What to do about SADDLE SORES?!!!

Bigbananabike

Dec 29, 2004
Hi. I've got a dose of what seems to be my worse lot of barnicles on the bum ever. I'm still riding but there is a bit of pain(especially when riding alone when there isn't much else to think about:rolleyes: ).
What would help them heal - aside from not riding?
Would chamois cream(never used it) help or help them not to develop?
Any advice welcomed :) Paul

Bigbananabike said:
Hi. I've got a dose of what seems to be my worse lot of barnicles on the bum ever. I'm still riding but there is a bit of pain(especially when riding alone when there isn't much else to think about:rolleyes: ).
Creams are always good, but I have to say that the best way (for me at least) to prevent and heal saddle sores is to use stockings for women. You know the kind of very thin, very stretchy thing they use.

I cut it so that it doesn't show :)eek: ) underneath my shorts.

It gives you a comfortable layer between the cycling shorts and your skin. Don't know if it will work for you, but it has done wonders for me.

_________
CycleFast

Bigbananabike said:
I've had some pretty nasty saddle sores over the years. What works for me to heal them - while still being able to ride - is to put a layer of Calmoseptine on and around the saddle sore, then cover it with a layer of Vaseline or Bag Balm. I found that it heals faster and doesn't get any worse while still riding.

To prevent saddle sores, I use Bag Balm - and I make absolutely certain my shorts are cleaned after every ride.

pimple cream -- just keep it away from your balls and your cake-hole. :p

A couple of times mine have been so bad that I sat my **** in a shallow tub of hot, very salty water. Salt kills EVERYTHING.

triple anti-biotic ointment cream, the stuff you put on cuts. speeds healing a lot

I fiddled around a bit last year with various creams and ointments until I hit the jackpot: BAG BALM.

Even then they persisted a bit. I'm glad to see a couple of new tips here that I will try. Calmoseptine and women's stockings eh?

Everything's worth a try.

Bigbananabike said:
Last year I had saddle sores that lasted 6 months and never seemed to heal. I think the only thing that really helped was never getting them in the first place. I had to change my saddle to make things better and haven't thought about saddle sores since. Zinc Oxide may help your skin heal faster but won't protect anything while riding. Apply it after a post ride shower.

Bigbananabike said:
I have found that Tea-tree oil helps.

Also, ensure you are washing yourself with an antibiotic soap. Not necessarily the expensive stuff. I found something at the local grocery store labelled "antibiotic" and within a couple of days my bum was clear. Best part of it was that soap was only about a buck a bar.

I've been using antibacterial wipes, "Wet Ones" brand
here in the US, before every ride, along with
clean, clean, clean shorts and I haven't had any problems
in 2 years. I don't use chamois cream; nothing.

mercier1 said:
I've been using antibacterial wipes, "Wet Ones" brand
here in the US, before every ride, along with
clean, clean, clean shorts and I haven't had any problems
in 2 years. I don't use chamois cream; nothing.
Hey everyone, thanks for the good advice. I've just been trying the Vasoline as suggested above. I knew where it was in the medicine cupboard so went for it. Certainly helping though a bit stingy when first applied.
Nice to get some sort of barrier between the chamois and me :) Paul

Bigbananabike said:
I read somewhere that bacteria is the main culprit with saddle sores so I generally use an anti-septic cream followed by a band-aid over-night (I recommend shaving the area first to avoid tears). Clears up pretty quick.

Assos cream (anti-bacterial) is good but expensive to use all the time.

prevention, prevention, prevention... kill the bacteria and minimize chafing... chafing + bacteria = saddle sores. even just bacteria will cause it too since you are constantly pulling on your hairs and is the bacteria is around can lead to infection and saddle sores too.

Rules:

-NEVER, NEVER, NEVER... i repeat NEVER wear a pair of shorts twice without washing them... i take my shorts into the shower with me and wash them in the shower

-take your shorts off and bath right when you get home i.e. don't sit in your shorts for long periods of time after your ride

-clean and disinfect your nether regions before and after rides... baby wipes probably work but a paper towel and alcohol work just as good and are a lot cheaper... plus soap and water in the shower

-good saddle that is properly angled and positioned fore aft to reduce chafing

if you end up with a big bubble.. time to operate... clean the area and a pin with alcohol and lance that baby... squeeze out the half gallon of goo... you'll be surprised how much stuff can be cramed into such a small space... get as much out as you can. alcohol again and bandaid with polysporin. shaving the area first is a good idea and using those round bandaids so it stays on better is a good idea too. leave the bandaid on for a few days and it should go down quite a bit even by the next day. take the day after the lancing off the bike too give it time to go down and heal. if if starts to get bigger again lance again.

if you are prone to these then you need to keep an eye on you nether regions disinfect before and after rides and if you feel something starting disinfect that area several times a day and i garantee you won't get saddle sore... i haven't had a saddle sore in over a year and i used to get them really bad.