What to do if a saddle rail breaks?

bianchi10

Oct 28, 2009
I was just thinking abou this last night. What can you do if you have a rail break on you while riding and you are far from home? I know it has happened to people out there and I wanted to know if there was anything to "quick fix" it to get back home?

That's a good question. The saddle should still be mostly in place with the other rail (I'm guessing all saddles have a rail on either side), so one could just sit on it and be gentle. To actually "fix" it though, I would use duct tape, that's the only thing in my seat bag that could help. I don't carry a torch and gas.

I have a friend who had a seatpost break during a race and had an extended "out of the saddle" ride to the finish.

frenchyge said:
I have a friend who had a seatpost break during a race and had an extended "out of the saddle" ride to the finish.

That's a trooper move right there!!

I'd try shoving my extra tube out of the saddle bag there. Jam it in hoping it evens out left/right. Basically wedge it under the top of the post head and the bottom of the saddle. Band aid fix till you get home. Maybe???

I think someone is just going to have to break a rail on purpose and try to fix it. Not it!:D

Hey there, I don't have an answer for you question but maybe you have one for mine or atleast some advice. I am going off your username. I am looking to get a bianchi pista and I found one that is a new model and black. It wasn't suppose to come out not until fall, but they sold out of via brera and condotti and they call this a filler. It is beautiful and they are selling it for $729. They said Bianchi did not make enough for the summer so they released this one to them. Does this sound possible?

Finish your water and put the water bottle over the seat post.It may not be great but it might get you get you home if it's not too far.

CdnRider said:
I'd try shoving my extra tube out of the saddle bag there. Jam it in hoping it evens out left/right. Basically wedge it under the top of the post head and the bottom of the saddle. Band aid fix till you get home. Maybe???

That's a pretty good idea!