What tires do you use?

I bought a few pairs of Michelin Pro race 2's a while back and that is what I am using but will have to look for something else when they are worn out.

steve said:
What tires do you guys use? and what made you decide to purchase them?

I'm currently using Continental Ultra GatorSkin on my road bike, the guy at my LBS said they'd be ideal for racing and training. They feel alright on the road plus they were cheap for a good quality tire.

For road racing with a clincher wheel, I like the Vitorria Diamante Pro Lite. It's light, sticky with great road feel. For training on the road, anything cheap and heavy will do.

This is about clinchers.....

I'm the only guy I know who doesn't mind using different tyres for the front and rear. I'm about 86kg, so I go through rear tyres a lot quicker than my lighter mates, therefore, I usually use something more durable and flat resistant on the back, and something 'nicer' on the front. Also, i like to ride to the local races in the crit season, so using something uber-fancy on the rear, like an EVO CX, may risk flatting on the glassy roads around the race course (most of the courses are in industrial areas).

I've been using Gators on the rear for a long time, mostly ffor training and on my wet day bikes, but since I noticed that GP4000Ses are reasonably priced on the net, I've been using those on the back lately, and they've been going ok. I'm gunna ditch the Gators and try the GP4000s as rears for a while.

The Gators obviously don't feel as fast as the fancy tyres, but if I pump the rear up to about 130 (or more on good roads), I don't notice as much. I reckon I feel crapper tyres more if they're under my hands; generally, and when steering.

GP4000Ss feel ok to me (I've had them on both front and rear), but not as good as Vitoria EVOs or Pro Race 2s. Some people rave about them, but i don't know what the fuss is about. They tested as fast as PR 2s and 3s in the test below, which surprised me a bit. I've been a bit of an 'anti-Conti' guy since I realized how horrible GP3000s and the old 'regular' GPs were, but the GP4000Ses might turn me around.

I reckon Pro Race 2s were the best balance of speed and grip, with reasonable durability and puncture resistance for a racey tyre. The price on line was ok, too. I'm disappointed that they've become hard to get. Are they still being made? I liked them a lot.

Pro Race 3s feel a little sluggish and spongey to me, but very, very grippy. I like having on on the front for fast corners. I hated them at first, then I reckon i figured out that they go a bit better with 10 to 15 more psi, compared with other tyres. I was very suprised that they tested the same as PR2s on the test below. I haven't had the poor durability and 'cutting' problems that other people ont he net have had. The price on line os ok, so I'll probably keep using them.

Vittoria EVO Open Corsa are great. These are the only tyres that blew me away, and finally made me realize that there was a big difference between good and ordinary stuff. They feel very fast and grippy, but are not very durable at all, and seem to cut and blow at the drop of a hat. :D A few years ago, I had two of them slice and blow, just from riding over sharp stones! These tyres are very thin (there's not much rubber on them, and the casing also seems very thin), so I guess it's little wonder that they feel great, but don't last. I currently have a few EVO CXs, and I sometimes put one on the front for a race. They've a bit expensive, even on line (over $55AUD on some Brit sits), so I might baulk at getting any more for a while.

I've never had a Diamente, but i intend to try them one day.

I used Vredestein TriComps for a long time, because I was getting good deals from my local shop, but I had a bad run with them going out of shape way before they wore out, so I stopped using them. This is when I switched to PR2s, which immediately felt faster to me, so i never went back to Vredesteins. Their lower and mid-range tyres are simply horrible. Even their slicks don't feel fast to me. I think they revamped their models last year, so I might try them again soon.

Schwalbe Ultremos are ok, but nothing special. To me, they feel like a slightly slower version of PR2s -- very similar. I reckon they have a loose fit, so they go better on tighter rims. I'd use them if the price was great. As with Vredesteins, their mid-range stuff is worse than a garden hose.

Specialized tyres are disgusting, but i haven't ridden on any for a few years

That's all I can think of at the minute. I've never had any fancy Clements, Dedas, Zipps or Veloflex clnichers.

I cut out the tubulars on this test :D

tryedragallononepage.jpg

steve said:

Michelin Pro3 Race. Best damn clincher you can buy: Light weight, supple ride. There's tires that last longer, but the Michelin's are reasonably sturdy to be used for training. I think I get roughly about 3000 miles out of a rear wheel.

I had one set of them that cad the cutting problem, but I think that was somehow a bad batch. Never had the problem before or after.

Rustyhole said:
Specialized All/Condition Armadillo Elite 700x23c - all rides

Me too, in 25mm. They seem to hook up well enough. I'm not in it for speed, my concern is for puncture resistance and treadwear.

taniwha said:
I have also found the move from 23mm to 25mm on training tyres has been excellent, with greater comfort and grip in the wet (lower pressure), plus greater durability on metal roads.

Good move. Paying attention to quality casings also will improve performance. Gatorskins are a decent training tire at a good price but rather harsh.

The Schwalbe Ultremo is an exceptional tire from both a performance and puncture resistance perspective.

I ran them at Paris-Brest-Paris 2007 in terrible conditions without a single flat. The vectran belt really performs as claimed. Rolling resistance is excellent.

Now available in 25 & 28.

My beater wheels get last years training tires GP4000's, my training wheels get new GP4000's and my Sunday or event day rides get Vittoria Open Corsa 320tpi. I've used different ones over the years and also like Vittoria Rubino's and Bontrager Lite's, was not impressed with Michalin ProRace3's

stdu007 said:
I like my vittoria rubino pro 23 for every day ride no flat 3500 miles on them
thats what I was looking for! good to know. Thank you paramount64 for bringing this to my attention!

[lang=da]Elsker mine Ritchley Z Max Premonition WCS 26 2.1
Bider godt i alle underlag, bare ikke mudder ;)
Ingen særlig modstand på asfalt i forhold til dens greb i skoven.
[/lang]

steve said:

I'm currently using Continental Ultra GatorSkin on my road bike, the guy at my LBS said they'd be ideal for racing and training. They feel alright on the road plus they were cheap for a good quality tire.

Clinchers: Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX or Veloflex Pave
Tubulars: Veloflex Criteriums or Continental Competitions

The Veloflexes and Vittorias I chose because of smoothness and rolling feel. Continentals I chose because they are tough and hold air well (don't have to pump as often).

Don't ever buy michelin lithion.I ma on them right now.Countinuesly flats.I ma on them about 2000miles and flatted for totally almost 10 times or maybe more.The last time is today.I ma weighted 117 pounds and ride only 50 miles per ride.But it's making me desperate by waving to my fellow friends for them to wait for me to change my faking tube all the time.:mad:

I use 23mm Vittoria Rallys. I feel they have a rolling resistance advantage at the pressure you actually use on the street.

They are also a great value for a dual compound, 220TPI tire.

They go on easy enough and roll straight enough.

Trying tubulars on a vintage twelve speed was easy too because there are a lot of old wheelsets on Ebay.

Hi,
I've been hit by a lot of punctures lately and I'm looking around for the best tyres to help reduce punctures. I ride an Allez Specialized road bike, the tyres i've got are not expensive or anything special. i'm looking to spend a bit of money to get some good puncture resistant tyres without reducing my bikes performance. Do any of you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks

Paul

People say good things about Gatorskins and Armadillos. My son, who because of a disability cannot use his left hand to remove/replace a blown tube as he can't get the tire off the rim without assistance, commutes to & from a boathouse (he's a sculler) in the early morning hours well before sun-up when the probability of help from another passing cyclist is nil. He replaced his bike's original tires immediately after his first blowout/hike with Panaracer T-Serv Messenger tires. Never a blowout since, and the tires have lasted forever. They weight 280g in 700x25.

If "performance" is of extreme importance to you, you might consider the Vittoria Revo tires, which are reversible, and have an extra layer of puncture-resistant beltimg (one layer per side). Not sure these are made any more, but think they're still available--cheap!--on closeout. You might also check out the Vittoria Open Pave's. For even greater protection, take a look at the Randonneuring and City tires on the Vittoria website; these will of course be heavy, but flats should become a thing of the past.

I used to get many flats, here in western North America, mostly from 'goatheads' a devilish plant with sharp spikes that's been invading this area. I have started using 'slimed' tubes and I have not had a flat since. These tubes are a little heavier but they work. My bike shop has a supply of the green goo and they will fill any tube one purchases for a nominal fee. They do not affect the balance of the wheels, if properly installed.

Thanks for the great replies, I really appreciate them and will look into your suggestions. Sorry I didn't see the earlier thread, I should have done a search before asking the question but I was just about to go to work and I discovered I'd picked up a puncture the night before. I was a little frustrated and fired off the question before jumping in the car and going to work.

I use to live in the desert areas of California where goatheads ruled the roads! When I first moved there I had so many flats I almost hung my bike up!! I tried various kevlar belted tires, and my second to last attempt was the Conti Gatorskin with a Mr Tuffy AND Slime tubes! The dang goatheads got through all of that ****; and in the process discovered that Slime tubes are **** in high pressure road tires. Once you get a flat using Slime then try to air back up, the Slime will seal the leak until you reach about 65psi then it just blows out of the hole and your flat again.

So I went to another LBS after I moved to Bakersfield CA from Palmdale/Lancaster and they turned me on to Specialized Armadillo All Condition Pro. At first I was skeptical because they are heavy, but I caved and bought a pair. I rode those tires for about 4,500 miles and never had a flat. In fact the LBS told me to use ultralight racing tubes and to throw out the Mr Tuffy's because I wasn't going to need it. The only flat I had while living in Bakersfield after 4 sets of tires was when I rode a Armadillo down to the cords and a pebble made it's way through; so for fun I rode it slowly for 5 miles flat to see how the sidewall would hold up...it stayed on the rim and the sidewall was only slightly scuffed.

But be forewarned, the Armadillo's are very stiff due to the puncture resistant sidewalls and are a pain to install. Thus if you decide to go the Armadillo route you'll need a tire lever called the VAR, see: VAR Special Tyre Levers. :: £5.50 :: Accessories & Tools. :: Tools - Tyre Levers. :: cyclebasket.com : With us, you and your bike can do anything! This will make installing these tires a breeze without any thought of pinching a tube, and it's small enough to fit in most seat bags. Also note that due to the stiff sidewalls their not as comfortable riding as racing tires...but that's not what their intended for anyways.