What to upgrade first?

mlessor91

Jun 10, 2012
Hey everyone, I have a 2012 felt z85 and after completing my first summer of riding I am thinking of possible upgrades I can do over the winter. I am not looking to drop a ton of money since I am in college and poor :) possibly looking to ask for it from my gf who is a working woman lol. It's completely stock no upgrades, I have cycling computer and that's it. What should I upgrade? Clip less pedals Crank? Heard the Fsa one isn't great Brakes? Or anything else? Essentially I am a complete noob so any suggestions would be great along with the specific thing to upgrade too. Sorry for lengthiness and thanks in advance.

Clipless pedals- mtn styles if you plan to ride w/ friends, tour or walk around a lot when tou ride or road style if you're thinking about racing

BUT DO GET REGARDLESS- another set of wheels because that is what "fails" most, and a lighter high performance wheelset is the quickest most cost effective way to improve performance and many hp wheelsets are stronger than what comes on a bike of that cost. Get some tools and a work stand and learn how to use them for adjustments etc. they will pay for themselves many times I hate to say it but, ( having been a mechanic), paying a shop to maintain your bike is expensive.

Pat Stowe said:
Clipless pedals- mtn styles if you plan  to ride w/ friends, tour or walk around a lot when tou ride  or road style if you're thinking about racing BUT DO GET REGARDLESS- another set of wheels because that is what "fails" most, and a  lighter high  performance wheelset is the quickest most cost effective way to improve performance and many hp wheelsets are stronger than what comes on a bike of that cost. Get some tools and a work stand and learn how to use them for adjustments etc. they will pay for themselves many times I hate to say it but, ( having been a mechanic), paying a shop to maintain your bike is expensive.
What if his friends also ride with clipless road pedals? You got that he was a college student and poor, didn't you? Obviously you must have. That's why you gave him such a list of things he needs to buy.

rrQuote: Originally Posted by alienator .
tr
What if his friends also ride with clipless road pedals?to You got that he was a college student and poor, didn't you? Obviously you must have. That's why you gave him such a list of things he needs to buy.dn

I didn't intend he buy everything at once and he did ask for suggestions to improve performance, and he seems smart enough to improvise, to ask what to start with and able to make a good decision about what is most important to him. I "started out" with a Raleigh "carry-along" tool kiit and leather strap to hang the bike by it's saddle.

Before clipless pedals, I'd buy tools, and spend time on YouTube, sheldonbrown.com, parktool.com and anywhere else you can find how-tos on bike repair and maintenance. A couple hundred bucks on tools can pay for themselves pretty quickly when you don't have to drop $20 here and $50 there for repairs at the LBS that can be done for the cost of parts at home.

Wheels! Go with wheels!! I have this same bike as a trainer and upgrading to the Mavic Ksyrium Equipe helped a bunch (and this is still an entry level wheel for Mavic)... but was a big improvement over the stock CXP22.

As money allows:

Brakes. The stock generic ones don't have the stopping power for high-speed downhills. The Shimano 105 is a great deal for the money. In a cash crunch just replace the front one for starters as that is (should be anyway) your primary brake.

Crank. Keep the stock FSA crankset for now. If you ride it enough to need a new BB then maybe do the crank then and then go to Ultegra. Be prepared for some $$$ though.

Saddle: Replaced mine with a Prologo Scratch Pro.

Oh yeah... Pedals! Didn't realize you didn't have them. You have to start with pedals and Shimano 105 are good and reasonably priced. Make sure to have cleat position checked by a professional. And BTW... the bike was fitted to you right? If not spending some $$$ as necessary to get it fitted correctly could make a significant difference in your riding. More than most all of the upgrades mentioned here.

Originally Posted by dm1001 .

Wheels! Go with wheels!! I have this same bike as a trainer and upgrading to the Mavic Ksyrium Equipe helped a bunch (and this is still an entry level wheel for Mavic)... but was a big improvement over the stock CXP22.

As money allows:

Brakes. The stock generic ones don't have the stopping power for high-speed downhills. The Shimano 105 is a great deal for the money. In a cash crunch just replace the front one for starters as that is (should be anyway) your primary brake.

Crank. Keep the stock FSA crankset for now. If you ride it enough to need a new BB then maybe do the crank then and then go to Ultegra. Be prepared for some $$$ though.

Saddle: Replaced mine with a Prologo Scratch Pro.
Brakes can be upgraded by just improving the quality of the pads.

You can get a keg for the price of a decent set of pedals. Only you can decide.

Pedals are a big one.

What tires come stock on the Z85?

I would also consider wheels and a tighter range cassette, not many mountains in my neck of the woods.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Hookers & blow!
I can neither confirm nor deny but I suspect Tom Boonen approves this message.

OP, if you are on limited funds I would take credence in all the cleat/pedal recommendations. Either full blown road clipless, or if you are planning on doing more walking and/or tooling around maybe the SPD cleats with a something like a Shimano A520 pedal setup which I raced Cat5 road on for one season with a pair of Sidi Dominators when getting back into it, and which also have a large enough platform for regular shoes or sneakers when you don't feel like getting kitted up. I eventually needed/wanted the stiffness of an actual road shoe. However there's a ton of choices out there and something that is bound to meet your needs.

My 2011 came with Rubino Pros. Think they downgraded to the Zaffiro in 2012.

Pedals need cycling shoes. So it is not just the price of the pedals. Although woman love shoes and if the girlfriend is buying she will totally understand the shoes.

Originally Posted by davereo .

Pedals need cycling shoes. So it is not just the price of the pedals. Although woman love shoes and if the girlfriend is buying she will totally understand the shoes.
I purchased a pair of the first Shimano shoes back in the 90's, the silver deals with SPD on the road shoe. My girlfriend at the time promptly labeled them my "princess slippers". The shoes lasted longer than the GF.

Get Shimano SPD clipless pedals and shoes. SO you can walk to class with your SPD cleats on your shoes.

The Campy Scirocco is a good fast and strong budget wheel upgrade. I got mine for $270 shipped.

Originally Posted by cadseen .

For performance, always wheels and tyres.

AFClick.asp
yup, pretty much!