What to wear in Triathlon

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Aquaguru, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Aquaguru

Aquaguru New Member

Just wondering what you all wear when you race a Tri. Do you go all out with a wet suit and bike jersey? just a bike jersey and shorts, or shorts and a t-shirt.

Looking into my first Sprint Tri and just wondering what would be ok to wear.

Tags:

2. ambal

ambal Active Member

Just wear tri gear that suits the conditions. Anything like this is ok;

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. IndependentMind

IndependentMind New Member

My first year I was doing Tri shorts under the wetsuit and no Tri Jersey (meaning I would strip the wetsuit at transition and put on a Tri top). But I found this REALLY slowed me down in T1. You see, because I was wet the jersey was sticking to my body, my arms/shoulders were also fatigued from the swim so that didn't help things.

Since then what I've been wearing my tri shorts with a tri jersey under the wetsuit, and my T1 time has improved.

I like the Sugoi branded shorts and jerseys, BIG FAN. The stuff just fits well and the stitching is great, the jerseys also have two small pockets in the back for gels. Try to buy well fitted items, nothing baggy - only because the fabric will bunch up in the wetsuit giving you blisters. It's also not nice at all on the bike and run to have that material rubbing everywhere.

Try to buy off season online, you will save lots. If you can't get your hands on Sugoi tops I'm also a fan of the Craft branded jerseys (sleeveless) they are well built, and cost way less than Sugoi. And ofcourse don't wear this stuff when training, try (if you can) to have a set of clothing that you will only wear for racing, the point is to make it last.

As you can see I prefer the two piece option (sleeveless), lots of people wear the one piece in warmer climates and skip on the wetsuit, it's a little more expensive, but this REALLY cuts down on the transition time. I am however in Canada, so yeah enough said.

4. timbrwolf9

timbrwolf9 New Member

I am in a warmer climate and am thinking of getting a tri suit to wear next spring/summer when I do my first tri. One question and I realize this is odd, but what kind of undergarment do you wear with a tri suit? I wear boxer briefs with biking shorts currently when I ride, and a regular swimsuit when I swim. Haven't done those back to back yet.

5. IndependentMind

I don't wear any undergarments with my tri shorts and I wouldn't with a tri-suit.

The undergarment is going to soak up a lot of water and feel like a diaper for the rest of the race. It just wont dry at all, which will lead to blistering, you may as well throw some razor blades down there. I don't mean to be nasty, but I hope you get my drift. For long course I would be afraid of infections (a wet environment with blisters and in heat welcomes all sorts of bacteria).

The tri-suit (and tri short) has a shammy in it that needs to be in contact with your body to work properly, if you throw an undergarment between the contact points you're asking for trouble. Remember the garment will be WET after the swim, a tri garment is designed to dry on the bike, your briefs will prevent this from happening.

Some people wear the briefs because they probably feel self-conscious, but remember, everyone else is in lycra too. And nobody at the swim start will be staring at your junk (blunt, but true).

Trust me, your soft tissues will be a lot happier without the briefs.

TRI TIP: Invest in some bodyglide (my fav). It feels funny at first, but it makes a huge difference.

In closing, no more briefs, go buy some bodyglide and apply liberally.

6. Bikelux

Bikelux New Member

I've been triathloning in skin suits similar to the one pictured in the above post on the top left. I've found them to be the most comfortable and practical. You don't wear anything under them. They have a thin chamois. unlike your regular bike shorts.

Used to wear just speedo briefs and a tri top. which was fine for club competitions.(sprint distance)

Otherwise you could just wear what you train in, until you get the gist of it all, and then invest in race attire.

Have fun.

7. SCardamon

SCardamon New Member

8. SCardamon

SCardamon New Member

9. IndependentMind

Nice looking piece of kit, Garneau makes some really high quality stuff with really well designed leg grippers, I would put most of their lines above Castelli.

What material is the chamois? I just ordered a pair of Zoot tri shorts online that I'm greatly disappointed in, the chamois is really low end (I expected better for a $90 pair of shorts, mind you I got them 50% off).

The Garneau suit little steep at that price, but, it's going to last several seasons.

10. SCardamon

SCardamon New Member

11. bciocco

bciocco New Member

It all depends on what you are comfortable training in.
    I did my first sprint yesterday. It was a wetsuit swim (74*). I wore my jammers underneath and put running shorts over them after I took the wetsuit off. It was chilly, so I also put on a drifit shirt. I biked and ran in the swimsuit and shorts. I have never worn bike pants or anything with a chamois, so I didn't have any issues on the bike.
    I have a friend who trains in bike shorts and races in them as well. I don't think I would like the wet sponge under me, but it's fine for him. Others use the trisuit and love it.
    It's your race. Be comfortable and try a couple different things in training if you aren't sure what you like.

Train to race and race to win. But man, you have a heap of fun along the way. - from the Coach Jeff podcast

12. goldenmaine

goldenmaine New Member

[SIZE=11pt]You can wear a tri-suit all throughout the race. This saves you more time to dress and undress for the certain leg of the race. Some would wear a wetsuit during the swim part and a tri-suit underneath when they remove the wetsuit. Then the tri-suit is what they will be wearing from the bike to the run leg. [/SIZE]