What to eat in the morning before training

kmaultsby

Jul 29, 2006
Newbie here I would like to workout in the morning but what should I eat before my ride or do I wait until I come back from my ride?

You must eat something, as you wake up after a 'fast' of 8 hours or so.

Carbohydrates: Cereal, bread, fruit, load up.

Spunout said:
You must eat something, as you wake up after a 'fast' of 8 hours or so.
So? I would say it depends on what you are planning to do. I usually don't eat before I workout in the morning. I have no problems doing that, at least not for efforts up to about 2-2 1/2 hours or so. If you are planning a metric or century, then, yes, it's probably a good idea to have some food before you go.

usually- a small (one slice of bread- folded over) peanut butter sandwich. carbs... a bit proteinseems to work for me. but as stated above-- greatly depends on what your going to do that day.

kmaultsby said:
Newbie here I would like to workout in the morning but what should I eat before my ride or do I wait until I come back from my ride?
I have found if I have a banana, some juice, and small glass of low fat choc milk, in the morning before I head out that I feel much better during my ride. I mix gatorade and water, during the ride itself and have sport beans or power gel after the first hour or so.

I also drink another small glass of chocolate milk when I get back, then have a regular healthy breakfast.

Oatmeal, yogurt, two scrambled-eggs with mushrooms, fresh salsa and cheese, carboforce, water - oatmeal-raisen bar, banana, and gels for the ride, gatorade in one bottle, water in the other, stop at several springs for more water about half way. Upon return, more gatorade, maybe a yogurt or small sandwich - shower - eat a nice big pasta dinner. My wife hates me. I eat like a 300lb+ slob would eat, yet I remain 155lbs (5'7"). Gotta love being able to stuff more carbs into my belly than I can shake a stick at.

1 piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter and jelly(fruit - no sugar) and a cup of coffee works great for me. Then gel or Cliff bar or cycling jelly beans about every hour while riding.

Jim

I went out today on just a couple of bowls of cereal and a fudgesicle (I know... they're my weakness), and did fine for the first 35 miles... and then I HIT A WALL. I've never bonked before, but I totally did today. I should have brought food to eat on the bike, too, but definitely should have eaten more at breakfast. It made the last 10 miles of the ride after I bonked really, really tough.

I'm training, as you are, to lose some weight, and I would just say that as long as you stick with it and ride frequently, you can lose weight pretty easily- as long as you don't live on a total junk food diet. I actually haven't lost much weight, per se, but I'm definitely a lot leaner (pants fit better, etc.).

My advice would be to make sure you load up in advance- and don't worry about how much you're eating, as long as it's within reason, and, if you're going for a long distance on the ride, make sure you take something (Goo, Clif Bars, etc.) with you to sustain yourself while you're out there.

Thanks all for the great feedback. When I eat in the the morning how long after can I go out and ride?

kmaultsby said:
Thanks all for the great feedback. When I eat in the the morning how long after can I go out and ride?
Yesterday (at 6am) I had one glass of Gatorade and a banana before going out,
I was on my bike within 5 mins and cruising at 30kph and finished off doing 75k
with the temp rising to 30C. And this was on a mountainous course. See last page or so of "It's killing me but".

Warning!

Do not attempt to do the above unless you have chosen your father well.:D

I've been running for a long time and use the same eating habits before a day of training (works really well). The night before, I carb load with some sort of pasta (not too much); with that, I'll eat a small steak and drink lot's of water. The morning before I go out, I'll drink a protein shake and take a vitamin. Both of my water bottles have 50/50 water and gatorade and I bring a couple packs of peanutbutter crackers. I just started biking a week ago and that has carried me just fine (did my first 40 mile bike run today :D). Keep hydrated, nothing is worse when you go dry - very miserable feeling.

kmaultsby said:
What I am trying to do is to loose weight for now and increase my endurance.
Let me stress how important diet is when trying to lose weight. Endurance is nothing without something backing it up. You need to eat proper foods. Your body is like a machine - you need proper nutrients. If you're trying to lose weight, change your diet and do what you do for exercise. Losing weight is usually a change in lifestyle. I'd recommend you eat high protein foods and limit foods with refined carbs. Go after fruits - bananas, cantaloupes, grapes, ect. Other good foods are chicken breast, fish, steak and peanut butter. Remember, exercise will eat up calories and you'll need to replace those. Healthy weight loss isn't instant - which is why people seek these fad diets. If you maintain a good diet and exercise regiment, you'll notice a big difference in your health and waist within 2 months - I guarantee it :D

Dietmar said:
So? I would say it depends on what you are planning to do. I usually don't eat before I workout in the morning. I have no problems doing that, at least not for efforts up to about 2-2 1/2 hours or so. If you are planning a metric or century, then, yes, it's probably a good idea to have some food before you go.
I'm the same, I'm good for 3 hours or so without food.

Basically your body will burn energy it has for this purpose that is stored with the muscles and will replenish this usually from fat.

If your ride is 60 minutes or less, then there is no need what so ever to eat before riding. After this point, it depends on the rider, most are good for about 2 hours.

I don't go for so long without food, but understand that some people might. I'm trying to shed a few pounds as well as train right. What seems to be working is to eat little or nothing before my morning ride (maybe a swig of milk or juice) and ride for an hour to hour and a half. Most days where I go over an hour, I squeeze a Gu/Clif Shot OR mix up sports drink into my water. When I get to work, I eat a Clif bar or Protein bar, depending on whether I was doing LSD or sprints and feel I need the added protein. An hour later, I have another snack, and two hours later I eat lunch. I'm dropping about 1/2 pound per week (overall, I ride about 8-10 hours per week). On my weekend rides (2-3 hours) again, I don't eat breakfast, but drop a clif bar into my pocket and two packs of Gu. I start nibbling on the energy bar right off - takes me at least an hour - and squeeze out a Gu every half-hour or so after that. Again, I eat as soon as I come home. That lasts me about 3 hours.

DCWD said:
I don't go for so long without food, but understand that some people might. I'm trying to shed a few pounds as well as train right. What seems to be working is to eat little or nothing before my morning ride (maybe a swig of milk or juice) and ride for an hour to hour and a half. Most days where I go over an hour, I squeeze a Gu/Clif Shot OR mix up sports drink into my water. When I get to work, I eat a Clif bar or Protein bar, depending on whether I was doing LSD or sprints and feel I need the added protein. An hour later, I have another snack, and two hours later I eat lunch. I'm dropping about 1/2 pound per week (overall, I ride about 8-10 hours per week). On my weekend rides (2-3 hours) again, I don't eat breakfast, but drop a clif bar into my pocket and two packs of Gu. I start nibbling on the energy bar right off - takes me at least an hour - and squeeze out a Gu every half-hour or so after that. Again, I eat as soon as I come home. That lasts me about 3 hours.
I'm actually burning fat as opposed to just losing weight, and can't believe those are replacements for good clean food. I got a personal trainer and added weight training and was told to eat more than I was and its made a tremendous difference. What you eat, is as important as when, you eat. Granted, I'm only riding 6-8 hours a week, but run and lift on alternating days.

After I get home from my morning ride, I eat a whole wheat English Muffin with 1 egg + 1 egg white and have juice. Fruit or granola bar around 10am, then a turkey or tuna sandwhich for lunch, another decent snack and an early dinner. I've made a fairly substantial body change in the last 3 months. The riding is only a few weeks old, but it has become one of my favorite weekly actvities.

mikesbytes said:
I'm the same, I'm good for 3 hours or so without food.

Basically your body will burn energy it has for this purpose that is stored with the muscles and will replenish this usually from fat.

If your ride is 60 minutes or less, then there is no need what so ever to eat before riding. After this point, it depends on the rider, most are good for about 2 hours.
Yeah, often when you hear recommendations of what you "should", or "must" have as far as food and drink are concerned, people do not realize how large the differences between individual athletes in that area can be. In our case, what we are doing does not mean that everybody should go without food, but I assure those people who feel that Mike or I are starving ourselves that there is no need for concern.
I feel perfectly fine doing a 2-hour ride in the morning without having anything at all for breakfast. If I didn't, I would have something to eat first. This is not about "look how tough I am, going on a ride before breakfast"; it's simply the way of doing things that feels right to me. One thing I can guarantee is that if I had that egg-bacon-mushroom-and-hashbrown breakfast before riding, I'd probably end up breaking down and projectile-vomiting 15 minutes into the ride...

Sillyoldtwit said:
Yesterday (at 6am) I had one glass of Gatorade and a banana before going out, I was on my bike within 5 mins and cruising at 30kph and finished off doing 75k with the temp rising to 30C. And this was on a mountainous course.
Heh, that sounds exactly like my ride yesterday, with the minor ;) difference of a complete lack of mountains. But I didn't have a banana, so we're even, right? :D

Sillyoldtwit said:
Do not attempt to do the above unless you have chosen your father well.
Well, yes, like I said above. You need to do what's right for you. That you and I can go without breakfast does not even have to mean that we have the "better genes"; there may be disadvantages to the kind of setup that allows us to do this in some other area, although I am not aware of any :D