What tire/wheel combination would support a "Clydesdale"?

Treebeard3

Jul 15, 2014
I'm a new member, and a senior Clydesdale, at 6'6" and over 260 lbs., looking to begin serious road riding.

Can anyone suggest a good tire/wheel combination that would offer high tire pressures and good flat resistance?

Do you suggest TUFO tubular-clinchers or straight tubular tires? How much pressure can tires and wheels provide?
200psi, 220psi, more?

And what about the wheels/rims? What brand/type do you recommend. Will they support the tire pressure?

Thank you all for any information you can provide.

Why go tubular? A good set of 25c or higher clinchers should be just fine.

Thank you for responding.

Any suggestion on a particular clincher? My initial search found Tufo Tubular clincher C Elite Ride 23 (up to 220 psi) and C Elite Ride 25 (up to 145 psi). Are there any others you would recommend? And what about a wheel set? Do I have to worry about the rims bending with tire pressures of 150 or greater and my weight?

Originally Posted by Treebeard3
Thank you for responding.

Any suggestion on a particular clincher? My initial search found Tufo Tubular clincher C Elite Ride 23 (up to 220 psi) and C Elite Ride 25 (up to 145 psi). Are there any others you would recommend? And what about a wheel set? Do I have to worry about the rims bending with tire pressures of 150 or greater and my weight?
Some wheels/rims come with pressure limits because of sidewall strength. Zipp101's come to mind with a max pressure rating of 120psi regardless of the tire being run, but you wouldn't want to run wheels like that at your weight anyway.

A clincher rim with a good reputation as a solid wheel is the HED Belgian C2. Typically heavier riders will (or should) run higher pressures than lighter riders but I don't no why anyone would want to run those uber high pressures anywhere except of the track, even at 250lbs or so. Also, the wider the tire, typically the lower the pressure required. At my weight for instance on a brand I often run, as per manufacturer recommendation, the 25c requires 10 lower psi than the 23c.

Additionally, with the HED Belgians, the rim width measured outside to outside at the brake track is slightly wider (at 23mm) than the older school rim designs, like Mavic, which are commonly in the 19-20mm range. This has a few benefits, one of which is a stronger rim, but also because of the increased air volume inside the tire, HED recommends lower pressures should be used which to make a long story short means a heavier rider can run a slightly lower pressure thus accommodating many tires recommended pressures, but at no loss of performance. So for a tire who's rating is say 120psi, HED recommends something like 100psi. I won't go into the benefit of the wider rims (they roll fast, are inherently stronger/stiffer, handle great, and are more comfortable because of the lower pressures required) but the fact that almost every manufacturer are slowly adopting the standard should say something.

And finally along with being available as a low weight/low spoke count factory built wheel, the rims are also sold separately with a 32 hole drilling which when paired with a quality hub and some meaty gauge spokes attached with brass nipples should serve a heavier rider like yourself reliably for years to come. Outfits like Colorado Cyclist and Excel Action Sports in Boulder build great wheels, or you may have a good bike shop capable of doing the same locally. I purchased a pair of HED C2's laced up to some Campagnolo Record hubs for about $650 from Excel and they are some of the nicest wheels I have ever come across. Smooth rolling, superb quality, and tough as nails.

Edit: Here is a review I just grabbed off the web, no endorsement of the website, it just happened to be the first one that popped up: http://drummondcycles.com/2012/12/707/

I would have wheels built for you. I weigh 230 lbs. and ride Dura Ace 36 rear with a 32 front. I have over 10,000 miles on them and they are straight as an arrow. Factory built wheels generally are not built for heavy riders. They just won't last very long. I had a pair of Bontragers that I didn't even get past the third tire replacement before the sidewalls wore out. Excel Sports builds great wheels and have a lot of options. Cost is about the same after all is said and done.

There is little reason to exceed 150 psi in a typical road tire.

If you are getting pinch flats and need more support in the rear tire, consider using a larger diameter. Larger diameters require less pressure to support loads. I commonly run with a 23 or 25c in front and 25c or larger in back. A regular road bike frame may support up to a 28c tire which are still plenty fast.

You can find many articles and calculators regarding inflation pressures. Some result in silly reccomendations, others are more useful. If your tires are not pinch flatting at or near the max inflation pressure of a 23 or 25c tire - then stick with that. If more support is needed, go with a larger tire.

I think you are over-thinking this. I weigh 281 and i have been riding Mavic Open Sports with Continental Gatorskin 25s for nearly two years (2,200 miles) and never had a problem/flat. I was 300lbs when I bought the wheels. I think these were the cheapest clinchers I could buy at Performance. As with all factory wheels, take them to your LBS and have them check them out... itll cost you $20. You do not need to spend the cash on more expensive wheels and you certainly don't need to run such a high pressure...I think mine are under 100 PSI.

Reactions: jbwillson
Thanks to all for your time and great details!

I'll keep you updated as I find a local bike shop to help me get ready to ride.

Originally Posted by Treebeard3
I'm a new member, and a senior Clydesdale, at 6'6" and over 260 lbs., looking to begin serious road riding.

Can anyone suggest a good tire/wheel combination that would offer high tire pressures and good flat resistance?

Do you suggest TUFO tubular-clinchers or straight tubular tires? How much pressure can tires and wheels provide?
200psi, 220psi, more?

And what about the wheels/rims? What brand/type do you recommend. Will they support the tire pressure?

Thank you all for any information you can provide.
I'd recommended getting a custom built set of wheels with either the Flo 30 or HED Ardennes + rims. For your weight I'd go with 36 spokes front and rear - maybe 32 spokes at a very minimum.

The Flo 30's are 24.6mm wide (outside at braking surface) the Ardennes+ are 25mm.

I vary a lot in weight depending on training and beer consumption - I'm currently at 216lb. I just picked up a set of Flo 30's with 28 spoke front and 32 rear paired with a Dura Ace front hub and an existing PowerTap rear hub. The ride quality is far far better than the 19mm rims I was riding on. They corner better and kill the road buzz. I still use Conti GP4000S tires 23mm - they fit the width of the rim perfectly.

I only have a few hundred miles on these wheels but they're probably the best riding wheels I've had in the 20+ years of cycling (on and off over the years).

Tires - Conti GP4000S all day every day. I've tried others and nothing comes close IMHO.

Tire pressure. On 19mm rims (rim width not tire width) I'd use 120psi rear and 115psi front for your weight. On ~25mm wide rims I'd start at 100 rear and 90 front.

Many wheels these days come with a number of spoke that are not suitable for clydes at all. Sure they look sexy and look fast but they also suck when you're in the middle of nowhere, a spoke breaks and you have to call for a ride cause the wheel won't rotate as they jam in-between the brake blocks. When I get down to my "usual" riding weight in the 160 - 170lb range that 28 and 32 spoke combo would be considered overkill by many but the fact is that I can break a spoke or two and still get home. If I do a 600km audax/brevet ride that involves riding through the night miles from the nearest town then its a similar deal - a 3:30am spoke pop just means a few minutes removing the spoke before continuing on.

I have Continental Sport Contact. I am 17 stone, I run these at 80psi in 28mm, great tyre never had a flat in 1,000s of miles. I find the lower pressure and wider tyre gives a more pleasant ride. I think that there is no difference in the speed in my case from (23mm 110 psi). I also think these tyre protect the wheels from potholes ect. I have these on Shimano RS 20, great wheels.

I know this is an old thread, but for any newer readers (like myself), I kept breaking spokes on the stock P-SL1 rims on my Giant Defy Advanced 1. My bike shop suggested my 250 lbs might be too much for them, and recommended Velocity Deep-V 32 spoke rims with Velocity hubs. I had a set built for me, installed 25mm Continental Gatorskins, inflate them to 90 front/100 rear, and they're positively bombproof.