What to upgrade first?

Thanks for all the good advice, hookers, blow, kegs, that's already worked into tuition so no need to decide lol. I'm thinking of going with the pedals, now I have just the ones with the straps but still feel a lot of wasted power when lifting up on my pedal stroke. And I have seen on nashbar or even amazon, 105 and ultegra pedals, pedals are one thing, how much are the cleat portion attached to shoe? Or is that part of pedal purchase? When looking at lbs on own couldn't really tell. Thanks

I seem to remember my Shimano DA pedals coming with a set of cleats. However you should confirm (either w/the LBS, or the mail order place by phone). Someone else may know for sure.

danfoz said:
I seem to remember my Shimano DA pedals coming with a set of cleats. However you should confirm (either w/the LBS, or the mail order place by phone). Someone else may know for sure.
My Dura Ace pedals came with cleats. I can't think of any clipless pedals that don't come with cleats.

eQuote: Originally Posted by jpr95 .

Before clipless pedals, I'd buy tools, and spend time on YouTube, sheldonbrown.com, parktool.com and anywhere else you can find how-tos on bike repair and maintenance. A couple hundred bucks on tools can pay for themselves pretty quickly when you don't have to drop $20 here and $50 there for repairs at the LBS that can be done for the cost of parts at home.

You are so right!
For me it was before lycra, YouTube, sheldonbrown.com, parktool.com etc., ( not only the tools paid for themselves and later made me some money and led to working in shops, one even imported products and had worldwide customers, but that's another story...) I had the library and the far smaller but much closer knit cycling community with experienced riders who took the time to "pass down the wisdom and etiquette" to the new riders, too bad that tradition seems to have "passed". I see more people riding bikes in one afternoon or even hour now than I'd see in a month or more then, "riders" were really rare. Luckily we had a few people around like a frame builder/shop owner who had raced track against Jack Simes, "Old Man" Stetina etc. and worked with Albert Eisentraut and a man who qualified for the 1936 olympics, but couldn't afford to go, who incidentally "played" the Rainier Beer Brewmaster on Billboard and Television ads. Oh, the stories....

Quote: Originally Posted by danfoz

I *JUST* receved a new set of Shimano 520 SPD pedals (not even installed yet) and I can confirm there is a set of cleats/screws in the box with them.

105 and Ultegra virtually always come with cleats unless they were stripped out of the box for some other purpose. Make sure you get the yellow cleats which allow for some float ("play" in the system)... avoid the red cleats for fixed position. 105 best bang for the buck. Ultegra a few grams lighter with better bearings, neither of which will make you a better rider at this point.