What to do with bikes while staying at a hotel

GaryGnu

Jul 12, 2007
I'm headed to the Outer Banks, NC in a few weeks. Along the way, I'll be stopping in Williamsburg, VA for a few days. I will have all the family bikes on my bike rack. While I can just leave them on the rack, locked up, I'd prefer to move them inside somewhere to a safer location. Depending on where I stay, I realize I could bring them into the room, but hotel rooms are small enough. I know hotels will store luggage for a short period of time. What about bikes?

Do hotels in general accomodate such requests, or is that a stupid question?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Gary

It really depends on how much spare room the hotel has available, and if they/you want to accept liability if the bikes are stolen or damaged.

Give the hotel a phone call and ask. Check-in people don't like being surprised with special requests, but a few weeks out is plenty of notice. If they say yes, be sure to get the person's full name for reference when you actually arrive.

i would say to just putem inside the hotel room :p, i would say they are worth the space lose.

I keep mine in the room. As a matter of fact I have done that at the Outer Banks before.

Call beforehand and find out.

Never stayed in a hotel with bikes in the US before, but most places here in the Old World will accomodate your request and find a safe spot for you to keep your ride.

I now look for bike friendly hotels that specifically cater to cyclists' needs (don't know how popular those are in the US). One of the larger cycling friendly hotel associations for your information: http://www.italybikehotels.it/ .

Let the wife sleep in the car and put the bike on the bed, get your priorities straight!

UncleFred said:
Let the wife sleep in the car and put the bike on the bed, get your priorities straight!

You trust your wife with your bike!!!!!
Seriously a bike is luggage but ask for a ground floor with and outside entrance if possible, but mine has ridden on an elevator many time ...and it did not mind.
I have ridden mine down a hallway several times.Just act like you know it is ok.
Desk Clerks are easy! :D