What Tires are y'all running?

redneck47441

Sep 9, 2009
I was curious as to what tires y'all are running? I'm currently on continentals! I also had another question how many milimeters do you guys come up with to get you speed right on your cycle computer I have a 700x23c I'm thinking it's 2033?

redneck47441 said:
I was curious as to what tires y'all are running? I'm currently on continentals!
Bontrager Select-K with Kevlar, 700x25.
redneck47441 said:
I also had another question how many milimeters do you guys come up with to get you speed right on your cycle computer I have a 700x23c I'm thinking it's 2033?
Read your comp's manual, it will tell you what number to set it at for your tire size.
If your comp is a Sigma 506, the number for 700x23 is 2133.

I'm using Maxxis ReFuse clinchers, and on the other wheelset, Continental Sprinter Gatorskin tubulars.

The numbers in computer manuals for tire circumference are only average values. The actual circumferences can vary quite a bit between manufacturers and models of tires. The best way to get a number is to get on your bike roll the bike so that the wheel which is used for speed distance measurement does a few revolutions. Measure the distance, in mm, the tire covered doing those revolutions and divide that number by the number of revolutions the tire did. The more revolutions you do, the more certain your measurement gets. You should do this roll out procedure with the tires inflated to the pressures you normally use.

Regarding tires, the desert, here, is a hostile environment for tires, but the ReFuse tires have held up great, getting only one flat in about 1000 miles.

redneck47441 said:
I was curious as to what tires y'all are running? I'm currently on continentals! I also had another question how many milimeters do you guys come up with to get you speed right on your cycle computer I have a 700x23c I'm thinking it's 2033?

I use Continental GP4000 in summer, and Hutchinson Top Speed in winter (both are 700x23c).
It would be 2133, as said before. And yes, it's an average value, as alienator said. But it's better than 2033.