What to wear under jersey?

JAF

Guest
What does everyone wear (if anything!) under their cycling jersey? For
shorther rides I used to wear a cotton T shirt but with longer rides I
find it gets sweaty and stays that way. Is there some sort of
singlet/vest that you can wear under the jersey that is made of that
'coolmax' type material?

My other problem is with the B&B style of shorts. I wore them last week
for the first time (work issue for the ATB) and while they were very
comfortable going to the toilet is a pain! Is there any special tricks,
or is the only way to go to the toilet to take your jersey off
completely, then pull down the shoulder straps?!

Any advice appreciated, James
:)

JAF wrote:
> What does everyone wear (if anything!) under their cycling jersey? For
> shorther rides I used to wear a cotton T shirt but with longer rides I
> find it gets sweaty and stays that way. Is there some sort of
> singlet/vest that you can wear under the jersey that is made of that
> 'coolmax' type material?
> My other problem is with the B&B style of shorts. I wore them last week
> for the first time (work issue for the ATB) and while they were very
> comfortable going to the toilet is a pain! Is there any special tricks,
> or is the only way to go to the toilet to take your jersey off
> completely, then pull down the shoulder straps?!
> Any advice appreciated, James
> :)

You can get undershirts from www.probikekit.com.au but they won't arrive
before the big day. I'd suggest ducking into Rebel and buying a running
shirt (tight) made out of Adidas' Coolmax or similar. Or you could just
wear a second jersey! :)

Go down to LBS and buy a thermal tshirt. To have a **** pull the leg up and
drop the old feller out. Simple solutions that will work on most days :)

"JAF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What does everyone wear (if anything!) under their cycling jersey? For
> shorther rides I used to wear a cotton T shirt but with longer rides I
> find it gets sweaty and stays that way. Is there some sort of
> singlet/vest that you can wear under the jersey that is made of that
> 'coolmax' type material?
>
> My other problem is with the B&B style of shorts. I wore them last week
> for the first time (work issue for the ATB) and while they were very
> comfortable going to the toilet is a pain! Is there any special tricks,
> or is the only way to go to the toilet to take your jersey off
> completely, then pull down the shoulder straps?!
>
> Any advice appreciated, James
> :)

"JAF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What does everyone wear (if anything!) under their cycling jersey? For

I wear nothing under my jersey. I thought the whole point of a
jersey was that it lets your sweat escape - putting things under
it would stop this effect, making you a soggy dude.

At the same time though, I've had a few people tell me at
races that I SHOULD wear a t-shirt (I guess coolmax etc
would be fine) under my jersey. It is supposed to reduce
the damage in the event of a crash by allowing the two
items to slide on one another, rather than on skin.

> My other problem is with the B&B style of shorts. I wore them last week
> for the first time (work issue for the ATB) and while they were very
> comfortable going to the toilet is a pain! Is there any special tricks,
> or is the only way to go to the toilet to take your jersey off
> completely, then pull down the shoulder straps?!

I still haven't got a pair of these but I'm glad I'm not the
only one who has puzzled over this issue! :)

hippy

JAF Simple!

Nothing wrong with using layers but cotton is not the answer. I keep it
simple and use both long sleeved or short sleeved thermal tops (try Paddy
Pallin etc) ie polypropolene etc, these do not absorb sweat and they allow
the jersey to still wick away the sweat, but get a good fit. Note: some
work better than others. Also black L/Sleeve tops look fine under a short
sleeve cycling jersey.

So it's toilet time and you have B&B shorts on. I pull jersey up a little
and there is enough stretch in the bib to pull down and find the old feller
and away we go. Other way is to simply pull up the leg. You would be
amazed how much these the shorts stretch.

Kevin

"JAF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What does everyone wear (if anything!) under their cycling jersey? For
> shorther rides I used to wear a cotton T shirt but with longer rides I
> find it gets sweaty and stays that way. Is there some sort of
> singlet/vest that you can wear under the jersey that is made of that
> 'coolmax' type material?
>
> My other problem is with the B&B style of shorts. I wore them last week
> for the first time (work issue for the ATB) and while they were very
> comfortable going to the toilet is a pain! Is there any special tricks,
> or is the only way to go to the toilet to take your jersey off
> completely, then pull down the shoulder straps?!
>
> Any advice appreciated, James
> :)

Even better - go to a camping or army disposal store and pick up a thermal
tshirt. They are generally cheaper than the LBS and have a bigger range as
well.

Which Company are you riding for JAF?

"Michael Day" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Go down to LBS and buy a thermal tshirt. To have a **** pull the leg up

and
> drop the old feller out. Simple solutions that will work on most days :)
>

> "JAF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > What does everyone wear (if anything!) under their cycling jersey? For
> > shorther rides I used to wear a cotton T shirt but with longer rides I
> > find it gets sweaty and stays that way. Is there some sort of
> > singlet/vest that you can wear under the jersey that is made of that
> > 'coolmax' type material?
> >
> > My other problem is with the B&B style of shorts. I wore them last week
> > for the first time (work issue for the ATB) and while they were very
> > comfortable going to the toilet is a pain! Is there any special tricks,
> > or is the only way to go to the toilet to take your jersey off
> > completely, then pull down the shoulder straps?!
> >
> > Any advice appreciated, James
> > :)
> >

> > --

and while they were very
> > comfortable going to the toilet is a pain! Is there any special tricks,

Grab an old bike tube, cut it in half, attach to old fella and dangle down
leg.
Used to work on The Hill at Sydney Cricket ground in the old days.
Beer in one hand, an esky that was limited to 24 cans only through the gate
and you never missed any of the footy action.

On the serious side cotton is a definite liability. Go for the polyesters
for wickability and quick drying.

JAF wrote:
> What does everyone wear (if anything!) under their cycling jersey?

What kind of jersy do you wear?
I thought the whole point of wearing them is that they are designed
to go against the skin. If its too cold, you need an outer layer,
not something under the jersey.
I use a sleeveless polyester fleece (polartek), but that wouldnt suit
racing. And a water/wind-proof jacket if its really cold.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll do some hunting around on
the weekend.

Which Company are you riding for JAF?

NAB - the kit kit the have given us is pretty good and it was free!
(although we had to pay our own entry fee)

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 16:45:09 +0950, JAF wrote:

> What does everyone wear (if anything!) under their cycling jersey? For
> shorther rides I used to wear a cotton T shirt but with longer rides I
> find it gets sweaty and stays that way. Is there some sort of singlet/vest
> that you can wear under the jersey that is made of that 'coolmax' type
> material?

From what I've read the whole point of the jersey is to wick
the sweat away from your body. So maybe wear two jerseys...

Or get a heavier material jersey - you might not be able to
get this in Aus. though. Have a look at european bike websites,
they should have their 'shoulder-season' gear out now.

I have a heavyweight jersey I bought in The Netherlands, it's
not much use here except for middle of winter, or cold spring
mornings. I also have a middle-weight MTB jersey, it's made of
stuff that feels a bit like flanellette(sp?) but is synthetic,
and according to the label was made in Poland.

> My other problem is with the B&B style of shorts. I wore them last week
> for the first time (work issue for the ATB) and while they were very
> comfortable going to the toilet is a pain! Is there any special tricks, or
> is the only way to go to the toilet to take your jersey off completely,
> then pull down the shoulder straps?!

Don't you wear the braces *over* your jersey?
That way you'd only have to slip the straps off your shoulders.

-kt