What to Buy: Newer Trek, or Vintage Colagno??

Lindenin

Jun 2, 2006
I have been a mountain biker for several years, but am making my first foray into the world of roadbikes. I am doing this partly because I am starting to do sprint triathlons and need the road bike functionality for it.

My dilemma is this. For the same price, I can get a 5-year old Trek 2000, which probably has modern components and relatively modern angles. Or, I can get a more "vintage" Colagno road bike, with a bunch of Campi components. I estimate that Colgano to be from the late 70's, but not sure.

So tell me, experts, what do I do? Shave a few seconds off my triathlon time with the Trek, or ride an older but higher-end brand in the Colagno???

Thanks!!!

Lindenin said:
I have been a mountain biker for several years, but am making my first foray into the world of roadbikes. I am doing this partly because I am starting to do sprint triathlons and need the road bike functionality for it.

My dilemma is this. For the same price, I can get a 5-year old Trek 2000, which probably has modern components and relatively modern angles. Or, I can get a more "vintage" Colagno road bike, with a bunch of Campi components. I estimate that Colgano to be from the late 70's, but not sure.

So tell me, experts, what do I do? Shave a few seconds off my triathlon time with the Trek, or ride an older but higher-end brand in the Colagno???

Thanks!!!
If you have to ask, then you're probably not fully enthralled with the Trek ...

If the frames are in comparable cosmetic condition AND both are the proper size for you, then I would opt for the Colnago ... with only minimal reservation (since I haven't seen it).

The Colnago's rear triangle can be re-spaced to 130mm AND you can easily change the components to update it with the contemporary components of your choice.

Changing the original, Colnago fork for almost ANY carbon fiber fork will knock a pound off the bike ... a carbon fiber fork with a carbon fiber steerer will reduce the weight further as will an alloy (e.g., Campagnolo threadless, Cane Creek, Chris King, etc.) headset.

Bring a tape measure with you ... the Colnago will more-than-likely have a shorter top tube than the Trek if they have the same size seat tubes.

Ok, I'm no expert, so clue me in here:

a) surely a 1970s Colagno is a substantially heavier bike - as it's almost certainly a steel frame, right?

b) if components haven't been significantly improved since the 1970s, even on lower end road bikes, then why do people spend endless hours debating the pros and cons of every new offering from the manufacturers?

Am I missing something?

Buy them both.... the trek ( I have 2 a new 5000 and an old 2100 i converted to a single speed commuter.. love em both) for riding in tri's and the colnago for it's (assuming ) beauty. I wouldnt update any of the componants especially if they are vintage campy..... sounds like a sweet bike to keep amd restore.. thats just me tho

dougadam said:
All metal fatigues in time. I would go with the newer bike.
Don't listen to this guy, he isn't the real Doulas Adams and that's not his picture in the avatar! The real Douglas Adams loves steel! So does the fictional character whose picture he is using falsely as his own, yoda prefers steel! The colnago is the obvious choice!