What to you consume while riding?

danielwilgocki said:
Check out the ingredients Powerade uses a cheeper sweetener (high fructose corn syrup) while gatorade uses alternate sweeteners (sucrose I believe) which is suposed to not slow gastric emptying as much as the fruit juice based drinks.
So fruit juice slows gastric emptying? This is new to me. Where can I find out more?

Accelerade out of my bottles. I buy the powder online and then mix it in the water bottles before I go out. (I just moved into an apartment with a dishwasher -- this makes a huge difference, as the bottles taste funny unless you boil them or run them through the DW).

Note to curious: the accelerade tastes funny, but I feel like it works. The mix of protein and carbs, vs. just carbs (IE, Gatorade -- which I love the taste of) really does seem to add something, particularly on longer rides.

Might just be placebo, but if that works, then I'll take it, too!

Cheers.

dwj444 said:
Accelerade out of my bottles. I buy the powder online and then mix it in the water bottles before I go out. (I just moved into an apartment with a dishwasher -- this makes a huge difference, as the bottles taste funny unless you boil them or run them through the DW).

Note to curious: the accelerade tastes funny, but I feel like it works. The mix of protein and carbs, vs. just carbs (IE, Gatorade -- which I love the taste of) really does seem to add something, particularly on longer rides.

Might just be placebo, but if that works, then I'll take it, too!

Cheers.
I have recently gone from using powerade to High 5 isotonic. it is slightly more expesive but taste better and in the powder form comes in alot more flavors. also you can by single seve sachels which are perfect for 750ml bottles; they fit in the jersey pockets for refills on long rides.

the high 5 gels are also quite good, they dont have that clag taste to them.

Rides around 1 hour
Powergel or ClifShot

2 hours
I add in a Clif or Powerbar.

Century
At least one gel/hour and a few Clif or Powerbars.

Water seems to be the best for me so that's all I drink while riding. It's cheap too!

Dominic Sansom said:
What do you eat and drink while you're riding?
I eat a LOT while I ride. I often go out early and end up eating breakfast and/or lunch on the bike, so I'm sort of eating my normal meal/day-to-day calories and the bike/exercise calories at the same time. I find that if I don't eat (and drink) a lot I get terrible migraine headaches that last until a few hours after I eat enough to catch up. I'm also hypo-glycemic so that doesn't help.

On early morning rides I'll typically eat two pieces of plain bread then go out at for 2-4 hours. If it's on the longer end I'll try to eat 300-500 calories an hour, that's 2 or 3 gels (GU is the best in chocolate or plain, IMO) plus a Clif bar. Sometimes I'll throw in an Enervitene (sp?) Cheerpack which is about 500 calories of fast absorbing liquid. If I ever forget to keep that up on rides that are in the 3-8 hour range I'll get shaky, get a headache, get intense cramping and once or twice I've gotten delerious.

At night on recovery days I'll often do an easy 90-120 minutes on a trainer and then I'll just eat a single Clif or Powerbar and drink plain water

I've found I can eat or drink almost anything and digest it while I'm riding with the exception of protein powders mixed with milk which make me throw up once my HR goes over 170.

On the road I usually drink gatorade (BTW you can buy the powder at Costco). I usually drink about 1 to 1.5 tall bottles per hour. I've gotten some free bottles of GU20 which is really a pain to use since it doesn't desolve very easily. On rides over 4 hours I need to take either salt tablets or eat something really salty like trailmix or nuts.

corin said:
I eat a LOT while I ride. I often go out early and end up eating breakfast and/or lunch on the bike, so I'm sort of eating my normal meal/day-to-day calories and the bike/exercise calories at the same time. I find that if I don't eat (and drink) a lot I get terrible migraine headaches that last until a few hours after I eat enough to catch up. I'm also hypo-glycemic so that doesn't help.

Hi Corin,

I was interested to read this. I find it difficult to eat on the bike and often get headaches during the end of a ride or a while after the rides finished. Are the headaches a symptom. for you, of hypo-glycemia?

Iona

Hi Corin,

I was interested to read this. I find it difficult to eat on the bike and often get headaches during the end of a ride or a while after the rides finished. Are the headaches a symptom. for you, of hypo-glycemia?

Iona[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the headaches are kind of a common thing for people with blood sugar problems to start with. I do find however that the problems are greatly amplified by exercise, especially long periods of exercise. The hydration thing is not tied to hypo-clycemia but it too seems to cause headaches though not nearly as bad as not getting enough calories. In addition to headaches, getting the shakes and being (sometimes very) cold even in very hot weather are common symptoms (sp?). If you push it too far you'll pass out in go into something sort of like a diabetic coma, but that's an extreme case.

Some people have a hard time digesting while they ride. Fortunately I can eat most things without a problem, sometimes I probably even eat more than 500 carlories per hour and it all seems to digest. Some sports physiologists have said you can't digest more than 500 calories per hour, my personal experience on rides upto 10 hours seems to dispute this.

A couple years ago I ran into a couple guys who competed in 24 hour mountain bike races. They all agreed that they eat a ton on the bike and even more when they finish. The common thread of advice was to try eating lots of different things. What makes me throw up might be the perfect bike food for you. They ate all sorts of things like the ones mentioned earlier in this thread. They also recommended trying, hard boiled eggs, pop tarts - too sweet for me, PB&J's (I can do these where they are provided along the way, but when I pack them they end up smeared all over the baggie - too much jam I guess), grop/trail mix which I can only take in small doses, sandwich meat with or without the bread, and all the usual bars, gels and liquids of which the best one that I hadn't tried for lots of calories was Enervitene that I guess a lot of people in Europe use but it's hard to find here. One of these guys said that he eats upwards of 700 calories an hour during a 24 hour race. He said he knows he's absorbing most of it since not much comes out the other end...

All of the above .... depends on the ride.

Usual I have two bottles of water (iced if it is hot), and on longer rides I will do Gatorade/Powerade, have a gel or two, or a banana or two, and bring some cash along to stop at a convenience store along the ride.

Anything less than 30 miles is just water ........

corin said:
If I ever forget to keep that up on rides that are in the 3-8 hour range I'll get shaky, get a headache, get intense cramping and once or twice I've gotten delerious....At night on recovery days I'll often do an easy 90-120 minutes on a trainer and then I'll just eat a single Clif or Powerbar and drink plain water....
:eek: Where do you get the TIME for all these long rides? I am gasping after 1 hour on an indoor trainer. You must be in Olympic shape. I was blown away with my progress of a 45 mile ride last week! I have a long way to go I guess.

Anyway, ludicrous though it is for a newbie like me to be participating in this (I have only been on 4 rides in my life!) I think Raspberry Gu is delicious!! Vector bars seem to have a tonne of nutrients and fibre in them, and are rather tasty too.

I enjoy drinking lemon water. Basically, either put fresh lemons in your waterbottles with the water, or lemon juice works good too. Its a nice soothing feeling when you drink the lemon water when you lungs are dry and sore. Almost as if you are drinking some of that soothing tea that people drink when they have sore throats. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Ok, on my last ride which was 3 hours and 45 minutes this is what I brought and consumed.

3 28oz bottles mixed with gatorade
1 28oz bottle of pure water
2 cliff bars
1 cliff shot

At the end of the ride I had about half of the bottle of pure water left. This ride was a zone 2 endurance ride with an average speed of 17.3 mph. Not very hard, but not too easy.

I always bring 28oz of fluid per hour for my rides and usually some additional fluid. For example, for a 2 hour ride I'll bring 2 28oz bottles of gatorade and a 21oz of pure water in addition. And if I ride 2 or more hours I eat something. Usually a cliff bar or a shot per hour.

juf2m said:
:eek: Where do you get the TIME for all these long rides? I am gasping after 1 hour on an indoor trainer. You must be in Olympic shape. I was blown away with my progress of a 45 mile ride last week! I have a long way to go I guess.

Anyway, ludicrous though it is for a newbie like me to be participating in this (I have only been on 4 rides in my life!) I think Raspberry Gu is delicious!! Vector bars seem to have a tonne of nutrients and fibre in them, and are rather tasty too.

Most of the time comes out of when I should be sleeping... I do all my rides on the trainer from about 10-midnight and the outdoor rides usually start right around sunrise. I only get in about one or two rides a month longer than 4 hours. That's all the hall passes I get ;-) Riding on trainers is a lot harder than riding on the road because of all kinds of factors like not getting any coast time, overheating, boredom, not being in as many positions on the bike, etc...

Well, that's dedication! I agree about the indoor trainer, I find it a form of torture actually....

Water mostly and POCARI SWEAT, its the Japanese version of gatoraid,stop by a Japanese supermarket if you are kucky enough to have one, chances are they sell it or move to Japan. Not real sweet like some energy drinks that taste like fruit punch.

Cheers

adam
Dominic Sansom said:
What do you eat and drink while you're riding?

theyoungkid said:
I drink water, sometime propell if I am desperate, gatorade(both of the aboce are really to sugary should start making it with the powdered stuff) and everyone once in a while a ride home ,and grab a piece of cakee... dam I love cake they should make portable cake bars, damn I would buy a few thousand of those lol

I think white wings (think thats who it is) make cake bars, thats in Australia tho but i reckon theyred be in the US too.

I always take 2 bottles water, 1 bottle lemon lime gatorade, 2 slightly overcooked nuked potatoes wrapped in tin foil, 2 peanut butter powerbars, and a little cash in case I need to stop at a 7 eleven or something for more water or whatever. Sometimes it doesn't all get consumed, but it sucks to not have it if I need it. That much will usually get me through 50-75 miles. Never go anywhere without those taters, they are like an extension to my breakfast. They usually get eaten after about an hour to hour and a half into the ride.

Brunswick_kate said:
Water....a fair number of black flies and mosquitoes. One butterfly but it made me cough too much.
i find you can prevent that if you push your tongue to the back of your upper front teeth if your pushing hard and you happen to have your mouth wide open, i had a similar diet to that during the summer.

Yakkk! worse than a mouth full of pubic hair.

crees22 said:
Been riding for a couple of years now but have never really touched any energy bars etc... Today ive just bought myself a couple of sachets of go-gel to see if it makes any difference to my energy levels. For you lot that take energy bars gels etc... Can you notice a big difference between doing a long ride with/without these?

not anything different than if I had something like a peanut butter jelly sandwich, but I often find the energy bars are tastier and less messy after hanging out in my jersey for a few hours. Esp if I am drinking sports drink.

also seems to digest easy on the bike.

kgruscho said:
not anything different than if I had something like a peanut butter jelly sandwich, but I often find the energy bars are tastier and less messy after hanging out in my jersey for a few hours. Esp if I am drinking sports drink.

also seems to digest easy on the bike.
Strange this, but going back to the pronutro mentioned earlier. Its a breakfast cereal here in South Africa which was ostensibly developed as a nutrition aid for the poor... A cycling magazine here had an article on it and mentioned that because of the number of added vitamins and minerals etc it can't be classed as a cereal in other countries and has to be sold as a sports supplement... So if you want to find it elsewhere (I know in Australia) look in sports stores! Though no doubt it is overpriced there (normal cereal price here)...
As to what I have, a weak powerade mix in all bottles except the first which has some added carbohydrates. Food is generally banana's and energy bars (still trying to find easiest to chew and digest, enervit is the best so far, but its not cheap!