What to expect at first race?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by FivePops, Mar 7, 2004.

1. FivePops

FivePops New Member

I have been training all since last spring for this years races. I think I am up to what I need to be physically, but of course everyone can go further with their fitness level. But what should I really do to prepare for this race and what should I expect. I am 18 in a Junior 17/18 division and the race is 18 miles long.

Tags:

2. Sprinter_989

Sprinter_989 New Member

Well I think you should try to sit on the back, to be honest they race like maniacs, ( i should know I am one lol) get a coach asap, and get as much race experience as you can.

3. texastrack04

texastrack04 New Member

is there anything like this in the houston area(referring to the u18 division for racing)? how would u recomend this for a beginner? i am just sorta starting but wanna do a race to see how competitive i am and to try to work out some sort of training ideas.

4. Cryder

Cryder New Member

Being that this is your first race, take it easy and learn... but still ride it like a race. I assume you have some experience in drafting, pacelines, basic strategy and the sort. If not, you wont know what the heck is going on and could find it very akward. If you are really just starting out on the bike, you may try using area group rides beneficial to your training/learning curve. There are also some other basic training/racing guides out there that can help shed some light on how everything works.

Try and do some training rides with other racers to guage where you are at - you'll find out quickly with a fast group. You'll also find where your strengths are on the bike, and be able to start adjusting your racing strategies to your natural strenghts. Being that the race is only 18
    miles long - expect a very fiesty bunch that is forced to shake things up in a shorter distance. Local features like hills, wind, and temperature will also play a part and should help you create a strategy. If things dont get broken up, it could come down to a bunch sprint at the end.

good luck.

- n -

5. texastrack04

texastrack04 New Member

it would def be my first race. where can i find some of these guides your talking about? the only group around be that i know about just rides on sundays...would that be enough?

6. hwttdz

hwttdz New Member

What do I need to bring to a race to check in day of?