what to wear under shorts

Orcanova said:
I never thought of wearing anything between me and the shorts. They are designed to be work agaisnt the skin.

I just biked the Blue Rodge Parkway a couple weeks ago...six days of riding and about 7-8 hours a day in the saddle. I did develop some saddle rash, even with chamois cream, becasue some seams of my chamois on one pair of shorts dry rotted and was a bit crackly.

I was considering wearing my shorts inside-out since the lycra surface seemed more inviting thqan the seams of my chamois. I never braved that becasue I didn't wnat to make things worse. It lead me to wonder why chamois aren't lined with somehting slick like lycra on both sides. Chaffing come from friction and moistire and I would think the friction would be reduced by the lycra. Just wondering why nobody has tried to revolutionize bike short designs. Everything else in cycling has been revolutionized recently.

I do have a pair of UnderArmor compression shorts at home that I got as a freebie, and may give them a try on a long ride. They come down the leg about as far as a pair or cycling shorts. I'll let you know how it works, but I won't take pics...
motion creates chafing, not the material. if the chamois was made of lycra it would be slipping all over your bits and pieces. a good chamois stays put.

cheapie said:
motion creates chafing, not the material. if the chamois was made of lycra it would be slipping all over your bits and pieces. a good chamois stays put.
Hmmm...well, I did say friction and moisture create chafing...so I guess you saying 'motion' is the same thing I was saying, but you raise an interesting counterpoint about staying put. If You are slipping with minimal friction that would be better than staying put, if staying put means being "anchored" in one spot while there is friction in the rotating parts of the inner thighs.

In that sense, your ass might be staying put on the saddle, but if a seam is rubbing up and down on your inner thigh with each pedal revolution, that is a recipe for disaster. You tend to put a lot of thought to these things when you are in the saddle for 7+ hours a day and you are trying to solve your chafing issues.

What has worked for you on muti-day riding...?

I will say that the material does make a difference, I am curious why you say it doesn't?

(re-reading my original post...sorry for the bad typing)

Orcanova said:
In that sense, your ass might be staying put on the saddle, but if a seam is rubbing up and down on your inner thigh with each pedal revolution, that is a recipe for disaster. You tend to put a lot of thought to these things when you are in the saddle for 7+ hours a day and you are trying to solve your chafing issues.
Obviously, there has to be motion of the legs to move the bike. What you want to have is no difference in the motion of the skin and the motion of the material. If the seam moves with the skin instead of the seam sliding across the skin as the legs move, there will be no chafing. The skin and fabric should move as one.

RickF said:
Obviously, there has to be motion of the legs to move the bike. What you want to have is no difference in the motion of the skin and the motion of the material. If the seam moves with the skin instead of the seam sliding across the skin as the legs move, there will be no chafing. The skin and fabric should move as one.
exactly. i'm not saying that fabric doesn't make a difference. i'm saying that a chamois is designed to stay with the skin as it moves, not slide back and forth on it during motion.

Aussie Steve said:
OK they're not called Biking Shorts. Knicks is the name.
You can get Bib & Brace Knicks, or normal Knicks.
============================================================
Here in the colonies we call them CYCLING SHORTS or if bibs BIB SHORTS.
Knicks? What are Knicks?:confused: Is that short for Knickers - they're what women wear and we wished they wouldn't:)