What to do with naked DT shifter bosses?

Paul M. Hobson

Guest
The bike looks like a baby running around without a diaper at the moment.

\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.

"Paul M. Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The bike looks like a baby running around without a diaper at the moment.

Angle grinder!

(oh no, sorry, wrong group)

Put the bosses you get with a set of sti/ergo levers on, but leave the cable
adjusters off?

cheers,
clive

Clive George wrote:
> Angle grinder!
>
> (oh no, sorry, wrong group)
>
> Put the bosses you get with a set of sti/ergo levers on, but leave the
> cable adjusters off?

Perhaps. That's all I can come up with too :/

\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.

On May 21, 9:12 pm, "Paul M. Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> The bike looks like a baby running around without a diaper at the moment.
>
> \\paul

Build up with Bondo to look like pectoral fins.

"Paul M. Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The bike looks like a baby running around without a diaper at the moment.

How are you presently running your cables. Oh, you must be running a fixie.

As someone noted, just put on the cable stops without the screw-in ends.
They won't look that good but then they won't look as bad as without
anything.

Tom Kunich wrote:
> "Paul M. Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> The bike looks like a baby running around without a diaper at the moment.

> How are you presently running your cables. Oh, you must be running a fixie.
>
> As someone noted, just put on the cable stops without the screw-in ends.
> They won't look that good but then they won't look as bad as without
> anything.

Just to be clear, it's the ladyfriend's singlespeed. She'll probably be
cool with leaving them bald. I've been recently baptized in the church
of Shimagnolo and hope to gain dual citizenship in the Alfine province
of the Nexus Republic.

\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.

On May 21, 7:12 pm, "Paul M. Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> The bike looks like a baby running around without a diaper at the moment.

Use an M5 screw to mount a good luck charm,
Pez dispenser, or even a small light (on a raised
mount so it shines over the fork crown).

Ben

"Paul M. Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The bike looks like a baby running around without a diaper at the

moment.

> \\paul
> --
> Paul M. Hobson
> .:change the f to ph to reply:.

Put some DT levers on them and use them as god intended.... ;-)

Chas.

On May 22, 12:27 am, "Paul M. Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tom Kunich wrote:
> > "Paul M. Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> The bike looks like a baby running around without a diaper at the moment.

> > How are you presently running your cables. Oh, you must be running a fixie.

> > As someone noted, just put on the cable stops without the screw-in ends.
> > They won't look that good but then they won't look as bad as without
> > anything.

> Just to be clear, it's the ladyfriend's singlespeed. She'll probably be
> cool with leaving them bald. I've been recently baptized in the church
> of Shimagnolo and hope to gain dual citizenship in the Alfine province
> of the Nexus Republic.

If you're bastardizing the Bianchi, which I fully approve of. Do
remember that a gentleman doesn't really need more than three gears,
and a S/A trigger shifter (get a vintage one with silver fascia ya
hipster) can be made to fit oh-so-neatly up by the stem when using
drop bars. Our SA is now fully modern looking in an aluminum shell:
http://www.sturmey-archer.com/hubs_3spd_SRF3.php
"Look ma, no more oil port!"
Middle gear should be efficient as a red band Alfine.
Cheap.

* * Chas wrote:
> "Paul M. Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> The bike looks like a baby running around without a diaper at the

> moment.
>> \\paul
>> --
>> Paul M. Hobson
>> .:change the f to ph to reply:.

> Put some DT levers on them and use them as god intended.... ;-)

See the post about this being a girlfriend's bike. I'm working on it! :)

--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.

landotter wrote:
> On May 22, 12:27 am, "Paul M. Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Tom Kunich wrote:
>>> "Paul M. Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>> How are you presently running your cables. Oh, you must be running a fixie.
>>> As someone noted, just put on the cable stops without the screw-in ends.
>>> They won't look that good but then they won't look as bad as without
>>> anything.

>> Just to be clear, it's the ladyfriend's singlespeed. She'll probably be
>> cool with leaving them bald. I've been recently baptized in the church
>> of Shimagnolo and hope to gain dual citizenship in the Alfine province
>> of the Nexus Republic.

> If you're bastardizing the Bianchi, which I fully approve of. Do
> remember that a gentleman doesn't really need more than three gears,
> and a S/A trigger shifter (get a vintage one with silver fascia ya
> hipster) can be made to fit oh-so-neatly up by the stem when using
> drop bars. Our SA is now fully modern looking in an aluminum shell:
> http://www.sturmey-archer.com/hubs_3spd_SRF3.php
> "Look ma, no more oil port!"
> Middle gear should be efficient as a red band Alfine.
> Cheap.

The Bianchi got crumpled under the force of the GMC Tahoe that t-boned
me in Nov. 2006. The Trek 330 has the Shimagnolo and I'll be dumping
the Raleigh One-Way for something more conducive for going to a
professional setting and carrying cargo -- probably one of those Pake's
with an Alfine hub and appropriate luggage.

More than likely, the Trek will take over SS duties and I'll pick up
another road frame* as well once the weather gets nice again since
recovering from my second wrist surgery should carry me through all the
nice weather in PDX ::frown:clown::

* I was looking at the Salsa La Raza - $500 bucks got you True Temper OX
Platinum steek and a CFRP fork. Alas, it appears to be discontinued.
If anyone knows of something similar, I'm all ears.

--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.

On May 22, 2:26 am, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Paul M. Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...
>
> > The bike looks like a baby running around without a diaper at the

> moment.
>
> > \\paul
> > --
> > Paul M. Hobson
> > .:change the f to ph to reply:.

> Put some DT levers on them and use them as god intended.... ;-)

Then run the cables to something other than derailleurs--perhaps old
fashioned pointy hands indicating turns!

On May 22, 7:10 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 22, 2:26 am, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Paul M. Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...

> > > The bike looks like a baby running around without a diaper at the

> > moment.

> > > \\paul
> > > --
> > > Paul M. Hobson
> > > .:change the f to ph to reply:.

> > Put some DT levers on them and use them as god intended.... ;-)

> Then run the cables to something other than derailleurs--perhaps old
> fashioned pointy hands indicating turns!

This is the most awesome thing I've seen posted all day, and that
includes the animated GIF I saw of Mr. T punching a shark.

On May 22, 9:07 am, "Paul M. Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> landotter wrote:
> >> Just to be clear, it's the ladyfriend's singlespeed. She'll probably be
> >> cool with leaving them bald. I've been recently baptized in the church
> >> of Shimagnolo and hope to gain dual citizenship in the Alfine province
> >> of the Nexus Republic.

> > If you're bastardizing the Bianchi, which I fully approve of. Do
> > remember that a gentleman doesn't really need more than three gears,
> > and a S/A trigger shifter (get a vintage one with silver fascia ya
> > hipster) can be made to fit oh-so-neatly up by the stem when using
> > drop bars. Our SA is now fully modern looking in an aluminum shell:
> >http://www.sturmey-archer.com/hubs_3spd_SRF3.php
> > "Look ma, no more oil port!"
> > Middle gear should be efficient as a red band Alfine.
> > Cheap.

> The Bianchi got crumpled under the force of the GMC Tahoe that t-boned
> me in Nov. 2006. The Trek 330 has the Shimagnolo and I'll be dumping
> the Raleigh One-Way for something more conducive for going to a
> professional setting and carrying cargo -- probably one of those Pake's
> with an Alfine hub and appropriate luggage.

Bah, meant the Raleigh. Add 3spd hub + trigger shifter and even a
North Road bar and ya got a gentlemanly bike worthy of a professional
setting.

for luggage, Velo Orange *finally* got in some of the real Dutch stuff
for a good price:

http://www.velo-orange.com/bamepa.html

Black pleather--you'll have the Portland vegan chicks humping your
legs. Bring wetnaps, they can be stinky. I know--dated a few.

I did a similar sober setup with the early Nexus7 for years and it was
great--a completely non-sporty bike. I could ride it in my leather
jacket and a green derby and it didn't look ridiculous.

On May 22, 11:38 am, Hank <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 22, 7:10 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > moment.

> > > Put some DT levers on them and use them as god intended.... ;-)

> > Then run the cables to something other than derailleurs--perhaps old
> > fashioned pointy hands indicating turns!

> This is the most awesome thing I've seen posted all day, and that
> includes the animated GIF I saw of Mr. T punching a shark.

What can I say, I'm a dreamer! Ha! That or have them operate useless
ailerons off the back of the saddle. A parking brake on one side and a
pop up middle finger, like you can buy at Spencer's Gifts on the
other. Or just use them to animate the arms of a sock monkey hanging
off the saddle.