What to do with all this produce

maxine in ri

Guest
Went into the store fora couple of things that were on sale, but the
bright clean colors on the quick sale rack drew me over there as well.
They had great big red peppers, 7 for 2.58 (wrapped together),
tomatoes, and strawberries for 1.29 each. The other stuff didn't look
too hot.

The tomatoes have been roasted and are cooling now, to be joyfully
consumed.

Two of the peppers were salad quality. The rest I roasted, peeled and
have in storage, and have two questions:

1: How do you get the seeds separated from the flesh? The stem took
out most of them, but there are some still in there, and I know the
ones you buy in the store don't have that.

2: Some suggestions on what to do with those lovely, tasty roasted red
peppers and their juice?

The strawberries were a disappointment. I looked all over the box,
and they didn't look bad atall. No smushed or fuzzy ones. Took off
the wrapper that they put on all the quicksale produce, and several of
them were fuzzy, so I had to sort through the whole pound and cut out
the bad parts. Sprinkled them with ginger powder and vanilla sugar.
They'll go good with my morning oatmeal.

I can't complain too loudly, not after the peppers and tomatoes turned
out to be in such good condition.

maxine in ri

maxine in ri wrote:

> Two of the peppers were salad quality. The rest I roasted, peeled and
> have in storage, and have two questions:
>
> 1: How do you get the seeds separated from the flesh? The stem took
> out most of them, but there are some still in there, and I know the
> ones you buy in the store don't have that.

I always cut mine in strips and remove the seeds by hand, or by
scraping
with a knife. I really dislike the mouthfeel of the ribs, so I scrape
or cut
them off, too.

(Then I put them in some extra-virgin olive oil with some chopped
garlic and
refrigerate.)

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> maxine in ri wrote:
>
> > Two of the peppers were salad quality. The rest I roasted, peeled and
> > have in storage, and have two questions:
> >
> > 1: How do you get the seeds separated from the flesh? The stem took
> > out most of them, but there are some still in there, and I know the
> > ones you buy in the store don't have that.

> I always cut mine in strips and remove the seeds by hand, or by
> scraping
> with a knife. I really dislike the mouthfeel of the ribs, so I scrape
> or cut
> them off, too.

Rats! I was hoping someone had an easier method<g>.

> (Then I put them in some extra-virgin olive oil with some chopped
> garlic and
> refrigerate.)
>
> Cindy Hamilton

LOL! I'll add the garlic and oil, but I doubt my DH will let them last
long enough to refrigerate!

Thank you
maxine in ri

In article <[email protected]>,
maxine in ri <[email protected]> wrote:

> Went into the store fora couple of things that were on sale, but the
> bright clean colors on the quick sale rack drew me over there as well.
> They had great big red peppers, 7 for 2.58 (wrapped together),

> maxine in ri

LOL! Must be the season for imported cheap red bells - i saw for
$1.49/lb yesterday (they're usually ~$4/lb.) I'll buy a few, seed and
dice and freeze loose on cookie sheets, then bag and freeze for longer
storage. I've a bag of green and red diced in the freezer now.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 2-28-2006, Crazy Lady Party;

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> LOL! Must be the season for imported cheap red bells - i saw for
> $1.49/lb yesterday (they're usually ~$4/lb.) I'll buy a few, seed and
> dice and freeze loose on cookie sheets, then bag and freeze for longer
> storage. I've a bag of green and red diced in the freezer now.

I've always been lucky in that the military commissary sells them for
what I consider a reasonable price year round. Sometimes the red, yellow
and orange peppers are the same price as the green. We eat a LOT of
them, usually in fajitas. I love using the red ones for stuffed peppers
and roasted peppers. I just never bothered to freeze any.
I probably buy less of the green than any other color.

Has anyone seen the advertisement for the new "jarred" tomatoes from Del
Monte or tried them, the supposedly are good enough for fresh salads? I
can't imagine..? I wonder if they're packed in oil or something?
Goomba

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 22:25:47 -0500, maxine in ri wrote:

> 1: How do you get the seeds separated from the flesh? The stem took
> out most of them, but there are some still in there, and I know the
> ones you buy in the store don't have that.

scrape 'em out..with you hands, spoon, knife.. anything.

> 2: Some suggestions on what to do with those lovely, tasty roasted red
> peppers and their juice?

salt/pepper and marinate them in olive oil..just enjoy or make a
sandwich.

> The strawberries were a disappointment. I looked all over the box, and
> they didn't look bad atall. No smushed or fuzzy ones. Took off the
> wrapper that they put on all the quicksale produce, and several of them
> were fuzzy, so I had to sort through the whole pound and cut out the bad
> parts.

I hate fuzzy strawberries..If they are hairy I usually get
something else..but if I REALLY want strawberries and that is all that is
available, I take the time to make two boxes for them, a hairy one that I
leave for others and one without hair that I take with me. <G>

> maxine in ri

"maxine in ri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> 1: How do you get the seeds separated from the flesh? The stem took
> out most of them, but there are some still in there, and I know the
> ones you buy in the store don't have that.

Cut them in half and scrape with a paring knife. Do not rinse - it removes
flavor.

> 2: Some suggestions on what to do with those lovely, tasty roasted red
> peppers and their juice?

Do this with them:

http://www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm#Marinated roasted red peppers

Out of this world.