What To Buy? Jamis XLT, Specialized Enduro, nothing?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by J. Slater, May 18, 2003.

  1. J. Slater

    J. Slater Guest

    Are there sites that sell Jamis bikes direct?

    Any body care to voice their opinions on which of the two are the better bike for the cash?

    I'm in the Austin area and I don't really care for the Buck's Bikes people. Anyone else that is good
    to deal with?

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    What about Bicycle Sports Shop or Freewheeling up by the UT campus?

    "J. Slater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Are there sites that sell Jamis bikes direct?
    >
    > Any body care to voice their opinions on which of the two are the better bike for the cash?
    >
    > I'm in the Austin area and I don't really care for the Buck's Bikes
    people.
    > Anyone else that is good to deal with?
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. J. Slater

    J. Slater Guest

    Thanks. Haven't tried Freewheeling, although the people I talked to on the phone over at
    Bicycle Sport Shop didn't seem to want to help me on the model I was interested in. Kept
    pushing the Enduro...

    "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    > What about Bicycle Sports Shop or Freewheeling up by the UT campus?
    >
    > "J. Slater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Are there sites that sell Jamis bikes direct?
    > >
    > > Any body care to voice their opinions on which of the two are the better bike for the cash?
    > >
    > > I'm in the Austin area and I don't really care for the Buck's Bikes
    > people.
    > > Anyone else that is good to deal with?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

  4. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    Well, AFAIK, they don;t sell Jamis. Enduro is a good bike from what I can tell... wish I could
    afford one, and had the skills to use it! The guys at FreeWheeling are pretty cool... they deal with
    a lot of college students, so theyd have to be. The guys at BSS are cool also, but I guess it
    depends on who you talk to. The shop I go to is the one by Zilker, more or less on the corner of
    Lamar and Barton Springs. I highly recommend them both, but its best to stop bye and visit each to
    see which one you prefer. I buy some from each of them, spread the wealth ya know? :) BSS also is
    pushing the Epic this week pretty hard, giving free test rides and 50% off rental or something. Very
    good looking bikes.

    "J. Slater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks. Haven't tried Freewheeling, although the people I talked to on the phone over at Bicycle
    > Sport Shop didn't seem to want to help me on the
    model
    > I was interested in. Kept pushing the Enduro...
    >
    > "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    > > What about Bicycle Sports Shop or Freewheeling up by the UT campus?
    > >
    > > "J. Slater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Are there sites that sell Jamis bikes direct?
    > > >
    > > > Any body care to voice their opinions on which of the two are the
    better
    > > > bike for the cash?
    > > >
    > > > I'm in the Austin area and I don't really care for the Buck's Bikes
    > > people.
    > > > Anyone else that is good to deal with?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks.

  5. J. Slater

    J. Slater Guest

    Have you seen the "Jeep" series of bikes? What do you think? I'm sure some big bike maker in the Far
    East builds the frame, but who is anyone's guess. The Jeep Rubicon Sport has an impressive list of
    equipment, all top-of-the-line as far as I can tell, except the shocks which I've never heard of...

    "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > Well, AFAIK, they don;t sell Jamis. Enduro is a good bike from what I can tell... wish I could
    > afford one, and had the skills to use it! The guys
    at
    > FreeWheeling are pretty cool... they deal with a lot of college students,
    so
    > theyd have to be. The guys at BSS are cool also, but I guess it depends
    on
    > who you talk to. The shop I go to is the one by Zilker, more or less on
    the
    > corner of Lamar and Barton Springs. I highly recommend them both, but its best to stop bye and
    > visit each to see which one you prefer. I buy some from each of them, spread the wealth ya know?
    > :) BSS also is pushing the Epic this week pretty hard, giving free test rides and 50% off rental
    > or something. Very good looking bikes.
    >
    > "J. Slater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Thanks. Haven't tried Freewheeling, although the people I talked to on
    the
    > > phone over at Bicycle Sport Shop didn't seem to want to help me on the
    > model
    > > I was interested in. Kept pushing the Enduro...
    > >
    > > "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:eek:[email protected]...
    > > > What about Bicycle Sports Shop or Freewheeling up by the UT campus?
    > > >
    > > > "J. Slater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > better

    > > > people.

  6. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    Nope I haven't, but, unless I am confused with the Hummer brand, I think they are really heavy...
    ask other in this group, I am sure they know more. I have never seen one myself.

    "J. Slater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Have you seen the "Jeep" series of bikes? What do you think? I'm sure
    some
    > big bike maker in the Far East builds the frame, but who is anyone's
    guess.
    > The Jeep Rubicon Sport has an impressive list of equipment, all top-of-the-line as far as I can
    > tell, except the shocks which I've never heard of...
    >

    > "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > > Well, AFAIK, they don;t sell Jamis. Enduro is a good bike from what I
    can
    > > tell... wish I could afford one, and had the skills to use it! The guys
    > at
    > > FreeWheeling are pretty cool... they deal with a lot of college
    students,
    > so
    > > theyd have to be. The guys at BSS are cool also, but I guess it depends
    > on
    > > who you talk to. The shop I go to is the one by Zilker, more or less on
    > the
    > > corner of Lamar and Barton Springs. I highly recommend them both, but
    its
    > > best to stop bye and visit each to see which one you prefer. I buy some from each of them,
    > > spread the wealth ya know? :) BSS also is pushing
    the
    > > Epic this week pretty hard, giving free test rides and 50% off rental or something. Very good
    > > looking bikes.
    > >
    > > "J. Slater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Thanks. Haven't tried Freewheeling, although the people I talked to on
    > the
    > > > phone over at Bicycle Sport Shop didn't seem to want to help me on the
    > > model
    > > > I was interested in. Kept pushing the Enduro...
    > > >
    > > > "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:eek:[email protected]...

    > > better

    Bikes

  7. Pepper

    Pepper Guest

    Bought my Trek HT at Freewheelin' back in the mid 90's. Just bought a Sugar 3+ at BSS North
    in December.

    University sell the Jamis also. I borrowed a friend's Dakar and found it to be very sketchy - a lot
    of noise from the back end and did not feel tight. Rear skewer came undone at the end of the ride.

    Post up on BikeMojo if you want some more Austin info:
    http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14

    "J. Slater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Are there sites that sell Jamis bikes direct?
    >
    > Any body care to voice their opinions on which of the two are the better bike for the cash?
    >
    > I'm in the Austin area and I don't really care for the Buck's Bikes
    people.
    > Anyone else that is good to deal with?
    >
    > Thanks.

  8. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Pepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bought my Trek HT at Freewheelin' back in the mid 90's. Just bought a
    Sugar
    > 3+ at BSS North in December.
    >
    > University sell the Jamis also. I borrowed a friend's Dakar and found it
    > be very sketchy - a lot of noise from the back end and did not feel tight. Rear skewer came undone
    > at the end of the ride.
    >
    > Post up on BikeMojo if you want some more Austin info:
    > http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14
    >

    > "J. Slater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Are there sites that sell Jamis bikes direct?
    > >
    > > Any body care to voice their opinions on which of the two are the better bike for the cash?
    > >
    > > I'm in the Austin area and I don't really care for the Buck's Bikes
    > people.
    > > Anyone else that is good to deal with?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    The tell your friend to get his Jamis built up properly. I've been riding mine for months now and
    it's tight and fast...kinda like my last girlfriend but that's another story....

  9. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "J. Slater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Are there sites that sell Jamis bikes direct?
    >
    > Any body care to voice their opinions on which of the two are the better bike for the cash?
    >
    > I'm in the Austin area and I don't really care for the Buck's Bikes people. Anyone else that is
    > good to deal with?

    The Enduro is much more bike for the money. Austin, where??? There are Austins in many places.

    JD

  10. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    > "J. Slater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Are there sites that sell Jamis bikes direct?
    > >
    > > Any body care to voice their opinions on which of the two are the better bike for the cash?
    > >
    > > I'm in the Austin area and I don't really care for the Buck's Bikes
    people.
    > > Anyone else that is good to deal with?
    >
    > The Enduro is much more bike for the money. Austin, where??? There are Austins in many places.
    >
    > JD

    Really? I only know of Austin, TX.. maybe I need to get out more? What other Austins are there?

  11. Sultan

    Sultan Guest

    TacomaBoy asks:

    > What other Austins are there?

    A quick search revelas there are towns called Austin in:

    Minnesota Manitoba Colorado Indiana Kentucky Mississippi Nevada New Yoick North Carolina Ohio
    Tennessee Arkansas Montana Oregon Utah

    to name a few (I'm sure there are more......)

    HTH

    Steve - no, not Steve Austin ;-P

  12. Try University Cyclery. They sell Jamis.

    J. Slater wrote:

    >Are there sites that sell Jamis bikes direct?
    >
    >Any body care to voice their opinions on which of the two are the better bike for the cash?
    >
    >I'm in the Austin area and I don't really care for the Buck's Bikes people. Anyone else that is
    >good to deal with?
    >
    >Thanks.

  13. Jd

    Jd Guest

    From: "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike Subject: Re: What
    To Buy? Jamis XLT, Specialized Enduro, nothing? Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 11:31:48 -0500

    > Really? I only know of Austin, TX.. maybe I need to get out more? What other Austins are there?

    I live close to Austin, Colorado, have been through Austin, North Carolina, but grew up in the only
    "Cypress", which is in California.

    JD in Redlands, CO, not CA

  14. Dick

    Dick Guest

    Stephen Baker wrote:

    > TacomaBoy asks:
    >

    >>What other Austins are there?
    >

    > A quick search revelas there are towns called Austin in:
    >
    > Minnesota Manitoba Colorado Indiana Kentucky Mississippi Nevada New Yoick North Carolina Ohio
    > Tennessee Arkansas Montana Oregon Utah
    >
    > to name a few (I'm sure there are more......)
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Steve - no, not Steve Austin ;-P

    I once heard that there is one city name that exists in all the states but I can never recall
    what it is.

  15. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    "Dick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Stephen Baker wrote:
    >
    > > TacomaBoy asks:
    > >

    > >>What other Austins are there?
    > >

    > > A quick search revelas there are towns called Austin in:
    > >
    > > Minnesota Manitoba Colorado Indiana Kentucky Mississippi Nevada New Yoick North Carolina Ohio
    > > Tennessee Arkansas Montana Oregon Utah
    > >
    > > to name a few (I'm sure there are more......)
    > >
    > > HTH
    > >
    > > Steve - no, not Steve Austin ;-P
    >
    > I once heard that there is one city name that exists in all the states but I can never recall
    > what it is.

    Springfield? :D Maybe thats why teh Simpsons use it.. not sure though.

  16. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    "Sultan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >>Really? I only know of Austin, TX.. maybe I need to get out more? What
    > other Austins are there?<<
    >
    > Austin,Nevada Austin,PA Austin,IN Austin, MN Austin,CO Austin,AZ
    >
    > Sultan

    Wow, sad I never heard of any of em... are they towns or cities? Do you just know geography really
    well or did you have to research. I never doubted there were more Austins, just never heard em
    referred to.. except maybe the one in PA...

  17. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Dick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Stephen Baker wrote:
    > >
    > > > TacomaBoy asks:

    > > > A quick search revelas there are towns called Austin in:
    > > >
    > > > Minnesota Manitoba Colorado Indiana Kentucky Mississippi Nevada New Yoick North Carolina Ohio
    > > > Tennessee Arkansas Montana Oregon Utah
    > > >
    > > > to name a few (I'm sure there are more......)
    > > >
    > > > HTH
    > > >
    > > > Steve - no, not Steve Austin ;-P
    > >
    > > I once heard that there is one city name that exists in all the states but I can never recall
    > > what it is.
    > >

    > Springfield? :D Maybe thats why teh Simpsons use it.. not sure though.

    24 states, but yeah, thats the one people say is in every state.

    http://www.weather.com/search/search?where=springfield&what=WeatherLocalUndeclared&lswe=springfield-
    &lswa=WeatherLocalUndeclared&whatprefs=

    Jon Bond

  18. Dick

    Dick Guest

    Jon Bond wrote:

    > "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>"Dick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...

    >>>I once heard that there is one city name that exists in all the states but I can never recall
    >>>what it is.
    >>>

    >>Springfield? :D Maybe thats why teh Simpsons use it.. not sure though.
    >

    > 24 states, but yeah, thats the one people say is in every state.
    >
    > http://www.weather.com/search/search?where=springfield&what=WeatherLocalUndeclared&lswe=springfie-
    > ld&lswa=WeatherLocalUndeclared&whatprefs=
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Ok, supposedly Fairview is the most common name though weather.com does not agree.
    Weatherunderground.com puts the two neck & neck. Also, it appears as though Matt Groening did choose
    springfield because of it's commonness. There are quite a few dicussions between simpson geeks out
    there about which springfield is springfield.

  19. On 19 May 2003 11:14:27 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

    >From: "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike Subject: Re: What
    >To Buy? Jamis XLT, Specialized Enduro, nothing? Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 11:31:48 -0500
    >
    >> Really? I only know of Austin, TX.. maybe I need to get out more? What other Austins are there?
    >
    >I live close to Austin, Colorado, have been through Austin, North Carolina, but grew up in the only
    >"Cypress", which is in California.

    ...and Austin, NV on the Loneliest Highway in the US.

    They even have mountain biking there, although I've never stopped for anything other than their
    really expensive gas.

    http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/austin_gas.jpg (not expensive by today's standards but expensive a few
    year's ago)

    http://www.scs.unr.edu/~sulli_t/ponyexp.html

    http://www.mountainsage.org/biking.htm

  20. Jd

    Jd Guest

    P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 19 May 2003 11:14:27 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:
    >
    > >From: "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike Subject: Re:
    > >What To Buy? Jamis XLT, Specialized Enduro, nothing? Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 11:31:48 -0500
    > >
    > >> Really? I only know of Austin, TX.. maybe I need to get out more? What other Austins are there?
    > >
    > >I live close to Austin, Colorado, have been through Austin, North Carolina, but grew up in the
    > >only "Cypress", which is in California.
    >
    > ...and Austin, NV on the Loneliest Highway in the US.

    DOH! I knew there was at least one more I had passed through. I've been through many times, but have
    yet to ride there. You can see their "DH" course right from Hwy 50, it looks kinda sucky. If they
    have something stashed in the pinyon/juniper forest above town, I can probably see some good
    Fruitian style trails back in there.

    JD