What tools do I need to work on my bike...?

Holden

Guest
I posted this on another group, and it was suggested I try her:

I would like to start "turning a wrench" at home. I have a nice work
stand, but no tools. I have kestrel/orbea frames w/ shimano components.
I have threadless headsets.
I have looked around at different "tool kits" by Park, Pedros,
Peformance, Nashbar, etc. but after reading some posts most folks say
you only need a few tools to do most jobs and some of the kits have
unnecessary or inferior tools.
What tools *exactly* will I need to do most maintenance jobs, up to and
including removing chain for cleaning and making any other adjustments
in the drivetrain.
Also, should I stick w/ Park tools?? any other brands OK?

Thanks,

Holden at [email protected] wrote on 12/24/04 8:32 AM:
> I would like to start "turning a wrench" at home. I have a nice work
> stand, but no tools. I have kestrel/orbea frames w/ shimano components.
> I have threadless headsets.
> I have looked around at different "tool kits" by Park, Pedros,
> Peformance, Nashbar, etc. but after reading some posts most folks say
> you only need a few tools to do most jobs and some of the kits have
> unnecessary or inferior tools.
> What tools *exactly* will I need to do most maintenance jobs, up to and
> including removing chain for cleaning and making any other adjustments
> in the drivetrain.
> Also, should I stick w/ Park tools?? any other brands OK?

Park tools work well, and their website has a good reference on tool needs
for specific jobs.

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/toollists.shtml

"...most maintenance jobs" could mean a lot of different things depending
upon your needs. But, you'll need these definitely...

- Standard metric hex wrench set with a bondhaus end (rounded)
- 3 Way hex wrench (keeps the most common sizes together)
- Good quality chain tool
- Cone wrenches
- 8/10, 9/11 open & closed ended wrenches (the Park ones are nice & narrow)
- Pedal wrench

I also find cable cutters to be indispensible, because wire cutters will
make a mash out of the woven brake and cable ends.
Bottom bracket tools are helpful, when you want to mess with that - you'll
probably need a crank puller and the appropriate BB tool for
removal/adjustment. Plus, you'll need a ratchet handle for the BB tool, if
you don't have one.
A box, bag or wrap to keep your bike tools away from other tools (or curious
little hands).

YMMV, but that should get you started.

Oh, be careful putting that Kestrel in the stand - nothing sounds worse than
crunched carbon...clamp the seatpost, not the seat tube.

-- Jim

--

CycloFiend

Holden wrote:
> I posted this on another group, and it was suggested I try her:

it's up to the scope of your idea of maintenance.
do you want just to clean the chain of the bike? or do you want to
overhaul the bottom bracket? or build wheels?
the best thing imo would be to a buy standard set of spanners and
sockets, grease and oils. then get the right special tool for the job
you want to do on your bike, when needed.
you can find the right one in the park tool site for example. they give
an exact description of what tool is needed for what and for what make,
and also let you find the right one by category.
take care not to do things that might void you of warranty
carbon frames need extra care in the areas in which carbon fibers
connect to metal parts

> I would like to start "turning a wrench" at home. I have a nice work
> stand, but no tools. I have kestrel/orbea frames w/ shimano components.
> I have threadless headsets.
> I have looked around at different "tool kits" by Park, Pedros,
> Peformance, Nashbar, etc. but after reading some posts most folks say
> you only need a few tools to do most jobs and some of the kits have
> unnecessary or inferior tools.
> What tools *exactly* will I need to do most maintenance jobs, up to and
> including removing chain for cleaning and making any other adjustments
> in the drivetrain.
> Also, should I stick w/ Park tools?? any other brands OK?
>
> Thanks,

<< What tools *exactly* will I need to do most maintenance jobs, up to and
including removing chain for cleaning and making any other adjustments
in the drivetrain.
Also, should I stick w/ Park tools?? any other brands OK? >>

You'll need some basic, generic hand tools including assorted screwdrivers,
pliers, and a 3/8" ratchet handle or torque wrench. Then start with these
bike-specific tools. I use Park tools, but they are probably no better or worse
than other similar brands. Regarding removing the chain specifically for
cleaning, half of us don't bother to do it, the rest recommend installing a
snaplink connector which can be opened/closed by hand.

Metric allen keys 2.5mm-8mm
13/14 /15/16mm cone wrenches (for brake calipers, hubs)
cable housing cutter
"third hand" brake tool
15mm pedal wrench
bottom bracket installer tool
cassette lockring remover tool
chain whip
chain breaker tool
spoke wrench
basic truing stand
degreaser/solvent, tube of grease, anti-sieze compound, lots of rags

On 24 Dec 2004 08:32:17 -0800, "Holden" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I posted this on another group, and it was suggested I try her:
>
>I would like to start "turning a wrench" at home. I have a nice work
>stand, but no tools. I have kestrel/orbea frames w/ shimano components.
>I have threadless headsets.
>I have looked around at different "tool kits" by Park, Pedros,
>Peformance, Nashbar, etc. but after reading some posts most folks say
>you only need a few tools to do most jobs and some of the kits have
>unnecessary or inferior tools.
>What tools *exactly* will I need to do most maintenance jobs, up to and
>including removing chain for cleaning and making any other adjustments
>in the drivetrain.

Here's what I consider to be the basic stuff:

A set of cone wrenches; needed for repacking the wheel bearings.
If you don't have quick-release wheels, wrenches appropriate for the
nuts on the axles.
5mm and 6mm Allen wrenches.
The appropriate tool(s) to remove your freewheel or cassette.
A #2 Phillips-bit screwdriver. Get a good one.
Tire levers, patch kit and pump, if you don't already have them.
A chain tool, and if you intend to clean your chain by removing it
from the bike, get a reusable connector link like the SRAM Powerlink
rather than pushing pins out and in each time.
Box-end wrenches in the sizes appropriate for the other hex-head
fasteners on your bike.
An oil can with motor oil or your favorite chain lube in it.

>Also, should I stick w/ Park tools?? any other brands OK?

I like Park for the special stuff like cone wrenches and the cassette
tool, but I find that the better brands from Wal-Mart work perfectly
well for such items as box-end wrenches, screwdrivers and the like.
Stanley's tools are now made in Taiwan and China, but they appear to
have improved in the process. I haven't had any complaints about the
few Nasbar items I have, but I will note that I've seen some truly
awful bike tool kits in certain sporting goods stores.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Any opinions on Topeak's Alien 2 toolset?

"Holden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I posted this on another group, and it was suggested I try her:
>
> I would like to start "turning a wrench" at home. I have a nice work
> stand, but no tools. I have kestrel/orbea frames w/ shimano components.
> I have threadless headsets.
> I have looked around at different "tool kits" by Park, Pedros,
> Peformance, Nashbar, etc. but after reading some posts most folks say
> you only need a few tools to do most jobs and some of the kits have
> unnecessary or inferior tools.
> What tools *exactly* will I need to do most maintenance jobs, up to and
> including removing chain for cleaning and making any other adjustments
> in the drivetrain.
> Also, should I stick w/ Park tools?? any other brands OK?
>
> Thanks,

"Holden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I posted this on another group, and it was suggested I try her:
>
> I would like to start "turning a wrench" at home. I have a nice work
> stand, but no tools. I have kestrel/orbea frames w/ shimano components.
> I have threadless headsets.
> I have looked around at different "tool kits" by Park, Pedros,
> Peformance, Nashbar, etc. but after reading some posts most folks say
> you only need a few tools to do most jobs and some of the kits have
> unnecessary or inferior tools.
> What tools *exactly* will I need to do most maintenance jobs, up to and
> including removing chain for cleaning and making any other adjustments
> in the drivetrain.
> Also, should I stick w/ Park tools?? any other brands OK?
>
> Thanks,

For starters I'd recommend a good set of metric Allen keys, a screwdriver
set. a good cable cutter, a spoke wrench and a good chain breaker. Get top
quality tools.

Marty

"Scott Prell" wrote:
> Any opinions on Topeak's Alien 2 toolset?

That's more for taking with you on rides (light and compact) than for
at-home maintenece. I've never been a big fan of those multi-tool things, or
even "tool sets" in general. On rides, I carry a couple of allen keys, tire
levers, chain tool, spoke wrench, and plastic tie wraps.

Art Harris

I bought one of those $50 Big toolkits from Nashbar when I wanted to
start "turning a wrench" at home a few years ago. You can just about
take your entire bike apart and put it back together with that one box.
Its portable too so I keep it in the car to make those last second
adjustments before rides. Whenever there was something that wasn't in
there, I ended up buying a Park tool. The Park tools are superior and
worth the extra $$ if you don't mind spending. In either case you will
end up saving $$ in the long run by doing the work yourself. There's
also the fun factor involved(better tools make it more even more fun)
and eventually when you get good at it your bike will run better than
ever because no one will ever care more than you.

Holden wrote:
> I posted this on another group, and it was suggested I try her:
>
> I would like to start "turning a wrench" at home. I have a nice work
> stand, but no tools. I have kestrel/orbea frames w/ shimano

components.
> I have threadless headsets.
> I have looked around at different "tool kits" by Park, Pedros,
> Peformance, Nashbar, etc. but after reading some posts most folks say
> you only need a few tools to do most jobs and some of the kits have
> unnecessary or inferior tools.
> What tools *exactly* will I need to do most maintenance jobs, up to

and
> including removing chain for cleaning and making any other

adjustments
> in the drivetrain.
> Also, should I stick w/ Park tools?? any other brands OK?
>
> Thanks,

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 07:35:48 -0500, "Arthur Harris" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Scott Prell" wrote:
>> Any opinions on Topeak's Alien 2 toolset?

>That's more for taking with you on rides (light and compact) than for
>at-home maintenece. I've never been a big fan of those multi-tool things, or
>even "tool sets" in general. On rides, I carry a couple of allen keys, tire
>levers, chain tool, spoke wrench, and plastic tie wraps.

i took a look at my bike and thought about what fixes i might
have to do on the road
1. flat tire - need tire levers and spare tube or patches
2. chain break - need chain tool and experience
3. loose handlebar - allen?
4. bent wheel or loose spoke - spoke tool
5. remove wheels - proper size wrench(s)
6. adjust seat - proper size wrench

for 5 and 6 a 6-inch adjustable wrench works

At home I have my toolcase with everything in it.
....thehick