G was pocket change to me I might feel somewhat different, though maybe I'd be wise enough to still buy something reasonable for my ability and put the mloney to better use.

wilmar13 said:
All true, but I felt this part needs a little clarification... unless you are riding on a track or perfect pavement the 23 actually has less rolling resistance anyway.
Yep. Too narrow a size (20mm vs 23mm) and the tires sidewall has to deform as more of the contact patch extends forward and backward rather than to the sides.

once i was in the middle of a 120 rider district championship crit, boxed in, smelling brake dust and feeling the humidity of the bodies in front of me, leaders pulling at 29 and it involuntarily occurred to me equipment was not going to be the deciding factor on that day.
call it a moment of clarity.
it must not have lasted long enough to prevent me from buying the stuff you are talking about not being liked over...

GIFF07 said:
I agree completely,

I am a begining racer and have learned to regret a number of purchases for the top of the line lighter than air gizmo that did not make a difference. The best money to spend for increasing performance is the $20 for a good training book. Then put forth the effort to follow the program set by it.

el Inglés said:
The down side of aero rims is that if they do go off true they can be a devil to get round agian - I´ve seen this being done with a hammer before now - so maybe a better choice could be a heavier rim or even a 48 spoke tandem rim for our heavier bretheren .
If you dont feel comfortable riding a $8000 dollar bike amonst mortals then you should stick to something cheap. Greatness is not for everyone:D .

Incorrect reply to that statement. Try this: "Wow, that's really neat. So what did you do with the old wheels - want to sell them cheap?"

No reason you shouldn't also benefit from someone else's equipment lust...

GIFF07 said:
I agree completely,