What tires do I need for the road

bobdillinz

Jul 3, 2013
Just bought a giant revel 4 it has 26x2.1 nobly tires I'm wondering what size tires should i buy what would be good for riding on roads any advice would be fantastic

Originally Posted by bobdillinz .

On
roads and a bit if light gravel the wheels size 26x2.1 am I able to use 26x1.95 sorry but I haven't got a clue
Yes, the key thing is that the tires are 26" and not 700c.

For fast road riding Continental makes a Gatorskin to fit 26" wheels that will be a relatively narrow tire at 1 1/8" and best for pure pavement or almost entirely pavement riding. It's still a tough tire with good puncture resistance but definitely leans towards to faster pavement end of the spectrum.

For a fast tire with a little tread patten better suited to road plus gravel paths and such you might check out the Schwalbe Marathon, it's a bit wider, has some tread but is still primarily a commuting/road tire and is faster on smooth surfaces and roads than knobby MTB tires. There are others out there like the Schwalbe such as these: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10052&langId=-1&categoryId=400237&metaData=&pageSize=&orderBy=&searchTerm= Just make sure you stick with the 26" tires and not 27" or 700c.

-Dave

thanks dave for that so would you Recommend Something like a 26 x 1.9 ?? Or thinner cheers bob

Originally Posted by bobdillinz .

thanks dave for that so would you Recommend Something like a 26 x 1.9 ?? Or thinner cheers bob
Either will work, but if it was me and I was planning on spending more than 90% of my time on pavement I'd go with something like the narrower Gatorskins. For more general road and gravel/dirt path riding I'd go with something like the Schwalbe Marathon or one of the Forte tires linked. If I was going to spend more than 50% of my time off pavement then I'd go with a tire that had more tread like a file tread cyclocross tire in a 26" size to fit your wheels or a knobbed but not super aggressive MTB tire.

-Dave

Thankyou dave I've gone for the Schwalbe city jet 26x1.95 I didn't want to go to narrow due to the roads here in wales thankyou for all your advice many thanks bob

Continental, Michelin, Kenda, Innova, Specialized and Ritchey all make 26" Road Tires for MTBs that will be ridden mostly on pavement. They really make a difference on how the bike handles on the street. I use Specialized on my '84 Schwinn Sidewinder.

Reactions: mybike88