What tires do you use?



sevenrider310

New Member
Jan 20, 2004
51
0
0
I have been a big fan of Michelin Pro Race for a while now but they cut so easily, price you pay for the ride quality I guess. I have tried Conti GP3000 but not as nice of a ride. What do you guys all ride on? Im looking for great feel with a little more puncture protection. Ive looked into durable puncture resistant tires but theyre so heavy and feel rock hard. Any suggestions?
 

lokstah

New Member
Sep 30, 2003
2,164
0
0
Well, among higher end clinchers, I've found that Fortezza TriComps (Vredestein) provide a good balance between good rolling feel and toughness.

They're an interesting contrast; they've got that hand-made feel. A bit stiffer than ProRaces, which are nearly gummy, but about as light. They feel pretty good and hold up quite well for me.

Good luck.
 

Cipher

New Member
Sep 7, 2002
782
1
18
Originally posted by sevenrider310
I have been a big fan of Michelin Pro Race for a while now but they cut so easily, price you pay for the ride quality I guess. I have tried Conti GP3000 but not as nice of a ride. What do you guys all ride on? Im looking for great feel with a little more puncture protection. Ive looked into durable puncture resistant tires but theyre so heavy and feel rock hard. Any suggestions?

I'm on my first pair of Bontrager Race X-Lite Silica (700x23, came stock on my Tête De Course). So far so good, but I only have approx. 200 mi. on them so it still a little Early to say how well they will stand up over the long haul. I think these are a Conti manufactured tyre labeled for Bontrager. (Close in design to their GP3000).
 

Routier

New Member
Aug 28, 2003
30
0
0
35
I had a good experience with Continental Attack and Force. It's a set with a different front and rear tire. It's got a good resistance and roll's like heaven. Bad thing about it is the cost. For a set you would likely pay 80$ but I can buy them at an official dealer where the price is 60$ :p
 

Aztec

New Member
Jul 8, 2003
835
0
0
Specialized Mondo Pro, formerly called their Cippolini model. Thicker center section, yet still light.

You guys who think you can 'feel' a big difference among tires are nuts. How much easier will the best tires roll vs. the average tire? Maybe .05 mph? Tell me you can feel the difference between 20 and 20.05mph! That's right up there with feeling the difference between wheels (OK, fine, you can tell the diff between a disk and a 36 spoke standard, but in between it gets dicier).
 

Babbar

New Member
Aug 10, 2003
163
0
0
76
I had a pair of 26x1.95 Bontrager Hard Cases on my Trek Navigator for nearly 3,000 miles and nary a flat. I had accidentally ridden over some pretty nasty stuff and nothing. Not even too many cuts, either.

So, when I ordered my Zurich, I ordered a set of 700x25 Hard Cases. Had a flat after about 50 miles and another one after about 200. There are also cut in two or three places. Not the kind of puncture resistant I was looking for.

I am going to try a set of Armadillos next.

I also agree with Aztec about "feeling" the difference between different tires. If you're not Jan Ullrich or Lance Armstrong, or trying to beat them in a bicycle race, I very seriously doubt the average cyclist can "feel" the difference. I would hazard a guess that Jan or Lance can't "feel" the difference, either. They can only tell that their times are marginally, like a few tenths of a second, faster.
 

sorebutt

New Member
Apr 23, 2004
28
0
0
about 600 miles ago I got myself a set of "Continental Grand Prix Supersonic" 700x23c, and I thing it is the fastest tire I have ever ridden. going down hills is so much more fun.. you can inflate then to 145psi and they roll like there is no friction.. they have a very soft and sticky layer on top which give you lots of grip and confidence..
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
Originally posted by sorebutt
.... they have a very soft and sticky layer on top which give you lots of grip and confidence..
...and no puncture resistance.
 

lokstah

New Member
Sep 30, 2003
2,164
0
0
Originally posted by Aztec
Specialized Mondo Pro, formerly called their Cippolini model. Thicker center section, yet still light.

You guys who think you can 'feel' a big difference among tires are nuts. How much easier will the best tires roll vs. the average tire? Maybe .05 mph? Tell me you can feel the difference between 20 and 20.05mph! That's right up there with feeling the difference between wheels (OK, fine, you can tell the diff between a disk and a 36 spoke standard, but in between it gets dicier).
I never said I could feel myself going faster with one set of tires over the other; that would be nuts for anyone who isn't time-trialing at an extraordinarily competetive level, or who isn't a superhero.

I don't think it's out-there to suggest that different tires can feel different in terms of how they roll, though. Sure, those differences are generally subtle, but differences in casing texture, softness, thickness, and so on, are readable in the ride.
 

Jakebrake

New Member
Apr 17, 2004
351
0
0
I have Conti Attack/Force on both of my bicycles, I've no complaints so far. Also tried the Bontrager X Race Lite Silica, thought those were nice tires as well.

I agree with Lokstah, you can tell the difference in tires. Perhaps not the higher end, but I know I tried a pair of specialized armadillos awhile back and I returned them after the first day. Too much rolling resistance, a slightly heavier tire and not as responsive.
 

tcklyde

New Member
Dec 17, 2003
1,437
0
0
45
Gommitalia Calypso's for me. Kevlar bead. And Kevlar belting for a bit extra puncture resistence. Not the lightest, but otherwise perfectly fine.
 

Aztec

New Member
Jul 8, 2003
835
0
0
Originally posted by lokstah

I don't think it's out-there to suggest that different tires can feel different in terms of how they roll, though. Sure, those differences are generally subtle, but differences in casing texture, softness, thickness, and so on, are readable in the ride.


BAH! :)

What you more likely feel is the difference in psi. THAT I could understand. I could tell no diff between my fast-wearing Vittorias, Mich Pro Races, and super-long wearing Spec Mondos. Or possibly I'm just dense!
 

lokstah

New Member
Sep 30, 2003
2,164
0
0
Originally posted by Aztec
BAH! :)

What you more likely feel is the difference in psi. THAT I could understand. I could tell no diff between my fast-wearing Vittorias, Mich Pro Races, and super-long wearing Spec Mondos. Or possibly I'm just dense!
Or possibly I'm a superhero, and my power is ultra-sense! Well, Aztec, if we ever cross paths, we should do a Pepsi challenge. We could get the carbon fiber seatpost debate out of the way as well, for the benefit of those who obsess over it.

Until then, my non-mutant friend, you're just going to have to trust my butt's ultra-sense. Or not. I'll understand if you don't.

:cool:
 

cachehiker

New Member
Sep 30, 2003
120
0
0
For training, Michelin Carbons rule.

I've put in 4000 miles on them with only two flats. I deserved the first as I was riding off road. Not as puncture resistant as a Gatorskin or Armadillo but 50 or whatever grams lighter and much faster. I'm still not filled with confidence when riding them in the wet though.

I've also been riding Hutchinson Carbon Comps when I need the extra 0.1 mph. The difference in road feel is noticeable as I feel smaller pebbles than I do with the Carbons. No flats thus far but there is only ~300 miles on them too.
 

armchair_spacem

New Member
Oct 19, 2003
141
0
0
Originally posted by sevenrider310
I have been a big fan of Michelin Pro Race for a while now but they cut so easily, price you pay for the ride quality I guess. I have tried Conti GP3000 but not as nice of a ride. What do you guys all ride on? Im looking for great feel with a little more puncture protection. Ive looked into durable puncture resistant tires but theyre so heavy and feel rock hard. Any suggestions?

I've been riding prorace for a year or so and while the road feel is great they cut up on my local roads too easily for my liking. I fitted a pair of Vittoria Rubino Pros a couple of weeks back - they're a shade heavier than the prorace and the ride is a bit firmer, but they feel strong under me, seem to roll fairly nicely and grip in greasy conditions is good so far. So far I'm happy. the proraces felt a bit "squirrelly" under hard cornering, the Rubinos feel solid. Durability? Too early to tell, but at 30% less cost if I get a bit more out of them than the proraces I'll be happy.
 

Aztec

New Member
Jul 8, 2003
835
0
0
Originally posted by lokstah
Or possibly I'm a superhero, and my power is ultra-sense! Well, Aztec, if we ever cross paths, we should do a Pepsi challenge. We could get the carbon fiber seatpost debate out of the way as well, for the benefit of those who obsess over it.

Until then, my non-mutant friend, you're just going to have to trust my butt's ultra-sense. Or not. I'll understand if you don't.

:cool:

As fellow Bay Area overpayers for housing, we just might cross paths someday.

On the CF seatpost, I'm a HUGE believer. Caveat: that has to be a compact geometry/downsloping top tube. My Cervelo's aero CF seatpost absorbs a ton of shock. Of course, though, is has about a foot of post showing...

On the tires, well, I am a disbeliever!