What to you consume while riding?

On rides an hour or less 1 Carb Boom gel right before the ride and 1 bottle of water. For the longer rides I alternate 1 bottle of Power Bar Endurance drink mix and then one bottle of water. I'll have a Carb Boom Gel every hour to hour and a half. I bring Fig Newtons and eat one when I hit red lights. Once in a while I'll have a Cliff Bar, I usually save that for after the ride, then I eat anything in sight:D . I also use the Power Bar Recovery drink mix, I don't really know if it helps much, but it doesn't seem to hurt.

Alsways water and sometimes some fruits like bananas or apples. Sometimes i buy power bars or something similar in store when going back. :)

Vegemite sandwiches with white bread, bananas and jelly babies for the last hour or two of a long ride.

Since my comute is just 30 minutes i just drink water but plenty since i live in a small mediteranean island called malta and it is quite hot i have to drink plenty.

Water

If over 2 hrs, excessive heat, or lots of climbing: Cytomax (enhanced), Water, Clif Bars, Fig Newtons, banana.

Prunes, baby! :D

Like one or two per hour. The have potassium, calories, and carbs. They're easy to pack, tasty, and a terrific self contained boost. With the amount of water I consume on a ride, the...er....fiber issues are irrelevant. I like the citrus essence ones the best.

For regular rides, I have breakfast, lunch or dinner. Drink water on the ride. If you are not already carbo-loaded, it's too late. But, for races, I like honey-water (half honey, half water) or a honey product such as Ginsting. You can get amazingly fast on honey!

For a total bonk, I have used a Milky Way candy bar washed down with V-8 juice....works good!

sue

I always have energy gels about every 45 min while riding.
Instead of drinking gatorade i mix 4 teaspons of honey into 2 cups of water and it is some really good stuff.

bikeshop said:
Im a big fan of Powerbars Endurance and Recovery drinks. They were co-developed by Chris Carmichael (Lances coach). Work really well for me.
www.the-bike-shop.com/training

pity they are not available in Australia and having spoken to the importer most likely never will. This also goes for most of the powerbar and powergel flavors. :mad:

If you dont consume sodium if you are riding for over 2 hours then you can pass out and get seriously hurt because you are a moron if you dont drink anything over that long period of exercising.:rolleyes:

William Henry said:
If you dont consume sodium if you are riding for over 2 hours then you can pass out and get seriously hurt because you are a moron if you dont drink anything over that long period of exercising.:rolleyes:
Still got to say that Carbosport Drinks, with Deoralyte, Electrolyte replacers is by far the best aproach to maintaining a better fluid balance, i always find that its like a searge of fresh energy to those weakening thighs and endurance rides seem that little easier when i ride with that mixture :)

you can ride on the carb drink alone, but thats like driving the car on petrol, but when its introduced with the deoralyte its like adding a nitrous to the mixture, its only lasts a short period of time but you deffinately feel the difference.

make your own gels? GI+ Recepies look them up on the net,

William Henry said:

You will not pass out if you do not consume sodium for 2 hours you will just dehydrate and feel slightly dizzy:rolleyes: . Always try to drink at least a liter an hour.

ahah, old.
But I drink Gatorade or ENERVIT g sport.

plain water is grose IMO. makes me feel bloated and like puking and if I drink just plain water i typically get a headache. I need the sugar etc from the sports drinks.

the new enervit works wonders actually. just as good as gatorade for me but not as sweet(and to some that really matters)

I don't bother with all those fancy drinks and carbo bars. Put a few teaspoons of sugar in your water and shake it up, it has the same effect, and a few cheap cereal bars do the same job as the pricy ones for far less money.