what to do to start exercise program

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Jan 26, 2006.

  1. have only 10 to 20 lbs left to lose. What kinda exercise program would
    you start. Should one lift weights to lose weight?? Cardio would 3
    times a week for 30 mins be a good start.

    Tags:

  2. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    :: have only 10 to 20 lbs left to lose. What kinda exercise program
    :: would you start.

    ::Should one lift weights to lose weight??

    Absolutely.

    :: Cardio would 3 times a week for 30 mins be a good start.

    Yes. Don't be in too much of a hurry though. Try to preserve as much
    muscle as you can.

  3. A Ross

    A Ross Guest

  4. Bill Eitner

    Bill Eitner Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > have only 10 to 20 lbs left to lose. What kinda exercise program would
    > you start. Should one lift weights to lose weight??

    No, one should lift weights to spare muscle
    while losing fat.

    If you haven't been lifting all during your
    weight loss, which you should have been,
    you should start now. And don't be surprised
    if your weight loss slows because the lifting,
    along with a nice low-carb diet that supplies
    adequate protein, will slow or stop any muscle
    loss.

    Thank God (or Atkins) for low-carb diets which
    tend to spare muscle even in the absence of
    weight training.

    > Cardio would 3
    > times a week for 30 mins be a good start.

    Yes. That's another thing you should have been
    doing all along.

    Weights twice a week, and cardio three times
    a week is fine as far as frequency is concerned.
    What's even more important is intensity of effort.
    Start off with exercise that you're easily capable
    of completing. Then, as your confidence in your
    body grows, don't be afraid to make the exercise
    challenging. This applies to women just as much
    as men, and to cardio as well as resistance work.

    When it comes to weight training be sure to include
    the key multi-joint exercises (bench press, deadlift,
    squat, row and overhead press). Use weights that
    make 8-12 repetitions challenging. Don't overdo
    the volume (number of sets or exercises). Volume
    is a poor replacement for intensity of effort.
    Train slowly; 2 seconds to lift the weight and 4
    seconds to lower it. Train less but train harder.
    An effective weight workout might only have you under
    load (where you are actually supporting and moving the
    weight) for 3-6 minutes (ten six second repetitions
    requires one minute of time). The weight is heavy,
    the work is hard, and the rest between sets is long.
    Including rest between sets, the entire workout may take
    30 minutes, but you were under load for 10-20 percent
    of the time.

    The above is a proven formula that applies to genetically
    typical people (the vast majority). It's especially useful
    to those who are employing a low-carb diet. In other words,
    those who don't have a lot of stored glucose to power them
    through higher volume workouts (which are, in reality, less
    effective anyway).

    I hope this helps.
    --

  5. Bill Eitner

    Bill Eitner Guest

    I agree with the advice here--especially Krista's
    site.
    --
    A Ross wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> have only 10 to 20 lbs left to lose. What kinda exercise program would
    >> you start. Should one lift weights to lose weight?? Cardio would 3
    >> times a week for 30 mins be a good start.

    > Start here:
    >
    > http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php
    >
    > http://www.exrx.net
    >
    > Both sites offer a lot of good exercise (and at Krista's site, nutrition
    > and motivation) advice.
    >
    > Amy

  6. thank you all for the advise!!!! I really appreciate it! Marilyn

  7. Pat in TX

    Pat in TX Guest

    Marilyn, what appeals to you? Would you like to get on a bicycle? How about
    water aerobics or just walking in a pool? or Swimming? A lot of people start
    with a walking program. I bought two walking poles and pretended I was
    Nordic Skiing when I started walking (besides, they make good weapons for
    unruly dogs).

    My point is that you need to do something that you like to do. If I told you
    to jump rope and you didn't like that, it would be drudgery every single
    minute! Some people like to sit in a rowing machine and row and others like
    a treadmill. There are endless possibilities out there, but be sure that it
    is something you think you'd like to do!

    Good luck!

    Pat in TX

  8. Pat in TX

    Pat in TX Guest

    Marilyn, what appeals to you? Would you like to get on a bicycle? How about
    water aerobics or just walking in a pool? or Swimming? A lot of people start
    with a walking program. I bought two walking poles and pretended I was
    Nordic Skiing when I started walking (besides, they make good weapons for
    unruly dogs).

    My point is that you need to do something that you like to do. If I told you
    to jump rope and you didn't like that, it would be drudgery every single
    minute! Some people like to sit in a rowing machine and row and others like
    a treadmill. There are endless possibilities out there, but be sure that it
    is something you think you'd like to do!

    Good luck!

    Pat in TX

  9. Marengo

    Marengo Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    [email protected] wrote:
    || have only 10 to 20 lbs left to lose. What kinda exercise program
    || would you start. Should one lift weights to lose weight?? Cardio
    || would 3 times a week for 30 mins be a good start.

    Consult with a doctor before beginning any exercise program, especially
    after being overweight and sedentary.
    Please don't take the exercise advice of anonymous voices on the internet --
    albeit well-meaning --who know nothing about your age, physical condition or
    possible health concerns.