What to make with pepperoni? (aside from pizza!)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Karen AKA Kajikit, Feb 5, 2006.

  1. DH bought a whole POUND of pepperoni last week and the only thing I
    know how to do with it is to a)mix it with scrambled eggs and b)make
    pepperoni pizza. We'd be eating pizza and eggs till the cows come home
    to use it all up. Anyone got any other suggestions?

    --
    ~Karen aka Kajikit
    Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life

    Tags:

  2. Karen AKA Kajikit wrote on 05 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > DH bought a whole POUND of pepperoni last week and the only thing I
    > know how to do with it is to a)mix it with scrambled eggs and b)make
    > pepperoni pizza. We'd be eating pizza and eggs till the cows come home
    > to use it all up. Anyone got any other suggestions?

    perhaps chilli?....:)

    It is nice in a bean based soup
    Dried and used as a kinda jerky
    Sandwhiches.
    Ravioli filling.
    topping on a baked mac and cheese casserole
    pepperoni and cheese plate.
    kinda a egg mcmuffin dealie...english muffin, poached egg, cheese and
    pepperoni slices.

    run out of ideas ...

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.

  3. "Karen AKA Kajikit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > DH bought a whole POUND of pepperoni last week and the only thing I
    > know how to do with it is to a)mix it with scrambled eggs and b)make
    > pepperoni pizza. We'd be eating pizza and eggs till the cows come home
    > to use it all up. Anyone got any other suggestions?
    >
    > --
    > ~Karen aka Kajikit

    I like this:
    Charlie

    PEPPERONI SAUCE FOR PASTA

    Recipe by: original source unknown but modified by Charlie

    This works for most pasta. I like to use spaghetti.

    2 tbs. olive oil
    1/2 lb. ground chuck (or other beef - you want about 12 to 15% fat)
    1/2 lb. pepperoni, cut into small pieces
    28 oz. can tomatoes, broken up, with juices
    6 oz. tomato paste
    1 cup hot water as needed
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. sugar
    1 tsp. dried oregano
    1 tsp chili powder (not powdered chile)
    1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
    8 oz. can sliced mushrooms ( you can of course substitute fresh mushrooms
    sautéed in olive oil.)
    1. lb. spaghetti
    grated Asiago, Romano or Parmesan, to taste

    Cook the beef and sausage in the olive oil in a skillet for 10 minutes or
    until the beef is starting to brown. Add the tomatoes with juice, tomato
    paste, hot water a little at a time, onion, garlic and salt and simmer 30
    minutes. The amount of water added depends on the sauce consistency wanted -
    not too thick and not too thin, eh? If you get it too thin just simmer a
    little longer. Stir in the sugar, oregano, chili powder, parsley and
    mushrooms and simmer another 5 minutes. While sauce is cooking, cook pasta
    and drain. Serve the sauce over the spaghetti sprinkled with lots of
    Parmesan.

    Note: You can use red wine instead of water to good effect. You can also add
    3 oz. cream cheese, and 1/3 cup diced green pepper to the sauce, mix with a
    pasta such as penne or rigatoni, put in an oiled casserole, top with lots of
    Parmesan, drizzle with a little olive oil and bake briefly (at 350 deg F).

  4. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
    > DH bought a whole POUND of pepperoni last week and the only thing I
    > know how to do with it is to a)mix it with scrambled eggs and b)make
    > pepperoni pizza. We'd be eating pizza and eggs till the cows come home
    > to use it all up. Anyone got any other suggestions?

    Stuff into six foot long super bowl heros.

  5. MareCat

    MareCat Guest

    "Karen AKA Kajikit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > DH bought a whole POUND of pepperoni last week and the only thing I
    > know how to do with it is to a)mix it with scrambled eggs and b)make
    > pepperoni pizza. We'd be eating pizza and eggs till the cows come home
    > to use it all up. Anyone got any other suggestions?

    Last week I also had some extra pepperoni to use up, so I made chicken
    breasts stuffed with diced pepperoni and mozzarella. Served 'em covered with
    tomato sauce and some cheese ravioli. Was good.

    Mary

  6. Travlr

    Travlr Guest

    Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
    > DH bought a whole POUND of pepperoni last week and the only thing I
    > know how to do with it is to a)mix it with scrambled eggs and b)make
    > pepperoni pizza. We'd be eating pizza and eggs till the cows come home
    > to use it all up. Anyone got any other suggestions?

    A friend of mine created this breakfast concoction...........an Italian
    bagel. Toast an onion bagel and top with cream cheese, slices of
    pepperoni, a slice of onion, a slice of ripe tomato and sprinkle with
    pepper. Didn't sound too good but was!

    You could also make pepperoni and cheese bread or rolls. Our local
    gourmet *Strip District* sells tons of it. An easy way is to use frozen
    bread dough and roll it out to a square, fill it with slices of
    pepperoni and shredded mozzerella and roll it up to a loaf and bake.

    Pepperoni lasts a long time as long as it is in a stick. I peel off the
    paper covering and re-wrap it in plastic to keep it fresh. (I don't
    like to eat the paper covering and after it ages, it is almost
    impossible to remove.) Travlr

  7. serene

    serene Guest

    On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 17:46:15 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >DH bought a whole POUND of pepperoni last week and the only thing I
    >know how to do with it is to a)mix it with scrambled eggs and b)make
    >pepperoni pizza. We'd be eating pizza and eggs till the cows come home
    >to use it all up. Anyone got any other suggestions?

    My sister made stromboli with it. Thaw frozen bread dough, press it
    flat, layer pepperoni and cheese on it, wrap it up into a wreath-like
    thing, bake slice.

    serene

  8. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 16:11:29 -0800, serene <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 17:46:15 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>DH bought a whole POUND of pepperoni last week and the only thing I
    >>know how to do with it is to a)mix it with scrambled eggs and b)make
    >>pepperoni pizza. We'd be eating pizza and eggs till the cows come home
    >>to use it all up. Anyone got any other suggestions?

    >My sister made stromboli with it. Thaw frozen bread dough, press it
    >flat, layer pepperoni and cheese on it, wrap it up into a wreath-like
    >thing, bake slice.
    >
    >serene

    Pepperoni freezes quite well all by itself.

    Boron

  9. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Damsel's split peasoup uses pepperoni, doesn't it?

    This recipe is from a kid's cookbook I used to use with my
    elementary-school cooking club:

    NIBBLE STICKS

    2 c flour
    2 t baking powder
    1/2 t salt
    1/2 c shortening
    2/3 c shredded cheese (cheddar, jack, mozzarella, or provolone work
    well)
    1/2 c finely chopped pepperoni (or lunch meat like ham or salami)
    3/4 c milk

    Preheat oven to 450 F.
    Mix dry ingredients. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender.
    Stir in cheese and pepperoni. Add milk and stir to form soft dough.
    Knead on floured surface about 10 times.
    Pat dought into an 8-inch square. Cut square in half, then cut into
    1'inch strips.
    Bake strips for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.

    These are a good snack, or good alongside a bowl of soup and a salad.
    The cookbook suggests serving them with ketchup or cheese dip.

  10. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >DH bought a whole POUND of pepperoni last week and the only thing I
    >know how to do with it is to a)mix it with scrambled eggs and b)make
    >pepperoni pizza. We'd be eating pizza and eggs till the cows come home
    >to use it all up. Anyone got any other suggestions?

    Pepperoni Stew (as best I can remember. I haven't made it in a
    while).

    Cut pepperoni into 3/4" slices. (Pre-sliced works, but thicker slices
    are better). Sautee in a bit of oil in a saucepan or Dutch oven. Cut
    a few peeled potatoes into chunks and add to pan for a few minutes.
    Add some plain tomato sauce and about half that volume of water (this
    is really more of a soup). Simmer until the potatoes are just about
    cooked through, then add some Italian (flat) green beans (frozen
    works). Cook until tender. Serve with Italian bread.

    Sue(tm)

  11. Karen wrote:

    > DH bought a whole POUND of pepperoni last week and the only thing I
    > know how to do with it is to a)mix it with scrambled eggs and b)make
    > pepperoni pizza. We'd be eating pizza and eggs till the cows come home
    > to use it all up. Anyone got any other suggestions?

    Damsel's recipe for split pea soup:

    Spicy Split Pea Soup

    Recipe By :Damsel in dis Dress
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : legumes soups/chowders

    4 slices bacon
    6 ounces pepperoni -- 1/2" cubes
    5 medium carrots -- sliced 1/4" thick
    1 medium onion -- chopped fine
    1 clove garlic -- smashed and chopped
    16 ounces split peas
    5 cups water
    1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 bay leaf

    In a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, and set
    aside. Add pepperoni to the drippings, frying until browned; remove to
    large saucepan. Add onions and garlic to the drippings. Saute until
    onions become translucent, then add to the saucepan.

    Place dry split peas into the saucepan, along with the water. Add carrots,
    then stir in the herbs and spices.

    Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 45 minutes, or
    until peas just begin to break down. Add more water, if necessary. Remove
    bay leaf. Garnish each serving with crumbled bacon.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 237 Calories; 2g Fat (8.6% calories
    from fat); 16g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 16g Dietary Fiber; 3mg
    Cholesterol; 213mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1
    Vegetable; 0 Fat.

    Bob

  12. On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 19:15:15 -0500, Boron Elgar
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 16:11:29 -0800, serene <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 17:46:15 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>DH bought a whole POUND of pepperoni last week and the only thing I
    >>>know how to do with it is to a)mix it with scrambled eggs and b)make
    >>>pepperoni pizza. We'd be eating pizza and eggs till the cows come home
    >>>to use it all up. Anyone got any other suggestions?

    >>My sister made stromboli with it. Thaw frozen bread dough, press it
    >>flat, layer pepperoni and cheese on it, wrap it up into a wreath-like
    >>thing, bake slice.

    >Pepperoni freezes quite well all by itself.

    I meant to package it up and freeze half of it but it slipped my mind
    by ending up at the very back of the refrigerator when I unloaded the
    groceries... I entirely forgot it was there till yesterday!
    Tonight I made that baked potato 'salad' that was posted here this
    afternoon only I used pepperoni and canadian bacon instead of regular
    bacon. It was yummy! The stromboli sounds good... I might have to get
    some frozen bread dough just to make it :)

    --

  13. Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
    > DH bought a whole POUND of pepperoni last week and the only thing I
    > know how to do with it is to a)mix it with scrambled eggs and b)make
    > pepperoni pizza. We'd be eating pizza and eggs till the cows come home
    > to use it all up. Anyone got any other suggestions?

    I make baked ziti with pepperoni in it sometimes.

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  14. On Sun 05 Feb 2006 03:46:15p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Karen AKA
    Kajikit?

    > DH bought a whole POUND of pepperoni last week and the only thing I
    > know how to do with it is to a)mix it with scrambled eggs and b)make
    > pepperoni pizza. We'd be eating pizza and eggs till the cows come home
    > to use it all up. Anyone got any other suggestions?

    Pepperoni freezes well. Divide it up and freeze for future use. No rush.
    I've had bread with bits of pepperoni baked in it. Mostly, I use it for
    pizza, though.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  15. Kathy in NZ

    Kathy in NZ Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >DH bought a whole POUND of pepperoni last week and the only thing I
    >know how to do with it is to a)mix it with scrambled eggs and b)make
    >pepperoni pizza. We'd be eating pizza and eggs till the cows come home
    >to use it all up. Anyone got any other suggestions?
    >
    >--
    >~Karen aka Kajikit
    >Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
    >http://www.kajikitscorner.com
    >Online photo album - http://community.webshots.com/user/kajikit

    I also use it when making a tomato-based pasta sauce.

    1 onion, chopped roughly
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    chorizo or pepperoni, chopped
    1 450g can tomatoes
    dried or fresh basil to taste (I use lots)
    pasta (I usually use penne pasta)
    salt
    pepper

    saute garlic, pepperoni and garlic lightly. Add rest of ingredients.
    Simmer till liquid reduced to required consistency (about 30 mins).

    Add to cooked pasta as a sidedish. Leftover sauce freezes well.

  16. Karen AKA Kajikit <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email protected]:

    > DH bought a whole POUND of pepperoni last week and the only thing I
    > know how to do with it is to a)mix it with scrambled eggs and b)make
    > pepperoni pizza. We'd be eating pizza and eggs till the cows come home
    > to use it all up. Anyone got any other suggestions?

    Get some cheese (sharp cheddar) and crackers. I luvz pepperoni with cheese
    and crackers.

    Michael

    --
    “It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
    _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

  17. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]
    > Karen AKA Kajikit <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> DH bought a whole POUND of pepperoni last week and the only thing I
    >> know how to do with it is to a)mix it with scrambled eggs and b)make
    >> pepperoni pizza. We'd be eating pizza and eggs till the cows come home
    >> to use it all up. Anyone got any other suggestions?
    >>

    > Get some cheese (sharp cheddar) and crackers. I luvz pepperoni with cheese
    > and crackers.
    >
    > Michael

    The day before yesterday I have eaten some peperoni flans. They were
    paradisiac!
    Pandora

  18. On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 10:34:36 +0100, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Karen AKA Kajikit <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    >> news:[email protected]:
    >>
    >>> DH bought a whole POUND of pepperoni last week and the only thing I
    >>> know how to do with it is to a)mix it with scrambled eggs and b)make
    >>> pepperoni pizza. We'd be eating pizza and eggs till the cows come home
    >>> to use it all up. Anyone got any other suggestions?
    >>>

    >> Get some cheese (sharp cheddar) and crackers. I luvz pepperoni with cheese
    >> and crackers.
    >>
    >> Michael

    >The day before yesterday I have eaten some peperoni flans. They were
    >paradisiac!
    >Pandora

    Pandora, what the American call "pepperoni" has nothing to do with the
    Italian peperoni (which are called "bell peppers" in English) - it's
    the name of a sausage.

    Nathalie in Switzerland

  19. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Nathalie Chiva" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel
    messaggio news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 10:34:36 +0100, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>> Karen AKA Kajikit <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    >>> posted
    >>> news:[email protected]:

    >>> Get some cheese (sharp cheddar) and crackers. I luvz pepperoni with
    >>> cheese
    >>> and crackers.
    >>>
    >>> Michael

    >>The day before yesterday I have eaten some peperoni flans. They were
    >>paradisiac!
    >>Pandora

    > Pandora, what the American call "pepperoni" has nothing to do with the
    > Italian peperoni (which are called "bell peppers" in English) - it's
    > the name of a sausage.

    Ohhhhh! Pepperoni a sausage? Funny!
    Thank you Nathalie.
    And sorry to my friends!
    BTW it would be nice a "pepperoni-peperoni" sauce :DDDDD
    We have just invented it :DDDD
    Cheers
    Pandora

    > Nathalie in Switzerland

  20. whirlygirly

    whirlygirly Guest

    Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
    > DH bought a whole POUND of pepperoni last week and the only thing I
    > know how to do with it is to a)mix it with scrambled eggs and b)make
    > pepperoni pizza. We'd be eating pizza and eggs till the cows come home
    > to use it all up. Anyone got any other suggestions?

    Dice it and add it to pasta salad.

    becca
    --
    "I like that people say it's harder to quit smoking than to kick heroin.
    This makes me feel really good because now I know I can develop a heroin