What to use for cleaning rims?

brett wrote:
> I have a Trek 1200 road bike. What is good for cleaning the rim sides
> that the brake pads grab on to? I'd like them cleaned for better
> braking and looks (getting the black steaks off).
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

Better than fine steel wool (yikes) try pure baking soda. Take your
wheel off the bike and use wet baking soda and a rag. I rinse it off
with a hose and sprayer in the "mist" mode. Never going to force baking
soda past a seal that way.

This is what I use on the alloy rims on my car also. Never a scratch
just a polish. It is what aircraft maintenance workers use on engine
parts to remove burned on grime without harming the part. It is the
recommended pratice from Corning on how to clean their oven bakeware
without harming the surface. All that works for me. Just make sure you
do it somewhere that it doesn't matter that you're washing away baking
soda.

Cheers,

Haze