What to do with my wife's Masi?

Pelican_Racing

Nov 23, 2004
I was watching a few auctions on eBay today for Shimano Sante parts. I didn't know they were so valuable! I was going to upgrade my wife's Masi because I took it for a spin after tuning it up this weekend. Was a bit strange getting used to the downtube shifters again. Don't know how safe it is for her to use these. Of course, she wants "those shifty things" like everyone else has on their bikes (STI).

So, should I part it out and upgrade her to some newer stuff? Maybe a Ultegra 9spd kit now that 10spd is out.

Should I sell the whole bike? It's period correct, vintage, everything works well and has very few miles. I don't want to get it respaced (currently 126mm) since it's a special Columbus SLX-SP tubeset (heard it was harder to work).

Anyone have any idea how much this thing is worth? It's an '88 Masi Nuova Strada with full Shimano Sante gruppo, 7spd, tubular wheels, everything original.

Thanks in advance for any help or information you may be able to provide.

-Hong

Pelican_Racing said:
Should I sell the whole bike? It's period correct, vintage, everything works well and has very few miles. I don't want to get it respaced (currently 126mm) since it's a special Columbus SLX-SP tubeset (heard it was harder to work).

-Hong
That is just total BS. You don't really have to even respace the frame. It can be spread by hand,and a 130 hub put in and ridden.That's a nice frame.If it fits her well it's wroth upgradig. Sounds like she has hardly ever ridden it tho,so what's the point.Just another expensive garage ornament.

boudreaux said:
Just another expensive garage ornament.
Or in this case, an expensive bedroom ornament! :)

FYI, I'm just trying to get her into the sport. Don't want her crashing on her first ride because she's trying to change gears.

Thanks for the "just shove a hub in there" suggestion. I know it can be done, but I don't like mickey mouse solutions.

-Hong

Pelican_Racing said:
Or in this case, an expensive bedroom ornament! :)

FYI, I'm just trying to get her into the sport. Don't want her crashing on her first ride because she's trying to change gears.

Thanks for the "just shove a hub in there" suggestion. I know it can be done, but I don't like mickey mouse solutions.

-Hong
Anyone that crashes using downtube shifters shouldn't be on a bike anyway. And, it's not a Mickey Mouse solution. Better people than me have done it.

boudreaux said:
Anyone that crashes using downtube shifters shouldn't be on a bike anyway. And, it's not a Mickey Mouse solution. Better people than me have done it.
What's with the attitude? Maybe you need to go for a ride.

It's mickey mouse. I don't care who's done it.

Pelican_Racing said:
What's with the attitude? Maybe you need to go for a ride.

Well, you are obviously beyond hope.

don't know what is up with boudreaux, maybe he didn't get a ride in today. :eek:

I don't know about Shimano parts on ebay either. I'd ask the local bike snob at the b-store.

I DO know about gettiing women to like riding. The bike needs to fit and be easy to use, light and responsive relative to her size. I'd assume something from 1988 was designed for the male anatomy. Even if you keep the frame and upgrade, make sure the fits. I know my bike from 1986 did NOT fit.

Riding IS fun and STI is easier than downtube shifting. Absolutely.

Doesn't sound like money is really the issue, but getting her out riding is. Comfort is key and DO NOT push her to go any farther or faster than she wants. However, I really doubt she needs THE BEST.

My trouble is getting my husband as interested as I am. Similar, but very different.

Good luck, SD

sdentoni said:
Doesn't sound like money is really the issue, but getting her out riding is. Comfort is key and DO NOT push her to go any farther or faster than she wants. However, I really doubt she needs THE BEST.

My trouble is getting my husband as interested as I am. Similar, but very different.
For the ladies, a couch and box of Bon Bons is always more comfortable, For guys, it's beer pizza and a tv remote to go with the couch.

sdentoni said:
SD,

Thanks for the advice. I'm not made of money, hence the suggestion for a Ultegra kit for her frame. I've got the bling bling Dura Ace stuff on my bike.;)

This is the third frame/bike I've bought for her, and it's the most suitable one for her fitwise. I know fit is the key, but we can't afford a custom frame unless she really loves the sport.

Good to know there are *some* helpful folks on here! :D

-Hong

Pelican_Racing said:

Nothing Mickey Mouse about it. But if you want to have it "respaced" go for it. You can always space it back to original if you decide to put the retro parts back on it. Thats what's great about steel you could bent it and rebend it without worries. FWIW I'd put Campy Centaur on it.

if your wife doesn't have the greatest hand-eye coordination or bike-riding skills then downtube shifters will definitely be a problem for her. also, i kind of agree with boudreaux: with a 130 hub, there's nothing wrong with spreading it by hand and putting it in there. it's actually not much different than "respacing."

slx is a famously stiff tubeset, but 4mm is a negligible distance. i doubt you'll run into any trouble with respacing. steel is steel.

if you want to sell me the sante parts i'll totally give you a couple bucks for them.

mewash said:
slx is a famously stiff tubeset, but 4mm is a negligible distance. i doubt you'll run into any trouble with respacing. steel is steel.
It likely wasn't used in the stays anyway.