What to say when passing

CycleSteve

Aug 21, 2003
I've stopped calling out "Passing on your left," since too many people actually first move to the left. Now I just say "Passing" or "Bike". Everybody moves to the right when I do that. (Also, it's easier to say when you're gasping for breath.)

if they are ramblers, the devils child, does it matter if they are in our way?? we wld only be doing other mountain bikers a favour! they ruin are trails and they enjoy walking! for this sin alone, they deserve nothing better than too be run over. However, if its a horse or something bigger than you, ur best option wld b to let it pass then shout ''w*nker'' as u ride off. Who agrees??? also when there f*cking dogs **** on our trails, i say we make them clean it up or lick it up, it takes ages to get **** outa my tyres, u rambler bastards.....

Originally posted by CycleSteve
I've stopped calling out "Passing on your left," since too many people actually first move to the left. Now I just say "Passing" or "Bike". Everybody moves to the right when I do that. (Also, it's easier to say when you're gasping for breath.)

Most people where I ride understand "Passing on your left." I always slow down, just in case they misunderstand and move to their left.

However, last week I encountered some "newbies." A husband and wife were walking down a very wide approach to an athletic complex. As I approached, I said "Passing on your left."

The man must have misunderstood what I said - no telling he thought. He said, a little angrily, "What did you say?" I repeated "I said I was going to pass on your left on a bike."

I guess he must have thought I insulted his wife or something.

In South Florida you just shout, "Armed." and everyone moves; otherwise you have to say it in English then Spanish.

Originally posted by Black Belt
In South Florida you just shout, "Armed." and everyone moves; otherwise you have to say it in English then Spanish.

If you really are a Black Belt, why not just yell "Black Belt!"

FYI, my daughter is a 2nd Dan Tae Kwon Do Black Belt and a three time U.S. National Junior Champion and the U.S. Cup International Junior Champion two years ago.

My defense against muggers is to jump behind her and say "Go get 'em!"

A couple of years ago when I first visited Australia I was hiking on a track in Lamington National Park. As I'm from Sweden (we also drive on the right) I subconsciously kept to the right side of the track when I approached a group of Aussies coming from the other direction. When they got closer I overheard their guide saying something like: Everyone go to the right, there are americans ahead (I rather resented that).

Conclusion: A large part of the worlds population drive on the other side of the road and will have aquired the habit to go left instead of right, maybe you just encountered someone visiting your country. :)

Others are just permanently lost in space and will veer in any arbitrary direction (plenty of those around as well)!?

;)

Originally posted by GeorgayPorgay
if they are ramblers, the devils child, does it matter if they are in our way?? we wld only be doing other mountain bikers a favour! they ruin are trails and they enjoy walking! for this sin alone, they deserve nothing better than too be run over. However, if its a horse or something bigger than you, ur best option wld b to let it pass then shout ''w*nker'' as u ride off. Who agrees??? also when there f*cking dogs **** on our trails, i say we make them clean it up or lick it up, it takes ages to get **** outa my tyres, u rambler bastards.....

To an extent I agree....Had a few dodgy experiences with Ramblers who seem not to like us bikers! Had some arrogant people who actually dont move at all.....u get wot im sayin? They bloody well stay put and dont move!

Grrr.....

Anyway I dont understand why people need dogs? Surely if its company u want go hit a chat room? Or get a goldfish, it's lower maintanance. Dog fowling is a major problem, especially when off roading at night. But more so is the problem of dogs chasing u as u go by. It can be off putting, and if ur locked in with SPDS then there is a serious chance of losing equilibrium.

Im in the habbit of actually changing the whole tyre instead of tryin to clean it and it really annoys me how dog owners turn a blind eye!

Here they say " good morning " or "hi there " ( in Spanish mostly )

Good manners cost nothing , you can always abuse them later if the need arises .

" Trust in Allah , but tie up your camel " arab proverb .

Originally posted by el Inglés
Here they say " good morning " or "hi there " ( in Spanish mostly )

Good manners cost nothing , you can always abuse them later if the need arises .

" Trust in Allah , but tie up your camel " arab proverb .

Intresting proverb. Intresting Ocupation. Ultimately it figures! May He have mercy on you!!!

In Australia (& the UK) we drive on the wrong side of the road. So does most of asia (and maybe South Africa - I don't know).

Anyway, the drama is always our natural tendency to move to the 'wrong' side of the track in Europe or the US.

You should try driving! Imagine changing gears with the wrong hand...... Bizarre.

In response to the original topic before it just went off completely, I always like to shout "AAAAARGH! NO BRAAAAAKES!!!"

Moves 'em every time!

I started using a bell while I was living in Japan. It worked well there (they drive on the left) and it works well here (Canada, we drive on the right).

I always just say passing, but it seems around here in the hills around Berkeley Ca. hardly anybody says anything they just pass go up the road a bit then slow down. I think they think they are to cool to talk. You get out of the east bay and the riders are much more friendly.

Although i usually say "on your left" as i approach, i'm told i'm so inaudible that i sound as if i'm just saying "left!"

On my mtn bike, i have a bell, and that helps a lot. I use the bell if I remember it. But having been on a road bike for a while that has no bell, I've thought about saying "ding ding ding!" because the bell definitely works better than "passing!" or "left!"

However, people on our trails are fairly good (as long as they don't have little kids). I just slow down a lot when there are kids and dogs--I figure, if I'm on a multi-use trail, I may as well slow down.

On the streets it's totally different. I say my usual "left!" (which is really, "on your LEFT!") and it doesn't seem to work at all, probably due to the other ambient noise in the area.

I have been soundly thrashed by one other biker, when I was passing going uphill, for not giving a good signal. I often repeat myself several times before I am actually passing, and have taken to lowering the register of my voice to be more contralto, which has better success. I think the problem is the increased speed and my voice's inability to carry over a longer distance.

Sometimes, I'll just draft momentarily, and backpedal so the biker can hear my freewheel behind him, figuring if he can't hear my voice amid the other traffic sounds, his ear might be attuned to my bike--it actually seems to work, but it isn't always possible to set things up this way.

Screaming out strange noises seams to work. Gets people looking at you and is a load of fun watching their reactions. Or if they dont move mow em down!!!