What to you consume while riding?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by ::dom::, Jul 22, 2004.

1. OCRoadie

OCRoadie New Member

On rides an hour or less 1 Carb Boom gel right before the ride and 1 bottle of water. For the longer rides I alternate 1 bottle of Power Bar Endurance drink mix and then one bottle of water. I'll have a Carb Boom Gel every hour to hour and a half. I bring Fig Newtons and eat one when I hit red lights. Once in a while I'll have a Cliff Bar, I usually save that for after the ride, then I eat anything in sight:D . I also use the Power Bar Recovery drink mix, I don't really know if it helps much, but it doesn't seem to hurt.

2. Ottis

Ottis New Member

Alsways water and sometimes some fruits like bananas or apples. Sometimes i buy power bars or something similar in store when going back. :)

3. mogulhead

mogulhead New Member

Vegemite sandwiches with white bread, bananas and jelly babies for the last hour or two of a long ride.

4. lonz

lonz New Member

Since my comute is just 30 minutes i just drink water but plenty since i live in a small mediteranean island called malta and it is quite hot i have to drink plenty.

5. CycleFreakLS

CycleFreakLS New Member

Water

If over 2 hrs, excessive heat, or lots of climbing: Cytomax (enhanced), Water, Clif Bars, Fig Newtons, banana.

6. James Felstead

James Felstead New Member

Water, Bananas and Malt Loaf - that stuff's packed with energy and doesn't taste like poo!

7. lucien2

lucien2 New Member

Prunes, baby! :D

Like one or two per hour. The have potassium, calories, and carbs. They're easy to pack, tasty, and a terrific self contained boost. With the amount of water I consume on a ride, the...er....fiber issues are irrelevant. I like the citrus essence ones the best.

8. tyler_derden

tyler_derden New Member

Dilithium crystals!

TD

9. fondriest

fondriest New Member

Mmmmmmmmm malt loaf :D

10. Kenman

Kenman New Member

Miles and miles of Tarmac

11. sumoe

sumoe New Member

For regular rides, I have breakfast, lunch or dinner. Drink water on the ride. If you are not already carbo-loaded, it's too late. But, for races, I like honey-water (half honey, half water) or a honey product such as Ginsting. You can get amazingly fast on honey!

For a total bonk, I have used a Milky Way candy bar washed down with V-8 juice....works good!

sue

12. bikeshop

bikeshop New Member

Im a big fan of Powerbars Endurance and Recovery drinks. They were co-developed by Chris Carmichael (Lances coach). Work really well for me.
    www.the-bike-shop.com/training

13. Mike_Rides_Red

Mike_Rides_Red New Member

I always have energy gels about every 45 min while riding.
    Instead of drinking gatorade i mix 4 teaspons of honey into 2 cups of water and it is some really good stuff.

14. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

pity they are not available in Australia and having spoken to the importer most likely never will. This also goes for most of the powerbar and powergel flavors. :mad:

15. William Henry

William Henry New Member

If you dont consume sodium if you are riding for over 2 hours then you can pass out and get seriously hurt because you are a moron if you dont drink anything over that long period of exercising.:rolleyes:

16. closesupport

closesupport Banned

Still got to say that Carbosport Drinks, with Deoralyte, Electrolyte replacers is by far the best aproach to maintaining a better fluid balance, i always find that its like a searge of fresh energy to those weakening thighs and endurance rides seem that little easier when i ride with that mixture :)

you can ride on the carb drink alone, but thats like driving the car on petrol, but when its introduced with the deoralyte its like adding a nitrous to the mixture, its only lasts a short period of time but you deffinately feel the difference.

make your own gels? GI+ Recepies look them up on the net,

17. Cyclist14

Cyclist14 New Member

You will not pass out if you do not consume sodium for 2 hours you will just dehydrate and feel slightly dizzy:rolleyes: . Always try to drink at least a liter an hour.

18. Euphoric

Euphoric New Member

ahah, old.
    But I drink Gatorade or ENERVIT g sport.

plain water is grose IMO. makes me feel bloated and like puking and if I drink just plain water i typically get a headache. I need the sugar etc from the sports drinks.

the new enervit works wonders actually. just as good as gatorade for me but not as sweet(and to some that really matters)

19. shannons dad

shannons dad New Member

I don't bother with all those fancy drinks and carbo bars. Put a few teaspoons of sugar in your water and shake it up, it has the same effect, and a few cheap cereal bars do the same job as the pricy ones for far less money.

20. LindaNo1

LindaNo1 New Member

In my opinion, Gatorade tastes like the Spawn of the Devil!