What time of day is best for eating protien?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Jan 31, 2006.

  1. I try to eat protein only one meal a day, so what time would be the
    best? Ive herd several
    different opinions, seems if it helps the body itself than maybe in
    the evening would be best
    but im just starting on this diet so i dont know.

    Tags:

  2. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    :: I try to eat protein only one meal a day,

    why?

    :: so what time would be the
    :: best?

    Why should there be a best time?

    Ive herd several
    :: different opinions, seems if it helps the body itself than maybe in
    :: the evening would be best
    :: but im just starting on this diet so i dont know.

    All you're likely to hear are more opinions. My opinion is that to a
    significant degree, it probaby doesn't matter. It probably matters more if
    you get insufficient amounts of protein.

  3. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I try to eat protein only one meal a day, so what time would be the
    > best? Ive herd several
    > different opinions, seems if it helps the body itself than maybe in
    > the evening would be best
    > but im just starting on this diet so i dont know.

    Breakfast. Period.

  4. "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > :: I try to eat protein only one meal a day,
    >
    > why?
    >
    > :: so what time would be the
    > :: best?
    >
    > Why should there be a best time?

    Maybe he's a reformed bodybuilder and wants to lose muscle?

    > Ive herd several
    > :: different opinions, seems if it helps the body itself than maybe in
    > :: the evening would be best
    > :: but im just starting on this diet so i dont know.
    >
    > All you're likely to hear are more opinions. My opinion is that to a
    > significant degree, it probaby doesn't matter. It probably matters more
    > if you get insufficient amounts of protein.

    Breakfast is the most important time to get protein, if you're concerned
    about sparing muscle. I myself get protein whenever and however I can
    (within reason).

  5. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    ::: [email protected] wrote:
    ::::: I try to eat protein only one meal a day,
    :::
    ::: why?
    :::
    ::::: so what time would be the
    ::::: best?
    :::
    ::: Why should there be a best time?
    ::
    :: Maybe he's a reformed bodybuilder and wants to lose muscle?

    :)

    ::
    ::: Ive herd several
    ::::: different opinions, seems if it helps the body itself than maybe
    ::::: in the evening would be best
    ::::: but im just starting on this diet so i dont know.
    :::
    ::: All you're likely to hear are more opinions. My opinion is that to
    ::: a significant degree, it probaby doesn't matter. It probably
    ::: matters more if you get insufficient amounts of protein.
    ::
    :: Breakfast is the most important time to get protein,

    Why?

    if you're
    :: concerned about sparing muscle. I myself get protein whenever and
    :: however I can (within reason).

    Same here, but I still gotta ask: why breakfast?

  6. "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Joe the Aroma wrote:
    > :: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > :: news:[email protected]
    > ::: [email protected] wrote:
    > ::::: I try to eat protein only one meal a day,
    > :::
    > ::: why?
    > :::
    > ::::: so what time would be the
    > ::::: best?
    > :::
    > ::: Why should there be a best time?
    > ::
    > :: Maybe he's a reformed bodybuilder and wants to lose muscle?
    >
    > :)
    >
    > ::
    > ::: Ive herd several
    > ::::: different opinions, seems if it helps the body itself than maybe
    > ::::: in the evening would be best
    > ::::: but im just starting on this diet so i dont know.
    > :::
    > ::: All you're likely to hear are more opinions. My opinion is that to
    > ::: a significant degree, it probaby doesn't matter. It probably
    > ::: matters more if you get insufficient amounts of protein.
    > ::
    > :: Breakfast is the most important time to get protein,
    >
    > Why?
    >
    > if you're
    > :: concerned about sparing muscle. I myself get protein whenever and
    > :: however I can (within reason).
    >
    > Same here, but I still gotta ask: why breakfast?

    Because you've just gone for 8 hours without eating.

  7. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    :::::: [email protected] wrote:
    :::::::: I try to eat protein only one meal a day,
    ::::::
    :::::: why?
    ::::::
    :::::::: so what time would be the
    :::::::: best?
    ::::::
    :::::: Why should there be a best time?
    :::::
    ::::: Maybe he's a reformed bodybuilder and wants to lose muscle?
    :::
    ::: :)
    :::
    :::::
[...]

    How is that different then not eating all day and getting your protein for
    dinner or at night?

  8. "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Joe the Aroma wrote:
    > :: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > :: news:[email protected]
    > ::: Joe the Aroma wrote:
    > ::::: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > ::::: news:[email protected]
    > :::::: [email protected] wrote:
    > :::::::: I try to eat protein only one meal a day,
    > ::::::
    > :::::: why?
    > ::::::
    > :::::::: so what time would be the
    > :::::::: best?
    > ::::::
    > :::::: Why should there be a best time?
    > :::::
    > ::::: Maybe he's a reformed bodybuilder and wants to lose muscle?
    > :::
    > ::: :)
    > :::
    > :::::
    > :::::: Ive herd several
    > :::::::: different opinions, seems if it helps the body itself than
    > :::::::: maybe in the evening would be best
    > :::::::: but im just starting on this diet so i dont know.
    > ::::::
    > :::::: All you're likely to hear are more opinions. My opinion is that
    > :::::: to a significant degree, it probaby doesn't matter. It probably
    > :::::: matters more if you get insufficient amounts of protein.
    > :::::
    > ::::: Breakfast is the most important time to get protein,
    > :::
    > ::: Why?
    > :::
    > ::: if you're
    > ::::: concerned about sparing muscle. I myself get protein whenever and
    > ::::: however I can (within reason).
    > :::
    > ::: Same here, but I still gotta ask: why breakfast?
    > ::
    > :: Because you've just gone for 8 hours without eating.
    >
    > How is that different then not eating all day and getting your protein for
    > dinner or at night?

    Who doesn't eat all day? I'd say most people do.

  9. Why only one meal a day?

    Eat healthy animal proteins at every meal. You eat three to five times
    a day. Eat protein three to five times a day. What is the mystery here?

    TC

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I try to eat protein only one meal a day, so what time would be the
    > best? Ive herd several
    > different opinions, seems if it helps the body itself than maybe in
    > the evening would be best
    > but im just starting on this diet so i dont know.

  10. DJ Delorie

    DJ Delorie Guest

    Your body can't store a lot of protein, except in muscles (takes a
    long time) and stomach. If you try to get a day's worth of protein
    all at once, your digestive system *should* just stop digesting it
    until it needs it. It's probably better to spread your protein intake
    throughout the day, so that it's always available without interfering
    with digestion (assuming you believe that a steady flow of energy is
    better).

    To avoid the overnight protein fast issues, choose slower digesting
    proteins (casein, cheese) for your PM meals and faster ones (whey) for
    AM meals. Casein powder supplements, for example, take about 7 hours
    to digest.

    So, if you must eat protein only once a day (which I don't recommend),
    make sure it's the slow digesting kind, and eat it just before bed.

  11. [email protected] wrote:

    > I try to eat protein only one meal a day

    Why would you want to try a scheme like that? Have you considered
    reading some books and learning that there are well designed plans
    out there? If someone put in a couple of decades designing and
    honing a process you really should take advantage of all of that
    work.

    > so what time would be the best?

    You're talking a span of 23 hours no matter when you do it, so it
    will matter very little one time to the next.

    > but im just starting on this diet so i dont know.

    So it's time to learn first. Book time.

  12. [email protected] wrote:

    > Eat healthy animal proteins at every meal. You eat three to five times
    > a day. Eat protein three to five times a day. What is the mystery here?

    I agree.