What to do with that massive bike bag?

john bailey

Oct 15, 2007
Hi

I am planning my first cycling tour and wanted to know from people what solutions they may have of ditching that massive bike bag or box for the duration of the tour...I suppose in this sense that my initial tour will/may be a circular tour so i can pick up the bag on the way home.

Failing all this the other way of getting to Switzerland is to book ahead for the dedicated cycle spaces on Eurostar and SNCF.

Flying is not an option for me as I am terrified of it.

Many thanks

john

john bailey said:
Hi

I am planning my first cycling tour and wanted to know from people what solutions they may have of ditching that massive bike bag or box for the duration of the tour...I suppose in this sense that my initial tour will/may be a circular tour so i can pick up the bag on the way home.

Failing all this the other way of getting to Switzerland is to book ahead for the dedicated cycle spaces on Eurostar and SNCF.

Flying is not an option for me as I am terrified of it.

Many thanks

john

I'd recommend getting a Tardis bag from Ground Effect in New Zealnd(google for it). It weighs about a kilo and folds into a small bag which you can post to your final destination. You can get a full mountainbike into it plus tent and rack. It's fine for Eurostar/SNCF (only disadvantage is a lack of wheels).

There are no dedicated cycle spaces on Eurostar - you have to send the bike 24 hours in advance.

Hey Andy

thanks for the tip off - they are the exact thing i'm needing...something that's easy to store on the bike. I'm thinking it'll have to come with us as ditching it somewhere will just cause problems and I will have to stay doing circular tours - i could post it home too - the other one I have seen is by a company called Velox, they retail in the UK for 39.99 and look ok for the minor jouney on Eurostar/ICE/SNCF - they also roll up into a provided waterproof bag measuring around 120x120x360mm and weigh in about 800g. However they don't have the useful wheel sections.

Cheers

john

john bailey said:
Hey Andy

thanks for the tip off - they are the exact thing i'm needing...something that's easy to store on the bike. I'm thinking it'll have to come with us as ditching it somewhere will just cause problems and I will have to stay doing circular tours - i could post it home too - the other one I have seen is by a company called Velox, they retail in the UK for 39.99 and look ok for the minor jouney on Eurostar/ICE/SNCF - they also roll up into a provided waterproof bag measuring around 120x120x360mm and weigh in about 800g. However they don't have the useful wheel sections.

Cheers

john

Seriously, just stick it in the post - either to a hotel or 'poste restante' to a post office (though check opening times and holidays).