What to do with all this produce

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by maxine in ri, Mar 1, 2006.

  1. maxine in ri

    maxine in ri Guest

    Went into the store fora couple of things that were on sale, but the
    bright clean colors on the quick sale rack drew me over there as well.
    They had great big red peppers, 7 for 2.58 (wrapped together),
    tomatoes, and strawberries for 1.29 each. The other stuff didn't look
    too hot.

    The tomatoes have been roasted and are cooling now, to be joyfully
    consumed.

    Two of the peppers were salad quality. The rest I roasted, peeled and
    have in storage, and have two questions:

    1: How do you get the seeds separated from the flesh? The stem took
    out most of them, but there are some still in there, and I know the
    ones you buy in the store don't have that.

    2: Some suggestions on what to do with those lovely, tasty roasted red
    peppers and their juice?

    The strawberries were a disappointment. I looked all over the box,
    and they didn't look bad atall. No smushed or fuzzy ones. Took off
    the wrapper that they put on all the quicksale produce, and several of
    them were fuzzy, so I had to sort through the whole pound and cut out
    the bad parts. Sprinkled them with ginger powder and vanilla sugar.
    They'll go good with my morning oatmeal.

    I can't complain too loudly, not after the peppers and tomatoes turned
    out to be in such good condition.

    maxine in ri

    Tags:

  2. maxine in ri wrote:

    > Two of the peppers were salad quality. The rest I roasted, peeled and
    > have in storage, and have two questions:
    >
    > 1: How do you get the seeds separated from the flesh? The stem took
    > out most of them, but there are some still in there, and I know the
    > ones you buy in the store don't have that.

    I always cut mine in strips and remove the seeds by hand, or by
    scraping
    with a knife. I really dislike the mouthfeel of the ribs, so I scrape
    or cut
    them off, too.

    (Then I put them in some extra-virgin olive oil with some chopped
    garlic and
    refrigerate.)

    Cindy Hamilton

  3. maxine in ri

    maxine in ri Guest

    Cindy Hamilton wrote:
    > maxine in ri wrote:
    >
    > > Two of the peppers were salad quality. The rest I roasted, peeled and
    > > have in storage, and have two questions:
    > >
    > > 1: How do you get the seeds separated from the flesh? The stem took
    > > out most of them, but there are some still in there, and I know the
    > > ones you buy in the store don't have that.

    > I always cut mine in strips and remove the seeds by hand, or by
    > scraping
    > with a knife. I really dislike the mouthfeel of the ribs, so I scrape
    > or cut
    > them off, too.

    Rats! I was hoping someone had an easier method<g>.

    > (Then I put them in some extra-virgin olive oil with some chopped
    > garlic and
    > refrigerate.)
    >
    > Cindy Hamilton

    LOL! I'll add the garlic and oil, but I doubt my DH will let them last
    long enough to refrigerate!

    Thank you
    maxine in ri

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    maxine in ri <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Went into the store fora couple of things that were on sale, but the
    > bright clean colors on the quick sale rack drew me over there as well.
    > They had great big red peppers, 7 for 2.58 (wrapped together),

    > maxine in ri

    LOL! Must be the season for imported cheap red bells - i saw for
    $1.49/lb yesterday (they're usually ~$4/lb.) I'll buy a few, seed and
    dice and freeze loose on cookie sheets, then bag and freeze for longer
    storage. I've a bag of green and red diced in the freezer now.
    --
    -Barb
    <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 2-28-2006, Crazy Lady Party;

  5. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > LOL! Must be the season for imported cheap red bells - i saw for
    > $1.49/lb yesterday (they're usually ~$4/lb.) I'll buy a few, seed and
    > dice and freeze loose on cookie sheets, then bag and freeze for longer
    > storage. I've a bag of green and red diced in the freezer now.

    I've always been lucky in that the military commissary sells them for
    what I consider a reasonable price year round. Sometimes the red, yellow
    and orange peppers are the same price as the green. We eat a LOT of
    them, usually in fajitas. I love using the red ones for stuffed peppers
    and roasted peppers. I just never bothered to freeze any.
    I probably buy less of the green than any other color.

    Has anyone seen the advertisement for the new "jarred" tomatoes from Del
    Monte or tried them, the supposedly are good enough for fresh salads? I
    can't imagine..? I wonder if they're packed in oil or something?
    Goomba

  6. jay

    jay Guest

    On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 22:25:47 -0500, maxine in ri wrote:

    > 1: How do you get the seeds separated from the flesh? The stem took
    > out most of them, but there are some still in there, and I know the
    > ones you buy in the store don't have that.

    scrape 'em out..with you hands, spoon, knife.. anything.

    > 2: Some suggestions on what to do with those lovely, tasty roasted red
    > peppers and their juice?

    salt/pepper and marinate them in olive oil..just enjoy or make a
    sandwich.

    > The strawberries were a disappointment. I looked all over the box, and
    > they didn't look bad atall. No smushed or fuzzy ones. Took off the
    > wrapper that they put on all the quicksale produce, and several of them
    > were fuzzy, so I had to sort through the whole pound and cut out the bad
    > parts.

    I hate fuzzy strawberries..If they are hairy I usually get
    something else..but if I REALLY want strawberries and that is all that is
    available, I take the time to make two boxes for them, a hairy one that I
    leave for others and one without hair that I take with me. <G>

    > maxine in ri

  7. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "maxine in ri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > 1: How do you get the seeds separated from the flesh? The stem took
    > out most of them, but there are some still in there, and I know the
    > ones you buy in the store don't have that.

    Cut them in half and scrape with a paring knife. Do not rinse - it removes
    flavor.

    > 2: Some suggestions on what to do with those lovely, tasty roasted red
    > peppers and their juice?

    Do this with them:

    http://www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm#Marinated roasted red peppers

    Out of this world.