What Tires do u use on the velodrome???

Jonny

May 23, 2002
I up for some new tires on my track bike and wondering what type to get?? I run clinchers.
I have been told my current tires are too slippery for riding on the dunc gray velodrome.

Any ideas???

Thanks

Jonny

I loved continental supersonics when i had them on my track bike for a season. They the QUICKEST tyres i have ever ridden, but they are also a little slippery on the velodrome (especially) when new. They also tend to wear out rather quickly even though u only use them on the boards. But i would recommend them for pure race tyres on the velodrome. The "slipperiness" of the tyres matters little unless u r going to slow. Even at warmup pace the tyres should not slip on the track. Thats my opinion, i would be interested in others' thoughts.

I use Soyo. Still have a few left but cannot find anyone, anywhere that sells them. Any clues?

For basic track racing & training, I & a few others use Conti GP3000 tyres. These appear to grip well & are reasonably quick.

If going to singles, you would look at Conti Tempos. They seem to wear fine. I use both these for the last track season & had no problems.

Cheers

I've just invested in some cheap Conti singles.
How far can I wear my old singles before they will blow?
I can see canvas most of the way around the tyre at the moment.

Brian

I wouldsuggest Conti Sprinters, especially if you ride on a steeper track. For sew-ups they are reasonable and the lable isn't on the rubber. it's on the sidewall. That is good if you ride slower on a steep track.

veloflex record, hand made tires from italy, 145psi, awsome

In 2002 the Australian National team started paying for their tyres instead of being given them by conti. The tyres they chose are the tyres used by the French team for years now. They are called Andre Dugast. The performance of these can best be described by Shane Kelly, who stated "after riding on the Dugasts, riding on the best conti's is like riding on a piece of garden hose." It must be also be noted that since the change, Australia has regained it's place at the top of the world in track cycling. Breaking the Team Pursuit World Record twice.
There is a shop in Parramatta called The Bike Barn to whom I (as the Dugast Importer) supply these tyres. Otherwise feel free to drop me a line through this forum.
But when push comes to shove, the best clinchers on the planet are no match for a reasonable single (tubular to internationals) when it comes to rolling resistance. Check out my web site for info on rolling resistance. http://www.andre-dugast-tyres.com

I use Atlanta Golds, but have thought about trying dugasts.

The GB squad riders also use them at times.

I was using Atlanta Golds myself until last year. I have found that I am able to ride 1.8 inches bigger gear since riding the dugast silks (black tread). It must also be noted that the Atlanta Golds are 20mm profile compared to the Dugasts I use at 22mm. So in effect the gear is bigger again. I am (at the age of 42) doing better times (Flying 200) than ever before. I do know that the Dugasts are available in the UK so go get some. You'll be impressed.

I have been told they don't last too long, thats not great when my track riding is only intermitent.

The Latex (pink tread) doesn't last long, but the diamond (black) tread is as robust as the Conti Sondiklasse 165g hand made. But the tyre is much, much quicker. I have been using mine on both the indoor boards and outdoor on concrete, without any problems so far. However I wouldn't even dream of using the latex tread on concrete. Incidently, all Dugast tyres are hand made.

Originally posted by Jonny
I up for some new tires on my track bike and wondering what type to get?? I run clinchers.
I have been told my current tires are too slippery for riding on the dunc gray velodrome.

Any ideas???

Thanks

Jonny

Tufo 135g tubulars. Super light, super high psi, and they don't break the bank. You can even go as low as 110g/tire. Roll smoothly and feel nice and preductable. Don't like the Conti supersonics because the have a slippery tread. Had my front wheel wrench sideways on my during a sprint in a banking at full throttle. the tires are so slippery I didn't even lose my line on the track following the guys. Kinda scary.

While the Tufo Tyres quote certain weights, I would be interested to know what they weigh on a set of reasonably accurate scales. I do know that Conti advertise their Olympic 110g tyre as 110g. But when I weighed several of them, they were all within a couple of grams of 140g. I then applied this same process to the Hand made Sondeklasse 165g to find they weighed around 195g.

This leads me to believe that tyre manufacturers are quoting the bag weight only, excluding the tube and maybe even the base tape. After having a Tufo 135g here for a short while, but without access to scales, I would be surprised if Tufo didn't do the same as Conti. I also found the bag to be very stiff, which doesn't make for a "quick" tyre. This also reduces the grip on the board tracks, which is one of the issues raised by the original message poster.

Originally posted by taras0000
Tufo 135g tubulars. Super light, super high psi, and they don't break the bank. You can even go as low as 110g/tire. Roll smoothly and feel nice and preductable. Don't like the Conti supersonics because the have a slippery tread. Had my front wheel wrench sideways on my during a sprint in a banking at full throttle. the tires are so slippery I didn't even lose my line on the track following the guys. Kinda scary.

Think u've gotta learn how to ride a bike especially on a banked track. Sounds like ur a danger to urself and everyone around u. supersonics may be slippery especially brand new going off the mark but at speed thyre perfectly fine and a damn good tire although they do wear quickly.

on the track no matter what people say it is only about 15% of staying on track is due to tyre and supra sonics ar't slipery if ther not above 160 psi they will move on teh rim and feel funny but staying on the tarck is done by keeping preasure on the cranks and even preasure too same way a bucket will hold water in it while spining it over ur head but once u lose preasure in teh spins or the handle brakes u get wet.

Originally posted by king_matt87
on the track no matter what people say it is only about 15% of staying on track is due to tyre and supra sonics ar't slipery if ther not above 160 psi they will move on teh rim and feel funny but staying on the tarck is done by keeping preasure on the cranks and even preasure too same way a bucket will hold water in it while spining it over ur head but once u lose preasure in teh spins or the handle brakes u get wet.

The track has a plastic coating on it to withstand the HARSH winters that an outdoor track would have to put up with in Montreal. Even though it is dimpled, the nature of the material is just slippery. The Conti tires haven't been a problem at all on other tracks, I was just put off by the way that they perform. The Tufo's are true to their weight. I've weighed every Tufo that I've bought annd they all weigh less than the printed weight.

contis rule the roost unless you can afford Dugasts. I use conti tempos at about £35 a pop.