What to do with an old barn

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mark B, May 5, 2003.

  1. Mark B

    Mark B Guest

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

  3. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > A crazy Hick Huckster launching outta the Barn
    > http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery15.jpg
    >
    > YEEEEEEHA http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery17.jpg
    >
    > The Entrance http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery18.jpg
    >
    > Barn Drop http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery19.jpg
    >
    > The Exit http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery20.jpg
    >
    > One Barn is pretty cool...2 in a row are even better.
    > http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery20.jpg

    Damn, i want one of those. even just the ramps would be fun to ride.

    Now, all i gotta do is find a really good job, buy a house with tons of land, and an old barn (plus
    a garage to park the car in and well, work
    in). of course most of the land would want to be woods with some good strong old growth trees that i
    can build some elevated ramps and so forth.

    Hmmmm.... dreams are fun.

    ~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/mtty.mp3

  4. Simon

    Simon Guest

    | In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    | > A crazy Hick Huckster launching outta the Barn
    | > http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery15.jpg
    | >
    | > YEEEEEEHA http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery17.jpg
    | >
    | > The Entrance http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery18.jpg
    | >
    | > Barn Drop http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery19.jpg
    | >
    | > The Exit http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery20.jpg
    | >
    | > One Barn is pretty cool...2 in a row are even better.
    | > http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery20.jpg
    | >

    | Damn, i want one of those. even just the ramps would be fun to ride.
    |
    | Now, all i gotta do is find a really good job, buy a house with tons of land, and an old barn
    | (plus a garage to park the car in and well, work
    | in). of course most of the land would want to be woods with some good strong old growth trees that
    | i can build some elevated ramps and so forth.
    |
    | Hmmmm.... dreams are fun.
    |
    | ~Travis
    | --
    | travis57 at megalink dot net
    |
    | http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/mtty.mp3

    Depends where you live at present:

    The house I bought for £28,000 is now worth £70,000 thats roughly $175,000 canadian and I am pretty
    sure I can buy somewhere nice with that. By the time I convince the other half we would have more.

    Dreams can come true............just never in England :eek:)

    Simon

  5. Simon

    Simon Guest

  6. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Mon, 5 May 2003 20:33:04 -0400, "Mark B" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A crazy Hick Huckster launching outta the Barn
    >http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery15.jpg
    >
    >YEEEEEEHA http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery17.jpg
    >
    >The Entrance http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery18.jpg
    >
    >Barn Drop http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery19.jpg
    >
    >The Exit http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery20.jpg
    >
    >One Barn is pretty cool...2 in a row are even better.
    >http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery20.jpg

    Excellent use of EVERY THING on a trail. Is that someones private property? Or just something ya'll
    ran across and decided to use it?

    Too cool!

    Dave (watch out for them hay snakes!)

  7. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Mark B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > A crazy Hick Huckster launching outta the Barn
    > http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery15.jpg
    >
    > YEEEEEEHA http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery17.jpg
    >
    > The Entrance http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery18.jpg
    >
    > Barn Drop http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery19.jpg
    >
    > The Exit http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery20.jpg
    >
    > One Barn is pretty cool...2 in a row are even better.
    > http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery20.jpg

    Very cool pictures! Wish I could come over and play.

    Paladin

  8. Jd

    Jd Guest

  9. Mark B

    Mark B Guest

    It's private property. It's a little freeride park. I thought some of you would enjoy the concept.
    It keeps the free-ride stunts off the regular mountain bike trails and gives us XC boys somewhere to
    play around also.

    I don't personally do the really big stuff. But, I do like jumping on log rides, 2-3 foot drop-offs
    etc. but that's about it. It's fun.

    Like everywhere else I guess we battle locally between freeride stunt builders and IMBA paving
    crews. I guess everyone needs their space.

    Seems like the middle ground (technical XC) is what's disappearing locally.

    Mark

    "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 5 May 2003 20:33:04 -0400, "Mark B" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >A crazy Hick Huckster launching outta the Barn
    > >http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery15.jpg
    > >
    > >YEEEEEEHA http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery17.jpg
    > >
    > >The Entrance http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery18.jpg
    > >
    > >Barn Drop http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery19.jpg
    > >
    > >The Exit http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery20.jpg
    > >
    > >One Barn is pretty cool...2 in a row are even better.
    > >http://www.carolinaat.com/albums/album09/9gallery20.jpg
    > >

    > Excellent use of EVERY THING on a trail. Is that someones private property? Or just something
    > ya'll ran across and decided to use it?
    >
    > Too cool!
    >
    > Dave (watch out for them hay snakes!)

  10. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Mark B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
    > Like everywhere else I guess we battle locally between freeride stunt builders and IMBA paving
    > crews. I guess everyone needs their space.

    Whenever IMBA sends a "trail crew" here, I cringe. It usually means something is going to get
    sanitized, or a smoother, kinder, gentler reroute is in the works. Their last visit didn't
    disappoint me, as they did a reroute just as suspected, taking a few good twists and turns out of a
    great finish on a trail.

    > Seems like the middle ground (technical XC) is what's disappearing locally.

    Not here. The desanitization crews are hard at work, keeping the dream alive.

    JD

  11. Ohioburg

    Ohioburg Guest

    > "Mark B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > <snip>
    > > Like everywhere else I guess we battle locally between freeride stunt builders and IMBA paving
    > > crews. I guess everyone needs their space.
    >
    > Whenever IMBA sends a "trail crew" here, I cringe. It usually means something is going to get
    > sanitized, or a smoother, kinder, gentler reroute is in the works.

    Open question to everyone - what do people here think makes a good XC trail? We've got a state park
    that we were close to being kicked out of because of the erosion spots being created (fall line
    skidding on erodable soil, etc.). North shore type stuff is also frowned up on by the park. If your
    XC trail is subject to erosion, what you design into the trail to keep it interesting but
    sustainable?

    Rick Ohio

  12. Mark B

    Mark B Guest

    > The desanitization crews are hard at work, keeping the dream alive.

    "desanitization crews"...I like that. Sometimes I think I stand alone on this issue here in town.
    It's hard to say IMBA sucks when everyone has a card in their pockets. A few of them are really
    pissed at me. There are others upset at the pussification of trail but most are IMBA card wavin'
    sheep tearing out everything that might be dangerous to a 10 year old. They are also using these gas
    powered 3-4 foot wide mini-bulldozers to build/repair singletrack...it really pisses me off.

    I like do like some of the stuff they do...but I just can't understand this wide corridor and 10%
    grade stuff they preach all the time. I just don't get
    it. Whatever the expense..."sustainability" always comes first. I really hate that word. Makes for
    some lame-arse trail that's for sure.

    Maybe it works out West but it sucks to tear out all the trees just so the trail is multi-use. When
    they get back home to Colorado in those Suburus could you flatten the tires so they don't come back
    over here again?

    Mark

  13. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Mark B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Maybe it works out West but it sucks to tear out all the trees just so the trail is multi-use.
    > When they get back home to Colorado in those Suburus could you flatten the tires so they don't
    > come back over here again?

    I saw one in the Loma lot on Monday. Some dewbies were vandalizing it, yeah it was dewbies.

    JD

  14. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Ohioburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > "Mark B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > <snip>
    > > > Like everywhere else I guess we battle locally between freeride stunt builders and IMBA paving
    > > > crews. I guess everyone needs their space.
    > >
    > > Whenever IMBA sends a "trail crew" here, I cringe. It usually means something is going to get
    > > sanitized, or a smoother, kinder, gentler reroute is in the works.
    >
    > Open question to everyone - what do people here think makes a good XC trail? We've got a state
    > park that we were close to being kicked out of because of the erosion spots being created (fall
    > line skidding on erodable soil, etc.). North shore type stuff is also frowned up on by the park.
    > If your XC trail is subject to erosion, what you design into the trail to keep it interesting but
    > sustainable?

    First, yell at skidiots. If you yell at them enough, either they'll learn or quit because they are
    tired of getting yelled at.

    BFR ledges built into the trail and log waterbars will slow down almost any skidiot.

    JD

  15. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    > "Ohioburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Open question to everyone - what do people here think makes a good XC trail? We've got a state
    >> park that we were close to being kicked out of because of the erosion spots being created (fall
    >> line skidding on erodable soil, etc.). North shore type stuff is also frowned up on by the park.
    >> If your XC trail is subject to erosion, what you design into the trail to keep it interesting but
    >> sustainable?

    you don't make fall line runs on it, you build it for proper drainage, etc. Keep in mind that North
    Shore is Canadian... they build that stuff because the forest floor is too damn wet in places for
    trails to be on the forest floor, not because it's "cool" It became cool, but that is secondary to
    why it was built to begin with. Figure out what makes your area unique, and use YOUR natural terrain
    and features.

    If I managed a state park, I wouldn't allow freeriding in it either. Too much damage. Don't you have
    a lot of abandoned gravel quarries around there just begging for freeriding.

    Now. What do I think makes a good XC trail? Up, down and around. Up, down and around, Up and up,
    down and down, around and around. Trees and rocks. Roots, up down and around.

    ;-)

    Penny

  16. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

    > "Ohioburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > "Mark B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > <snip>
    > > >
    > > > Whenever IMBA sends a "trail crew" here, I cringe. It usually means something is going to get
    > > > sanitized, or a smoother, kinder, gentler reroute is in the works.
    > >
    > > Open question to everyone - what do people here think makes a good XC trail? We've got a state
    > > park that we were close to being kicked out of because of the erosion spots being created (fall
    > > line skidding on erodable soil, etc.). North shore type stuff is also frowned up on by the park.
    > > If your XC trail is subject to erosion, what you design into the trail to keep it interesting
    > > but sustainable?
    >
    > First, yell at skidiots. If you yell at them enough, either they'll learn or quit because they are
    > tired of getting yelled at.
    >
    > BFR ledges built into the trail and log waterbars will slow down almost any skidiot.

    I keep reading this stuff from all over the US...is Vancouver really that much mountain-bike heaven?
    Around here, civic leaders in most municipalities think of freeride trails as a tourist attraction,
    and the rapport with the major trail maintenance/advocacy groups is good. I can hit two significant
    XC areas within riding distance of my house, and many more without leaving Greater Vancouver.
    Closing down trails (well, there's one on the North Shore that is temporarily closed for a reroute
    due to new construction) is almost unheard of, and the major dispute right now is making sure the
    shuttling Shore freeriders park in the right place so they don't annoy the neighbours.

  17. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Thu, 15 May 2003 00:02:42 -0700, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

    > I keep reading this stuff from all over the US...is Vancouver really that much
    > mountain-bike heaven?

    No. Not all mountain bikers consider freeriding to be nirvana, and most US trails don't suffer from
    the contention that apparently exists in the San Francisco Bay Area & certain parts of the
    Northeast.

  18. "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 15 May 2003 00:02:42 -0700, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
    >
    > > I keep reading this stuff from all over the US...is Vancouver really that much mountain-bike
    > > heaven?
    >
    > No. Not all mountain bikers consider freeriding to be nirvana, and most US trails don't suffer
    > from the contention that apparently exists in the San Francisco Bay Area & certain parts of the
    > Northeast.
    >
    > --
    > -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

    I agree with BB. Here is SW Colorado, we don't have freeriding parks or many trail conflicts, we do
    have a great local trails group (Trails 2000) which caters to all trail users. I've never had the
    user conflicts one reads about in other areas. Maybe I'm just lucky. On the other hand, this is a
    bike town, but it is also a ski town and a horse town, a boating town and a hunting town. Everybody
    seems to respect each others interests and needs, it works out pretty well.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  19. In article <[email protected]>, BB <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Thu, 15 May 2003 00:02:42 -0700, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
    >
    > > I keep reading this stuff from all over the US...is Vancouver really that much mountain-bike
    > > heaven?
    >
    > No. Not all mountain bikers consider freeriding to be nirvana, and most US trails don't suffer
    > from the contention that apparently exists in the San Francisco Bay Area & certain parts of the
    > Northeast.

    Perhaps I overemphasized that point. There's lots of freeriding in Vancouver, but there's also more
    than enough XC, even on the North Shore.

    What I wanted to express was that freeriding was not some sort of ire-inducing nightmare in
    Vancouver, for hikers or other bikers. This may be because the good freeride trails are exclusively
    freeride trails, and always have been. Nobody tries to climb Ned's Atomic Dustbin on a bike, nor
    would hikers bother with it, when they have much better places to be.

    I'm not saying Vancouver should be a model for the rest of the world, just that we have a nice mix
    of good trails, freeride opportunities, and good community relations.

    XC hardtail rider,