What to do when your Mates are Heathens.....

Fixey

Mar 9, 2004
I aquired a bottle of Glenfidich, 30 year old single malt. I had some Rugby mates over and pulled out this brew, the pride and joy of my bar. Can you imagine my shock when I saw two of them reach for the Coke bottle to "mix" with the Whiskey? I was absolutly bloody mortifed.

Fixey said:
I aquired a bottle of Glenfidich, 30 year old single malt. I had some Rugby mates over and pulled out this brew, the pride and joy of my bar. Can you imagine my shock when I saw two of them reach for the Coke bottle to "mix" with the Whiskey? I was absolutly bloody mortifed.
Crazy stuff...

my grandfather, an Irishman, was a publican for many years after leaving the Navy after the war, and still likes a drop of whiskey (or whisky if your referring to Scotch).

When asked if he likes some water in his whisky he replies, 'away, its already made with water, why add more?

i have to admit, i like it the way it comes, Single Highland malts and Skye, Islay etc. as well as a few Irish malts and blends and i am partial to the odd Wild Turkey, Jim Beam etc. too.

lovely...

MountainPro said:
Crazy stuff...

my grandfather, an Irishman, was a publican for many years after leaving the Navy after the war, and still likes a drop of whiskey (or whisky if your referring to Scotch).

When asked if he likes some water in his whisky he replies, 'away, its already made with water, why add more?

i have to admit, i like it the way it comes, Single Highland malts and Skye, Islay etc. as well as a few Irish malts and blends and i am partial to the odd Wild Turkey, Jim Beam etc. too.

lovely...

Ah, a very discriminating drinker I see, I've never met a whisky I didn't like either.

And Fixey, there's only one thing to do with people who mix single malt with Coke, get a rope and find the nearest tree :)

MountainPro said:
Crazy stuff...

lovely...
I know taste is a personal issue, but I do find that all whiskies from the Western Isles are rather too 'peaty' for my palate. And as for dishing out 30 yo single malt to a bunch of thugs, I can only say one thing "You're Stark Raving Bonkers".

FredC said:
I know taste is a personal issue, but I do find that all whiskies from the Western Isles are rather too 'peaty' for my palate.
The Islay malts are indeed an aquired taste...the first time i tried The Ardbeg i thought it was vile....it is only for the more sophisticated palate.

MountainPro said:
The Islay malts are indeed an aquired taste...the first time i tried The Ardbeg i thought it was vile....it is only for the more sophisticated palate.
I'll do the next bit for you........Sassenach heathens.
I want you to work on a nitrogen pressurised sauce dispenser with a solenoid timed ejection nozzle. The sauce container would probably be made of polycarbonate and disposable. Wednesday will do just fine.

Fixey said:

1. have you found any one in your local area who is competent to help with the disposal of the corpses of your "mates"?

2. What the frig were you thinking pouring the likes of a 30 yr old single malt for a bunch of rugby mutton heads in the first place?

3. If the answer to 1) is negative and you still have a pile of mutilated corpses littering up your crib- please get in touch off list and I'll assist by flying where ever and helping you sort that bit of mess out

4. Please make note that me and the rest of the single-malt abusers disposal brigade will be giving you a rap over the head and shoulders to help you with point 2.

Cheers,

Fixey said:

The humanity. 30 year old, no less. If these two are still alive, it would be prudent to start them off on more economical spirits. Irish creme is well tolerated by ladies and is quite reasonable. Then switch them over to straight Irish whiskey, nothing too fancy and not necessarily a single malt.

The test I use is name dropping. If they cannot name one title written by Michael Jackson, or if on question, they assume you mean the singer/songwriter/dancer/freak from the States, it would be best you serve these chaps a pint of stout or a bitter. Save the spirits for those in the know.

FredC said:
I want you to work on a nitrogen pressurised sauce dispenser with a solenoid timed ejection nozzle. The sauce container would probably be made of polycarbonate and disposable. Wednesday will do just fine.
yikes...its my old boss...

i thought i had killed you..

Fixey said:

That's why I do not keep cola products in my house. Would you leave a loaded 9mm with an 8 year old?

Fixey said:
Two words- Naiveté' &/or Sacrilege :eek:

FredC said:
You are quite the "task-master" !!!

Can you imagine my shock when I saw two of them reach for the Coke bottle to .[/QUOTE]

What are you doing with coke in the house?

MountainPro said:
What do you think of 10yo Laphroaigh Single Malt? I checked out Ardbeg, not sure about the recent chequered history. Is it for Rab C and Jamesie Cotter? What a fantastic programme.

FredC said:

erm...what?

jhuskey said:
That's why I do not keep cola products in my house. Would you leave a loaded 9mm with an 8 year old?
If you think that CC is full of caffeine. We have a caffeine loaded soft drink called Red Bull that cannot be sold to persons under the age 16 !

Gilders said:
erm...what?
I remember a luney from Carlisle who posted as though he had water on the brain, and no sense of humour, no doubt caused by living there. The people of the Lakes are different altogether. Now don't tell me that there are Electronic Genius's in the Skelwith Bridge pub. This will, if it comes to fruition, allow the catering trade to dispense large quantities of sauce from breakfastime to suppertime without incurring extra staffing cost, and allow the Wankees (sic) to imbibe ketchup on everything. Just think of the benefits. The Wankees will go home and tell everybody that they can have the stuff at afternoon tea in Ambleside.

FredC said:
What do you think of 10yo Laphroaigh Single Malt? I checked out Ardbeg, not sure about the recent chequered history. Is it for Rab C and Jamesie Cotter? What a fantastic programme.
My god, they havent made Rab C Nesbit on over 10 years...it was class though...it is true that it has subtitles in England when it eventually went nationwide?

Laphroaigh...you can spell it but can you pronounce it? It helps if youre bladdered. An Islay peaty malt that is much more accessible than the Ardbeg.

I prefer the Highland varieties.

MountainPro said:
My god, they havent made Rab C Nesbit on over 10 years...it was class though...it is true that it has subtitles in England when it eventually went nationwide?

Laphroaigh...you can spell it but can you pronounce it? It helps if youre bladdered. An Islay peaty malt that is much more accessible than the Ardbeg.

I prefer the Highland varieties.
A great production, and fantastically written. There was always a moral to each episode. It didn't have sub-titles here, but I could understand it. Many people couldn't understand words like malky, and many others. It was watched, because visually it was superb. I'd watch it all over again, as I would 'The League of Gentlemen'.
I think phoenetically it's ' Laffraig'. Ardbeg is an Islay whisky, is it not?
Bladdered? Just say 'Anusher pleesh.'

Fixey said:
That's when you find an empty bottle of Glenfidich, fill it up with "the cheap stuff" and let them drink that because apparently they may never be able to tell the difference between the two. ;)