What to do - wheels, frame, components?

nwacyclist

Mar 1, 2008
I've recently purchased my first "real" road bike - a used 60cm Trek 2000 SL with carbon fork, carbon post, Ritchie stem, Mavic Krysium Elite wheels, Ultegra crankset, and 105 components (shifters, brakes, derailuers). It has some LOOK pedals and I have a pair of Nike bike shoes that the guy who sold it to me threw in for free (we happened to be nearly identical in dimensions, including shoe sizes!). I paid $700 for the whole package.

I currently ride about 25 miles per venture, then run 6.5 miles afterward (working toward doing my first triathlon sprint race in June). I'm 6'4" and 230lbs, hoping to drop down to around 205-210.

If you had some money burning a hole in your pocket, would you:

a) upgrade the wheels
b) upgrade the frame/fork
c) upgrade components

I'm not a racer by any means - just using the bike for fitness, fun, and a triathlon that I'll be happy to finish. I'm not trying to win it or even place well - just want to see if I can "do it."

So, any suggestions? I currently ride about 100 miles per week.

Oh, also - any idea why the outside edges of my feet hurt (like crazy) after each ride? It's so painful that I can barely walk, let alone run on them. After about 10 minutes of running, though, my feet feel ok, but they continue to hurt the rest of the day/night. Am I possibly pedaling wrong - like putting too much weight on the outsides of my feet?

I'd go for a nice 'bling' Dura-Ace group-set, or save for a whole new bike.

thumb.gif

Save your cash. Ya got a decent ride for your purpose. If you absolutely had to spend money, I'd go with wheels. That way you can easily transfer them to another ride at a later date.

You probably need to tweak your cleat placement to get a more comfortable foot position.

capwater said:
Save your cash.
I concur. In fact, if you insist on buying something, I recommend treating your rims to a new pair of lightweight tires and tubes. With colored sidewalls. And put on some fresh handlebar tape. I recommend Cinelli macro-splash. Lift your morale without lightening your wallet.

Regarding your feet, after verifying that your shoes fit you properly, you might want to loosen your arch straps a bit. Heel lift is not a problem with cycling shoes because pedaling doesn't cause the foot to flex as in running and walking, so the most secure attachment of your foot to the shoe should be over the cleat. If the problem persists it might be due to bad lateral alignment, especially if your feet tend to supinate. Look into Lemond Wedges, shims that bolt between shoe and cleat, or custom insoles.

nwacyclist said:
I've recently purchased my first "real" road bike - a used 60cm Trek 2000 SL with carbon fork, carbon post, Ritchie stem, Mavic Krysium Elite wheels, Ultegra crankset, and 105 components (shifters, brakes, derailuers). It has some LOOK pedals and I have a pair of Nike bike shoes that the guy who sold it to me threw in for free (we happened to be nearly identical in dimensions, including shoe sizes!). I paid $700 for the whole package.

I currently ride about 25 miles per venture, then run 6.5 miles afterward (working toward doing my first triathlon sprint race in June). I'm 6'4" and 230lbs, hoping to drop down to around 205-210.

If you had some money burning a hole in your pocket, would you:

a) upgrade the wheels
b) upgrade the frame/fork
c) upgrade components

I'm not a racer by any means - just using the bike for fitness, fun, and a triathlon that I'll be happy to finish. I'm not trying to win it or even place well - just want to see if I can "do it."

So, any suggestions? I currently ride about 100 miles per week.

Oh, also - any idea why the outside edges of my feet hurt (like crazy) after each ride? It's so painful that I can barely walk, let alone run on them. After about 10 minutes of running, though, my feet feel ok, but they continue to hurt the rest of the day/night. Am I possibly pedaling wrong - like putting too much weight on the outsides of my feet?

See immediately above. Iif you have 'money burning a hole in your pocket', spend it on a bike fit or a coach or a good massage therapist. Your bike is fine as is. The only way a piece of bike equipment will have a significant effect on ride performance is if it fails.