What to train on?

str8shooter

Jul 15, 2004
I'm planning to train indoors this winter. Not so much for racing, just to keep my weight down and stay toned for next season. Two questions come to mind.

1. What trainer should I buy magnetic, fluid or the combination of both?
Has anyone used the Performance Fluid Plus trainer? Any recommendations?

2.Which bike? My primary rider now is a Trek 5000 road bike. I also have a Trek 7200 hybrid that sees limited use. Does it really make much of a difference what you train on? I was planning on using the 7200 with the trainer. The riding position is so much different. I was just wondering if I'm going to train the same muscles used when riding the roadbike.
I really don't want to beat up the 5000 on the trainer. My wife was a little less than enthusiastic when I said I might want to buy another roadbike to train on and use as a backup. I just bought the 5000 last month.

What do you think:confused:
Thanks

Go the MTBR.com web site and look at the reviews of trainers...they are very thorough.

The one that seems to get the best reviews is the 1up trainer, $299US.

str8shooter said:
I'm planning to train indoors this winter. Not so much for racing, just to keep my weight down and stay toned for next season. Two questions come to mind.

2.Which bike? My primary rider now is a Trek 5000 road bike. I also have a Trek 7200 hybrid that sees limited use. Does it really make much of a difference what you train on? I was planning on using the 7200 with the trainer. The riding position is so much different. I was just wondering if I'm going to train the same muscles used when riding the roadbike.
I really don't want to beat up the 5000 on the trainer. My wife was a little less than enthusiastic when I said I might want to buy another roadbike to train on and use as a backup. I just bought the 5000 last month.

Thanks
I use a blackburn fluid trainer. Have used it with my myata road bike and my wifes 7200 trek. Comfortable ride on the hibryd, but I have a hard time being motivated riding indoors

I use a fluid trainer too - love it. But riding outside is king - I got some cold weather gear and decided to tough it out for this fall.

bikerbrian said:
I have a performance fluid trainer and love it. It works great and the price is right.
I've heard a lot of good things about the Performance fluid trainers. I see they have two models a fluid and a fluid plus. the plus seems to have fluid and mag resistance . Which model do you have?

Thanks

dont buy a new bike just for the trainer, thats silly. just get another rear tire since it might wear faster on the trainer. then ride the 5000.

Get on a rowing machine. As a former rower i just cant rate this machine highly enough. It's tough and you'll grow to hate it during sessions but it makes the difference. I'd recommend a Concept 2 ergometer. I've made a fairly decent transition from rowing to cycling and the hours spent on this machine have undoutedly improved my fitness.

I trained on a Cyclops fluid trainer after being off the saddle for more than a yr (I didn't want to get dropped on group rides) so I just trained indoors. I did get stronger, definitely. But I am thinking of getting a roller with wind resistance (Kreitler). Not only will it help you the "actual" road feel but it will give you some resistance. It may not offer the same level of resistance compared to the trainer but you can develop balance, handling, and leg spin. Either way, try to overcome boredome by imagining yourself on a group ride and doing the pulls. Keep pedaling!

str8shooter said:

Thanks

spacefuzz said:
dont buy a new bike just for the trainer, thats silly. just get another rear tire since it might wear faster on the trainer. then ride the 5000.
I really don't mind spending the money on another bike. Next year I plan on commuting back and forth to work. I'd feel much better about having a Trek 1200 or 1500 locked up to a bike rack outside the plant than my 5000. After riding a roadbike for just short of a couple months the 7200 isn't even an appealing ride anymore. Its probrably going up For Sale shortly.