What to wear under jersey?

JAF

New Member
Sep 4, 2003
What does everyone wear (if anything!) under their cycling jersey? For shorther rides I used to wear a cotton T shirt but with longer rides I find it gets sweaty and stays that way. Is there some sort of singlet/vest that you can wear under the jersey that is made of that 'coolmax' type material?

My other problem is with the B&B style of shorts. I wore them last week for the first time (work issue for the ATB) and while they were very comfortable going to the toilet is a pain! Is there any special tricks, or is the only way to go to the toilet to take your jersey off completely, then pull down the shoulder straps?!

Any advice appreciated,
James
:)

Originally posted by JAF
What does everyone wear (if anything!) under their cycling jersey? For shorther rides I used to wear a cotton T shirt but with longer rides I find it gets sweaty and stays that way. Is there some sort of singlet/vest that you can wear under the jersey that is made of that 'coolmax' type material?

My other problem is with the B&B style of shorts. I wore them last week for the first time (work issue for the ATB) and while they were very comfortable going to the toilet is a pain! Is there any special tricks, or is the only way to go to the toilet to take your jersey off completely, then pull down the shoulder straps?!

Any advice appreciated,
James
:)

You can get undershirts from www.probikekit.com.au but they won't arrive before the big day. I'd suggest ducking into Rebel and buying a running shirt (tight) made out of Adidas' Coolmax or similar. Or you could just wear a second jersey! :)

Go down to LBS and buy a thermal tshirt. To have a **** pull the leg up and drop the old feller out.
Simple solutions that will work on most days :)

"JAF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> What does everyone wear (if anything!) under their cycling jersey? For shorther rides I used to
> wear a cotton T shirt but with longer rides I find it gets sweaty and stays that way. Is there
> some sort of singlet/vest that you can wear under the jersey that is made of that 'coolmax' type
> material?
>
> My other problem is with the B&B style of shorts. I wore them last week for the first time (work
> issue for the ATB) and while they were very comfortable going to the toilet is a pain! Is there
> any special tricks, or is the only way to go to the toilet to take your jersey off completely,
> then pull down the shoulder straps?!
>
> Any advice appreciated, James
> :)

"JAF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> What does everyone wear (if anything!) under their cycling jersey? For

I wear nothing under my jersey. I thought the whole point of a jersey was that it lets your sweat
escape - putting things under it would stop this effect, making you a soggy dude.

At the same time though, I've had a few people tell me at races that I SHOULD wear a t-shirt (I
guess coolmax etc would be fine) under my jersey. It is supposed to reduce the damage in the event
of a crash by allowing the two items to slide on one another, rather than on skin.

> My other problem is with the B&B style of shorts. I wore them last week for the first time (work
> issue for the ATB) and while they were very comfortable going to the toilet is a pain! Is there
> any special tricks, or is the only way to go to the toilet to take your jersey off completely,
> then pull down the shoulder straps?!

I still haven't got a pair of these but I'm glad I'm not the only one who has puzzled over this
issue! :)

hippy

JAF Simple!

Nothing wrong with using layers but cotton is not the answer. I keep it simple and use both long
sleeved or short sleeved thermal tops (try Paddy Pallin etc) ie polypropolene etc, these do not
absorb sweat and they allow the jersey to still wick away the sweat, but get a good fit. Note: some
work better than others. Also black L/Sleeve tops look fine under a short sleeve cycling jersey.

So it's toilet time and you have B&B shorts on. I pull jersey up a little and there is enough
stretch in the bib to pull down and find the old feller and away we go. Other way is to simply pull
up the leg. You would be amazed how much these the shorts stretch.

Kevin

"JAF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> What does everyone wear (if anything!) under their cycling jersey? For shorther rides I used to
> wear a cotton T shirt but with longer rides I find it gets sweaty and stays that way. Is there
> some sort of singlet/vest that you can wear under the jersey that is made of that 'coolmax' type
> material?
>
> My other problem is with the B&B style of shorts. I wore them last week for the first time (work
> issue for the ATB) and while they were very comfortable going to the toilet is a pain! Is there
> any special tricks, or is the only way to go to the toilet to take your jersey off completely,
> then pull down the shoulder straps?!
>
> Any advice appreciated, James
> :)

Even better - go to a camping or army disposal store and pick up a thermal tshirt. They are
generally cheaper than the LBS and have a bigger range as well.

Which Company are you riding for JAF?

"Michael Day" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Go down to LBS and buy a thermal tshirt. To have a **** pull the leg up
and
> drop the old feller out. Simple solutions that will work on most days :)
>

> "JAF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > What does everyone wear (if anything!) under their cycling jersey? For shorther rides I used to
> > wear a cotton T shirt but with longer rides I find it gets sweaty and stays that way. Is there
> > some sort of singlet/vest that you can wear under the jersey that is made of that 'coolmax' type
> > material?
> >
> > My other problem is with the B&B style of shorts. I wore them last week for the first time (work
> > issue for the ATB) and while they were very comfortable going to the toilet is a pain! Is there
> > any special tricks, or is the only way to go to the toilet to take your jersey off completely,
> > then pull down the shoulder straps?!
> >
> > Any advice appreciated, James
> > :)
> >

> > --

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll do some hunting around on the weekend.

Which Company are you riding for JAF?

NAB - the kit kit the have given us is pretty good and it was free! (although we had to pay our own entry fee)

JAF wrote:
> What does everyone wear (if anything!) under their cycling jersey?

What kind of jersy do you wear? I thought the whole point of wearing them is that they are designed
to go against the skin. If its too cold, you need an outer layer, not something under the jersey. I
use a sleeveless polyester fleece (polartek), but that wouldnt suit racing. And a water/wind-proof
jacket if its really cold.

and while they were very
> > comfortable going to the toilet is a pain! Is there any special tricks,

Grab an old bike tube, cut it in half, attach to old fella and dangle down leg. Used to work on The
Hill at Sydney Cricket ground in the old days. Beer in one hand, an esky that was limited to 24 cans
only through the gate and you never missed any of the footy action.

On the serious side cotton is a definite liability. Go for the polyesters for wickability and
quick drying.

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 16:45:09 +0950, JAF wrote:

> What does everyone wear (if anything!) under their cycling jersey? For shorther rides I used to
> wear a cotton T shirt but with longer rides I find it gets sweaty and stays that way. Is there
> some sort of singlet/vest that you can wear under the jersey that is made of that 'coolmax' type
> material?

From what I've read the whole point of the jersey is to wick the sweat away from your body. So maybe
wear two jerseys...

Or get a heavier material jersey - you might not be able to get this in Aus. though. Have a look at
european bike websites, they should have their 'shoulder-season' gear out now.

I have a heavyweight jersey I bought in The Netherlands, it's not much use here except for middle of
winter, or cold spring mornings. I also have a middle-weight MTB jersey, it's made of stuff that
feels a bit like flanellette(sp?) but is synthetic, and according to the label was made in Poland.

> My other problem is with the B&B style of shorts. I wore them last week for the first time (work
> issue for the ATB) and while they were very comfortable going to the toilet is a pain! Is there
> any special tricks, or is the only way to go to the toilet to take your jersey off completely,
> then pull down the shoulder straps?!

Don't you wear the braces *over* your jersey? That way you'd only have to slip the straps off your
shoulders.

-kt