What to buy? Speedplay zeros or Shimano 600's?

Originally posted by TBennett
Need pedal advice

both good but shimanos are now 140, pretty sure they used to be a lil cheaper

i prefer the speedplay x series simpler lighter and cheaper

Originally posted by fushman
both good but shimanos are now 140, pretty sure they used to be a lil cheaper

i prefer the speedplay x series simpler lighter and cheaper

... but awfully tough to walk in, and actually no ligher when you add the cleat and pedal together. Want light, functional and cheap? Take a look at Performance Bike's house brang magnesium classics. For $75 or so, you get a pedal that's 50g lighter than my $300 Look carbon/ti pedals (ack!), with more cornering clearance, and the same surface area. I have the even cheaper aluminum version on one bike -- an expensive bike... a Colnago C40 -- and they work just fine. I'll never unload heavy cash on pedals again.

Originally posted by Aztec
... but awfully tough to walk in, and actually no ligher when you add the cleat and pedal together.
Actually, the Speedplays are still a touch lighter than the 600s, but with dual-sided entry and free float -- a pair of huge pluses no Shimano road pedal, let alone a Performance pedal, offers.

... but awfully tough to walk in, and actually no ligher when you add the cleat and pedal together. Want light, functional and cheap? Take a look at Performance Bike's house brang magnesium classics. For $75 or so, you get a pedal that's 50g lighter than my $300 Look carbon/ti pedals (ack!), with more cornering clearance, and the same surface area. I have the even cheaper aluminum version on one bike -- an expensive bike... a Colnago C40 -- and they work just fine. I'll never unload heavy cash on pedals again.

The cleat's aren't really as heavy as they look. There is that giant hole in the center for the pedal to fit in.
220g Speedplay Zero Chromoly
105g 3 hole mounted cleat
-or-
64g 4 hole mounted cleat

304g PD-R600
68g cleats+hardware

So 325g or 284g for the Speedplays and 372g for the Shimano's. 47g or 88g difference depending on the cleat mounting you use. And if you wan't to get really crazy, you can opt for the titanium zero's (164g) and further tune them with BTP aluminum plates on the pedals to save 24g (140g pedals). So, then you're looking at 245g or 204g pedals + cleats. But that's really only if you want to achieve a really light pedal and spend a lot.

Yup. Or get the $75 250g cheapies that work fine (save for the dual-sided entry).

Lokstah, they do have float.

i'm pretty sure that Shimano 600 was replaced by Ultegra back in about 1988 or 1990.. but since we are talking about that era, check out the Suntour Superbe Pro

Lokstah, they do have float.
I didn't say they didn't -- I said they couldn't boast Speedplay's golden duo of great float and dual-sided entry. Besides, nearly every major pedal on the market offers float in some capacity. To Speedplay devotees, though, what Shimano, Look and others call float is criminal compared to what Speedplay X pedals, or even Zeros, offer.

To me, the low weight is frosting -- tasty and attractive, but not the reason I eat the cake. I use Speedplay because I hate the comparatively stiff, limited float of other systems. The dual-sided entry is a jam-filling, or perhaps a rum custard layer. Very nice.

I just recently switched from a pair of old Shimano Ultegra 600 Look style pedals to a pair of Speedplay Zeros. The best thing about the Speedplay's is the dual sided entry. It's great to be able to take off and just mash the foot on the pedal without having to look down and align the cleat to the pedal.

They weren't that expensive either. I picked up the cro-moly version at Performance with a 20% coupon for around 140.

tailwinds...

Michael

Originally posted by madmike
They weren't that expensive either. I picked up the cro-moly version at Performance with a 20% coupon for around 140.
And on top of that, many folks (myself included, secretly) still contend that the X-series clip and float has a slightly silkier action than the Zeros -- and if you're not concerned with breaking low-weight records, you can buy X3s for regular prices around $90.

There's a pretty wide range of prices from Speedplay, but in the end, the company only offers 2 clip/float mechanisms (X, and Zero) -- so even the cheapest pedal offers the chief benefits of the costliest.

Originally posted by lokstah
And on top of that, many folks (myself included, secretly) still contend that the X-series clip and float has a slightly silkier action than the Zeros -- and if you're not concerned with breaking low-weight records, you can buy X3s for regular prices around $90.

I thought about the X3s but I wasn't sure I'd be able the full 30 degrees of float so I went with the adjustable Zeros.

tailwinds...

Michael

Originally posted by madmike
I thought about the X3s but I wasn't sure I'd be able the full 30 degrees of float so I went with the adjustable Zeros.

tailwinds...

Michael
Zeros do rock. Got to admit, though; I occasionally miss the Xs. The only thing better than Zero float is X float.

Maybe I'll try Beebops some day. I'm kind of a Speedplay loyalist, though. How does the total platform size feel to you, Stevek? Looks small. Any issues?

Although they are not double sided entry, take a look at campagnolo pro-fits (whatever you can afford, I would suggest Chorus).

Everyone who uses them loves 'em.

Well folks thanks fpr all the input on the cleats. I swiched from Specialized shoes and Zero cleats to SIDI shoes and the Shimano 600's.Rode them today and the shoes of course were great and the 600's seemed to offer a better platform. Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.
Tony