What tool(s) do I need to remove this freewheel ?

David Lowther

Guest
This a 7 speed Shimano block from a ~10 year old off road bike (Giant X400).

I want to strip down the rear axle to put some new grease in.

I'm familiar with removing Shimano / Campag free hub style cassette + lock
ring, and the old style freewheel in a single block.

This looks like a mixture of an old style freewheel block (the two dimples
in the outer face plate), but also appears to have a lock ring.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2vbmho

http://tinyurl.com/2vbmho

Am I correct in thinking that I have to remove the block before I can remove
the axle ?

In any case, I'd like to know what tools I need to remove the freewheel and
how to remove it ?

TIA.

Dave.

David Lowther pretended :
> This a 7 speed Shimano block from a ~10 year old off road bike (Giant X400).
>
> I want to strip down the rear axle to put some new grease in.
>
> I'm familiar with removing Shimano / Campag free hub style cassette + lock
> ring, and the old style freewheel in a single block.
>
> This looks like a mixture of an old style freewheel block (the two dimples in
> the outer face plate), but also appears to have a lock ring.
>
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/2vbmho
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2vbmho
>
> Am I correct in thinking that I have to remove the block before I can remove
> the axle ?

You'd be well advised to do so, though depending upon whether the cones
have integrates dust seals you might at a pinch be able to do the job
without removing it. It's hard to get to the bearings with the
freewheel in the way, but not impossible unless there are said
integrated dust seals, which will prevent the cone from passing the
freewheel.

> In any case, I'd like to know what tools I need to remove the freewheel and
> how to remove it ?

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/shimano_ug_freewheel_tool.html

This will slide over over the axle and into the freewheel. Place the
tool in a vice and turn the wheel anti-clockwise. Freewheels can be a
bit tight, but the Shimano UG fitting is one of the least likely to
cause you any real problems.

HTH.

--
Simon

Simon D wrote:

>David Lowther pretended :
>> This a 7 speed Shimano block from a ~10 year old off road bike (Giant X400).
>>
>> I want to strip down the rear axle to put some new grease in.
>>
>> I'm familiar with removing Shimano / Campag free hub style cassette + lock
>> ring, and the old style freewheel in a single block.
>>
>> This looks like a mixture of an old style freewheel block (the two dimples in
>> the outer face plate), but also appears to have a lock ring.

It's just one of teh many ways that you can build a freewhweel. The
individual sprockets slotted onto the freewheel body and were secured
with a lockring. Shimano then thought, "Hey, why not build the
freewheel into the hub?" And the freehub was born...

>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/2vbmho
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2vbmho
>>
>> Am I correct in thinking that I have to remove the block before I can remove
>> the axle ?

>> In any case, I'd like to know what tools I need to remove the freewheel and
>> how to remove it ?
>>

>http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/shimano_ug_freewheel_tool.html
>
>This will slide over over the axle and into the freewheel. Place the
>tool in a vice and turn the wheel anti-clockwise. Freewheels can be a
>bit tight, but the Shimano UG fitting is one of the least likely to
>cause you any real problems.

For some reason that site is borked on Firefox

Park's own page of their FR1 which will remove any Shimano freewheel
made since 1985 is here:
http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=4&item=FR-1

They even have a picture of it with a freewheel like the one the OP
wants to shift.

Park also have instructions on how to do it
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=48

"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Simon D wrote:
>
>>David Lowther pretended :
>>> This a 7 speed Shimano block from a ~10 year old off road bike (Giant
>>> X400).
>>>
>>> I want to strip down the rear axle to put some new grease in.
>>>
>>> I'm familiar with removing Shimano / Campag free hub style cassette +
>>> lock
>>> ring, and the old style freewheel in a single block.
>>>
>>> This looks like a mixture of an old style freewheel block (the two
>>> dimples in
>>> the outer face plate), but also appears to have a lock ring.

> It's just one of teh many ways that you can build a freewhweel. The
> individual sprockets slotted onto the freewheel body and were secured
> with a lockring. Shimano then thought, "Hey, why not build the
> freewheel into the hub?" And the freehub was born...
>
>>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/2vbmho
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/2vbmho
>>>
>>> Am I correct in thinking that I have to remove the block before I can
>>> remove
>>> the axle ?

>>> In any case, I'd like to know what tools I need to remove the freewheel
>>> and
>>> how to remove it ?
>>>

>>http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/shimano_ug_freewheel_tool.html
>>
>>This will slide over over the axle and into the freewheel. Place the
>>tool in a vice and turn the wheel anti-clockwise. Freewheels can be a
>>bit tight, but the Shimano UG fitting is one of the least likely to
>>cause you any real problems.

> For some reason that site is borked on Firefox
>
> Park's own page of their FR1 which will remove any Shimano freewheel
> made since 1985 is here:
> http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=4&item=FR-1
>
> They even have a picture of it with a freewheel like the one the OP
> wants to shift.
>
> Park also have instructions on how to do it
> http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=48
> --
> Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

Simon / Phil,

Thanks very much for the help.

Best Regards.

Dave.